This is definitely not up to Gorilla Glass standards

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the main difference between this glass and gorilla glass is something on the surface. The phones I have owned other than this have always had a very hard exterior that felt almost like tempered glass. The nexus has a more dull type of coating in my personal opinion. If you tap it with a key for example it doesn't sound as hard of a tap as the other brands seem to if that makes sense. The nexus sounds more like a dull thud than a loud smack

Tedium

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the main difference between this glass and gorilla glass is something on the surface. The phones I have owned other than this have always had a very hard exterior that felt almost like tempered glass. The nexus has a more dull type of coating in my personal opinion. If you tap it with a key for example it doesn't sound as hard of a tap as the other brands seem to if that makes sense. The nexus sounds more like a dull thud than a loud smack

The Droid X2 was the first phone I handled that had a Gorilla Glass screen and it was exactly this way. I thought it felt more like plastic.

My EVO had the more substantial "glassy" feel, and that isn't Gorilla Glass.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Accidents will happen, and they can happen to anyone. However, they won't happen to everyone.

I've been fortunate enough in the "haven't scratched my screen in my pocket" department ever since I got my first smartphone (1st gen iPhone) and I don't ever use screen protectors. So far I'm looking to extending that record with my GNex.

bbruin66

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
After further investigating my OG droid I see two deep nicks in the screen. However, the difference with my Nexus is that the deep nicks or scratches are surrounded by shallower ones that you can feel or see unless you turn the screen off, and angle it at sunlight. The OG droid has none of these. The Nexus glass IS softer, it has a ton of minor scratches. For those of you with out protectors, sit in a sunny room, turn the screen off, wipe it off with a clean cloth and really look closely at it angled towards a bright window, I bet you find marks.

I have these minor scratches going in all directions, quite a few on the very bottom lip of the glass FWIW I always but my phone in my pocket top down (with the USB facing up towards me). Maybe ill try facing the glass outwards and see if I get less scratching.

I still love my Nexus.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
After further investigating my OG droid I see two deep nicks in the screen. However, the difference with my Nexus is that the deep nicks or scratches are surrounded by shallower ones that you can feel or see unless you turn the screen off, and angle it at sunlight. The OG droid has none of these.
I have these minor scratches going in all directions, quite a few on the very bottom lip of the glass FWIW I always but my phone in my pocket top down (with the USB facing up towards me). Maybe ill try facing the glass outwards and see if I get less scratching.

Dude you need to find something else to keep yourself busy. Stop looking at your screen. There are no scratches in my screen, and I refuse screen protectors. They are so 2007. Those are like wearing a Hefty Bag to the Oscars lol.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Before lunch, cleaned my screen. Did not take my phone out of my pocket during lunch. There is nothing in my pocket (no keys, etc). I didn't have time to scan with my sand detector. Came back from lunch, went to check the time, and noticed two nicks in the screen, to the right of where the original scratch was that inspired this thread. At first I thought the screen was dirty, so I buffed the screen with a polishing cloth that came with my Transformer Prime. They still don't come out.

They look like small tiny white divots. Again they can only bee seen really with the screen off, so that's a good thing.

Over the last four years I have owned the G1, Nexus One, HTC Sensation before the Galaxy Nexus. I never had a single scratch on any of them (that I could see). I rarely used screen protectors. I always care for my phones. I have never even had insurance! Now in ONE MONTH of purchase my new phone has 3 wounds on the screen.

Either all of a sudden I have become some reckless, surfer dude who goes to the beach wearing khakis with my Nexus in a pocket and single grain of sand, or this phone has a much softer glass than other phones. That combined with the fact that the screen is jet black when turned off, which makes the white glint of the scratches stand out more than on other phones, which typically have a charcoal gray/greenish hue when turned off.

