Thoughts on the pentile screen?

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
No, The average user won't notice or care about the multitasking, as shown by the many delighted apple migrants. The people who have issues with it could easily fix it if they don't like it. I did in under an hour and I'm a total android noob. That's a pretty minor inconvenience. But whatever.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Actualy my wife is the most un tech savy smart phone person I know. All she asked for in her new phone. Was call, text, faceboook, and some light gaming. Thats it.

After 2 days we took the, in her words, "piece of broken sh*t" back to at&t for a vivid which she loves.

Want to know why? He very simple phone use in mind. The HTC flagship couldn't handle her playing a light game, replying to a text and going back to the game game. Every time her games had to be started over from the beginning after a reload.

The one-X may be working the way HTC wants. But it is completly broken.,

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
No, The average user won't notice or care about the multitasking, as shown by the many delighted apple migrants. The people who have issues with it could easily fix it if they don't like it. I did in under an hour and I'm a total android noob. That's a pretty minor inconvenience. But whatever.

The HTC One X multitasking may be functioning the way HTC intended, however it is not functioning properly (as Google intended). Devices should work without any extreme modifications (such as rooting & roms). The edge of Android multitasking is background processes, this is not happening properly on the One X. A fix hopefully will be released.
What's your PayPal address so I can send you some money so you can buy a clue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
Can I get some money for a clue? Clues start at $100...shall I PM? O:)

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One X multitasking may be functioning the way HTC intended, however it is not functioning properly (as Google intended). Devices should work without any extreme modifications (such as rooting & roms). The edge of Android multitasking is background processes, this is not happening properly on the One X. A fix hopefully will be released.

Can I get some money for a clue? Clues start at $100...shall I PM? O:)

If you can't do an hour if noob friendly set-up you don't deserve or need a high end smartphone. Just fyi, touchwiz doesn't work as google intended either ie. Gingerbread buttons on an ice cream sandwich phone. If you want it the way google intended you have to put pure google on your phone, which is just stupid easy.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Let's not get started on the topic of "how Google intended" and let's keep this on the topic of the displays.

I'll leave you guys to the discussion now, because the same key points keep getting said back and forth. Standards do exist. It's a fact. Whether or not people care is obviously a preference.

I would prefer my display to always display as close to real life as possible. No, what constitutes real life isn't debatable. It's how it looks outside. It's nature.

I'm just glad that THX and IMAX do the calibrating of the projectors and displays used at my movie theater (or whoever they hire to professionally do it).

@Suntan How you calibrate your stuff probably looks great to you. Heck, it would probably look great to me. But that doesn't mean I would prefer it. We each have "trained" our eyes and brains to like things to look a certain way. A slight bluish tint is naturally more pleasing to the eye, but that doesn't make it correct. I would rather see something properly calibrated to display things they would be seen in reality, though, and let my brain get retrained on how that looks.

@everyone else I'll still be around obviously. I just probably won't publicly participate in this thread (unless I need to do some moderating in here again). It's a conflict of interest to participate in a discussion and moderate it at the same time. I would hate for anyone to get the wrong idea of why I decided to moderate something in here and think it's because I didn't agree with what's being said.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

P.S. Feel free to reply to this comment, too, because it wouldn't be fair for me to automatically assume I get the last word. :)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not one of those screen snobs so that said, people really make a big deal over pentile and i just don't get it. Yeah i saw some of the old motorola screens and yes, that would haunt my nightmares too, but things have gotten so much better. My current moto phone (photon) doesn't bother me one bit. Sure i notice a difference between my NS4G and moto and both are pentile but neither offer a bad user experience at all.

Kevin is big into displays so a pentile would drive him nuts, but i wonder sometimes if the all the out cry might be a little over done. My eyes are sensitive enough to see screen redraws at 60hz but pentile doesn't impact me.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
If you can't do an hour if noob friendly set-up you don't deserve or need a high end smartphone. Just fyi, touchwiz doesn't work as google intended either ie. Gingerbread buttons on an ice cream sandwich phone. If you want it the way google intended you have to put pure google on your phone, which is just stupid easy.

