This is definitely not up to Gorilla Glass standards

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It seems like folks forget that these phones, especially the Nexus are mostly glass on the front. Whether it is Gorilla Glass or not, you need to treat it with some care. Personally, I would never put any touchscreen phone into my pocket with keys or otherwise. I don't even do that with my ipod touch.

I think no matter how careful you are with these at some point, something bad is going to happen when put your phone into pockets.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone since launch with no case and no screen protection, it doesn't have any scratches or marks of any kind. How is this possible? I don't drop it and I don't put it into a pocket with keys/change etc.

I will admit that at times it is annoying to have to be concerned about scratching it, but seriously, it's a piece of shiny glass, you can't expect it to be scratch proof regardless of the brand of glass used.

All of that being said, there is a minor manufacturing imperfection in my screen surface, a slight dent in the glass. I can only see it when I tilt it back and forth in the light. I've always wondered if anyone else has anything like that?

I thought I had the same, but I couldn't see it without making myself see it, if that makes sense.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
these threads are ridiculous with the people who say they didnt scratch so and so phone but scratched this one......so you got lucky with the other phone and unlucky with this one......I had a droid for two years and it was scratched to hell and back. Ill have this phone for almost two years and it will be scratched to hell and back.....although currently its holding up great. It doesnt matter if its got gg or not if you put something harder than it on top of it and move it back and forth with pressure it will scratch. The op has got a deep scratch and hes blaming the glass. As if the mere presence of a set of key in his pocket caused enough pressure to create a deep scratch. Samsungs only mistake in not using gg was to give people the excuse to rationalize their own mishandling of their phones.

Here we go...

What it shows you is that some phones' glass are more susceptible to scratches to others. I think it says something one people who have had 3-4 phones before this one never had a screen scratch, suddenly a week into owning the Galaxy Nexus of all a sudden they have one or more than one. This is more than just luck, whether good or bad.

I had a Sensation, never had a scratch. I had the Nexus One, never had a scratch. I put them in the same pockets. My wife had a G2 before her Galaxy Nexus and that thing never had a scratch on it, despite being thrown into a huge Coach purse with sharp objects.

The fact of the matter is that Gorilla Glass (and Gorilla Glass 2) are superior glass. Whatever HTC uses is superior glass. Whatever Samsung used on the Gnex is obviously not as good. I don't care if I put a box cuter to the Gnex and it scratches.... If I put that same box cutter to a phone with Gorilla Glass and it doesn't scratch, then the Gnex glass in inferior.

I love the phone and would not trade it for any other phone, but sometimes flaws have to be admited. P.S., check your glass. You have jinxed yourself. ;)

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
maybe i am super careful with my phones but i have never used a screen protector and i have never had a scratch. still going strong on my naked nexus *knock on wood*

basically anything softer than glass will not scratch the screen (keys are usually made of brass which is a lot softer than glass so they usually shouldn't scratch glass...gorilla or any other) however something harder than glass, like, say, sand, will scratch the glass fairly quickly/easily. that is why, when i go to the beach, i ALWAYS wash my hands before touching my phone, and i never put it in my pocket after coming back from the beach.

i always keep my phone in a pocket all by itself, NOTHING is in there with it. and i am pretty confident i can go my entire contract with a naked phone and come away with a perfect screen...but this is me, sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day, and being pretty careful where i store the phone.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
maybe i am super careful with my phones but i have never used a screen protector and i have never had a scratch. still going strong on my naked nexus *knock on wood*

basically anything softer than glass will not scratch the screen (keys are usually made of brass which is a lot softer than glass so they usually shouldn't scratch glass...gorilla or any other) however something harder than glass, like, say, sand, will scratch the glass fairly quickly/easily. that is why, when i go to the beach, i ALWAYS wash my hands before touching my phone, and i never put it in my pocket after coming back from the beach.

i always keep my phone in a pocket all by itself, NOTHING is in there with it. and i am pretty confident i can go my entire contract with a naked phone and come away with a perfect screen...but this is me, sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day, and being pretty careful where i store the phone.

Exactly. On top of that, if you put your phone in a CLEAN sleeve before you put it into your pocket, then nothing will touch it. That's why I like to use my sleeve (or sock).

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site

So essentially you are saying that the glass on the Galaxy Nexus glass is not harder than brass. Remember, it's not Gorilla Glass. And keys easily scratch it, with a slight amount of pressure, not the fake swipes people do on a YouTube video.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So essentially you are saying that the glass on the Galaxy Nexus glass is not harder than brass. Remember, it's not Gorilla Glass. And keys easily scratch it, with a slight amount of pressure, not the fake swipes people do on a YouTube video.

Without measuring the pressure, saying it's an easy amount of pressure might be a bit superficial and generalized IMO.

Since I'm getting a replacement in a couple days, I may see what scratches and what doesn't. May need a drink beforehand, however.

Castor_troyy

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line... Don't blame anyone or anything else but yourself for the scratch. Is GG better, yeah probably, but you knew this wasn't GG and put it in your pocket with keys anyway.

Granted, getting a scratch sucks (I know personally), and it'd be nice not to have to worry about it happening, but thats just not in the cards.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Another one of these.. SMH when will people learn?? If you choose to roll around with your phone naked dont complain when something happens..

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I must either be really lucky or really smart with how I handle my phones.

Had an OG Droid for 20 months and it never scratched. The screen didn't work in the homestretch, but at least it wasn't scratched up. I never put a screen protector on it. I've had the Galaxy Nexus since its launch last December and the screen is still flawless. I have a thin case for the phone, but still no screen protector. I think all of them are absolute garbage and wastes of money.

I don't really do anything crazy, but I'd like to think I take care of my device I paid $300 plus data for. I wipe down the screen with my shirt sleeve if I see lots of prints/marks on it, I clean the dust particles that collect on the edges of the screen, and I keep it in its own pocket (putting it with my key ring would make for a snug fit).

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You just have to remember that a single grain of sand in your pocket can scratch the glass, so even if you're really careful you might still get small scratches.

Like your health teacher says .. use protection! :)

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Another one of these.. SMH when will people learn?? If you choose to roll around with your phone naked dont complain when something happens..

The problem is that we've been spoiled by phones of the past 2 years. I think that the issue is, at least for me, that this highly heralded phone wasn't as good with regard to glass as many of its predecessors.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I quit screen protectors when I got my Inc. 2 years later and the glass is near perfect. I'll risk a couple small nicks to get the purest viewing experience.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
glass is glass, if something is harder than glass it is going to scratch it, fortified, "gorilla'ed" or not.

i had a droid X which had scratches on the screen (previous owner not me) so its not like gorilla glass is scratch proof. it is glass,just a little harder than typical glass. just like the Gnex Glass.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
No scratches here.

My tip is to have a dedicated cell phone pocket. Stop throwing your phone with sharp objects its silly and asking for your phone to get scratched.

My left pocket has been my dedicated cell phone pocket for years and I always make sure there isn't a sharp object in there and I wouldn't DARE put my cell phone in the same pocket as my keys.

It's really easy effective solution.

Tedium

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

Steel is 5 on the Mohs scale of hardness. Brass is softer than steel at 3.5. Regular, non-hardened silica glass is 6-7.

Your statement is a dumb statement.

Gorilla glass has been around since 1960. Any patent protection on it is long since gone. Any company is free to copy the chemical structure of it exactly and do anything they want with it, besides call it Gorilla Glass.

All of these alkali-aluminosilicate glass products are chemically and functionally identical, and there is no evidence to the contrary. Your pocket is not evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174