Whatever, I guess this is something I will have to live with, or get used to the InvisibleShield when it arrives. I love the phone too much too care anymore.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
When deciding whether to purchase the Galaxy Nexus, one of the specs I disliked was the lack of Corning Gorilla Glass. I can't understand why such a high end phone would skimp out on such an important everyday hardware feature. At the time I had an HTC Sensation and has Gorilla Glass and I never used a screen protector and never had a scratch. Always kept it in my pocket. But I read that Samsung was saying they used an alternative "hardened glass". Plus the fact that I used a Nexus One that lacked Gorilla Glass and never got a scratch because it had a special "hardened glass" as well.

1. there's not enough GG to go around. and samsung gets one of those company that gets largest amount of GG from corning. (there's certain quotas for companies)
2. Corning cant make curved shaped GG. (well they can make it now but they cant mass produce it)
3. if its not GG, its all asahi's soda lime for samsung smartphones. there's shortage for soda lime as well but.. asahi's soda lime is next best after GG. (before they developed dragontrail), its better than Iphone4, 4s's backglass which is cheap chinese soda lime.

Tedium

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
1. there's not enough GG to go around. and samsung gets one of those company that gets largest amount of GG from corning. (there's certain quotas for companies)
2. Corning cant make curved shaped GG. (well they can make it now but they cant mass produce it)
3. if its not GG, its all asahi's soda lime for samsung smartphones. there's shortage for soda lime as well but.. asahi's soda lime is next best after GG. (before they developed dragontrail), its better than Iphone4, 4s's backglass which is cheap chinese soda lime.

"Soda lime glass" is what we call "normal glass," if you want to examine some go to the nearest window. There is nothing special about it. The Asahi stuff is alkali aluminosilicate, just like Gorilla Glass.

Edit: To clarify: If it were "soda lime glass" on this phone, it'd be "glass." Not "fortified glass."

Last edited:

Laughing Man

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
After further investigating my OG droid I see two deep nicks in the screen. However, the difference with my Nexus is that the deep nicks or scratches are surrounded by shallower ones that you can feel or see unless you turn the screen off, and angle it at sunlight. The OG droid has none of these. The Nexus glass IS softer, it has a ton of minor scratches. For those of you with out protectors, sit in a sunny room, turn the screen off, wipe it off with a clean cloth and really look closely at it angled towards a bright window, I bet you find marks.

I still love my Nexus.

I'm assuming you meant can't see or feel unless you turn off the screen and angle it in the light. For the scratches you can't feel it's probably a scratch in whatever they use to coat the glass on the screen to reduce the impact of fingerprint oil. My iPad2 has a few of them around the edges despite using a screen cover when it's not being used and carrying it in a carrying case.

I suspect most phones have this layer too.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
check out Ghost Armor, Ive used so many protectors on various devices and these ones were easily my favorites. Plus they have a lifetime warranty so if you get a new phone or your protector starts to get marked up just get another one put on for free. Not sure where youre located but they even have kiosks in malls here that you can go to and theyll do it for you for only $5 install.

Just got Ghost Armor and I like it a lot better than the XO skin I had on previously. You can't even notice its on your phone. If I were to compare it to something, it's like Zagg invisible shield HD version for the iPhone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hs5964

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had two phones with Gorilla Glass, Galaxy S 1 & 2, both phones I babied, both phones got scratched easily. I think the glass on my Gnex might be better than any I've had, we'll see how it holds up after a few months.

jopher

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
i dont know if it was mentioned in this thread, but over at XDA (i'm too lazy to pinpoint the specific thread) there was talks that mentioned that the oleophobic coating that lies on top of the Gnex screen is really prone to scratches, however teh actual glass itself isnt as easy to scratch. but i read this like a few months back so my info might have gone bad/been debunked.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When deciding whether to purchase the Galaxy Nexus, one of the specs I disliked was the lack of Corning Gorilla Glass. I can't understand why such a high end phone would skimp out on such an important everyday hardware feature. At the time I had an HTC Sensation and has Gorilla Glass and I never used a screen protector and never had a scratch. Always kept it in my pocket. But I read that Samsung was saying they used an alternative "hardened glass". Plus the fact that I used a Nexus One that lacked Gorilla Glass and never got a scratch because it had a special "hardened glass" as well.

I have had the Nexus for 1 month and on Saturday, I briefly threw it into my coat pocket with my keys as I was running around getting my son ready for baseball tryouts. Realized my error, but by the time I took the phone out, it already had a deep quarter inch scratch on the left side of the screen, two-thirds the way down. This isn't just a light scratch either. When running my fingernail down the side, my nail actually falls into the crevice. To the right is an inch-long very light scratch that must have been where it started as the key raked across the screen as a I pulled it out of my pocket.

That's why I don't get all these YouTube videos showing keys scratching the Gnex. I think they are made up. How can a phone's screen survive a deliberate keying and yet not survive with a key in my pocket?

I absolutely hate screen protectors but I just ordered an InvisibleShield for it. At least that will cover hide the existing scratch a bit and prevent additional. This screen is definitely susceptible to scratches. And not just light ones. You probably don't have one yet, but eventually you'll catch one.

What exactly are Gorilla Glass standards? Does Corning guarantee that their glass will not scratch when it is placed in a pocket with keys, dust, sand, or most any other abrasive type of substance? Does Gorilla Glass guarantee that their glass will not crack?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Just got Ghost Armor and I like it a lot better than the XO skin I had on previously. You can't even notice its on your phone. If I were to compare it to something, it's like Zagg invisible shield HD version for the iPhone.

I am going to check in my local mall and see if I see a kiosk.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
What exactly are Gorilla Glass standards? Does Corning guarantee that their glass will not scratch when it is placed in a pocket with keys, dust, sand, or most any other abrasive type of substance? Does Gorilla Glass guarantee that their glass will not crack?
I doubt it because the iPhone 4 has Gorilla Glass and it will shatter if dropped and it hits the ground or something at the right angle.

drewfus0929

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Idk how the hell you guys that had an Incredible never got a scratch. That is the cheapest, softest screen I have ever used. Saying the GNEX has a weaker screen then the Incredible must be a joke.

JRZLocal

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy into the whole gorilla glass stuff. Most of my friends with iPhones have gone thru at least I screen. I always resell my phones after I upgrade so I always use a case and screen protectors and never had a problem with keys scratching the phone.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Idk how the hell you guys that had an Incredible never got a scratch. That is the cheapest, softest screen I have ever used. Saying the GNEX has a weaker screen then the Incredible must be a joke.

This. The Incredible has the softest and most plastic screen I've had since I owned an LG Chocolate.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
"Soda lime glass" is what we call "normal glass," if you want to examine some go to the nearest window. There is nothing special about it. The Asahi stuff is alkali aluminosilicate, just like Gorilla Glass.

Edit: To clarify: If it were "soda lime glass" on this phone, it'd be "glass." Not "fortified glass."

when I used the term soda lime here, it didnt mean its just regular window glass, its the type of fortified glass.
traditional LCD panel glasls was non alkaline borosilicate glass, the process has to go thru 300 celcius heat treatment and it would taint glass if it contained alkaine subs. (such as Asahi's AN635, AN100)
at around 2007, they developed new lower temperature process to use soda lime for smaller screen LCD so since then samsung SDI's panel glasses 90% were asahi's soda lime (Asahi AS) and 10% were corning's gorilla glass.

as for alkali aluminosilicate, thats Dragontrail and they just developed it last year, (siimlar as GG and it goes thru ion exchange treatment to fortify it)

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it because the iPhone 4 has Gorilla Glass and it will shatter if dropped and it hits the ground or something at the right angle.
Well you say in your title for the thread that the screen on the Galaxy Nexus isn't up to Gorilla Glass standards. I'd like to know what those standards are. Because even in the above you seem to state that Gorilla Glass wouldn't have protected your phone from what you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174