The point that is being made here is if you have to flash a custom ROM on your phone to get functionality expected by previous Android phone users, you have a design flaw. Sense 3 did not have this issue, so why would the purchaser of a phone with Sense 4 think it would be any different? Regardless of the apologists that exist on the forums about this "aggressive" memory management, this is an ANDROID phone, not a "SENSE" phone. If we are going to start playing word games about what constitutes an Android phone and what doesn't, the HTC One X should never have been reviewed on the Android Central Site, since it is not an "Android" phone.

In my particular case, I purchased my HOX internationally based on the reviews of this site and others. After I realized what the issue with the multitasking was on the phone, I attempted to return it. I was told to get lost. So, the argument that there is a return period does not apply in my case.

Regardless, if you like the HOX, that's great. It's a nice piece of hardware. I thought of flashing CM on it, but I was worried about losing the picture software and the effect on Beats Audio.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The point that is being made here is if you have to flash a custom ROM on your phone to get functionality expected by previous Android phone users, you have a design flaw. Sense 3 did not have this issue, so why would the purchaser of a phone with Sense 4 think it would be any different? Regardless of the apologists that exist on the forums about this "aggressive" memory management, this is an ANDROID phone, not a "SENSE" phone. If we are going to start playing word games about what constitutes an Android phone and what doesn't, the HTC One X should never have been reviewed on the Android Central Site, since it is not an "Android" phone.

In my particular case, I purchased my HOX internationally based on the reviews of this site and others. After I realized what the issue with the multitasking was on the phone, I attempted to return it. I was told to get lost. So, the argument that there is a return period does not apply in my case.

Regardless, if you like the HOX, that's great. It's a nice piece of hardware. I thought of flashing CM on it, but I was worried about losing the picture software and the effect on Beats Audio.

They told you to get lost? Where on earth did you get your phone. If it cane from a carrier you have 30 days. That should be enough time to see if multitasking is an issue for you. Anyway as Kevin said, this is about displays.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
They told you to get lost? Where on earth did you get your phone. If it cane from a carrier you have 30 days. That should be enough time to see if multitasking is an issue for you. Anyway as Kevin said, this is about displays.

It wasn't from a carrier. It was from Expansys USA and was imported. I thought it was going to be a European model, but it was imported from Asia. Don't buy from them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't from a carrier. It was from Expansys USA and was imported. I thought it was going to be a European model, but it was imported from Asia. Don't buy from them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ouch ... and people were pissed about the big 3 going to 14 day return (t-mo is 20). No return policy sucks, at least allow them and tack on a restocking fee right???

markhallyo

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The pixel sharing might irk many of us on AC, but I don't think it's going to be a major problem overall. Just because it isn't as nice on paper and under a microscope as the One X's display doesn't mean it won't be damn good

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The pixel sharing might irk many of us on AC, but I don't think it's going to be a major problem overall. Just because it isn't as nice on paper and under a microscope as the One X's display doesn't mean it won't be damn good
20 bucks says I'll be able to see it at arms length.

I'll probably get the S3, but I still wish it was SLCD.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You know, I just dont get it why people complain so much about the Galaxy S III's display. Yes it may be Pentile but still its a really good high resolution display. Now it might not be as good as the HTC One X's Super LCD display but Super AMOLED produces very sharp contrast between colors, deep blacks and its also more power efficient than an LCD based display since it needs no back light to luminate the screen. Here is a comparison of all three generations of the Galaxy S and the G Nex.

Okay so first there is the Galaxy S, it had a Pentile Super AMOLED display, the resolution of the screen was lower so it visually didnt look so good at times. Next there is the Galaxy S II, biger screen size and it was Super AMOLED Plus which uses an RGB matrix. Next there is the Galaxy Nexus, larger screen Super AMOLED HD with a Pentile sub pixel arangement like the Galaxy S III that comes after it. As a comparison to the Pentile based Galaxy S it looks so much better. Samsung did do its homework here and the reason the SGS3 has a Pentile display is because Pentile displays do have longer longevity than RGB displays. The blue subpixels tend to deteriate the fastest so its better in a sense with Pentile displays because the subpixels are shared.

In my personal opinion, the SGS3's display doesn't bother me the least bit because when I look for a phone, apperance isnt really a big deal. Its all about the features and I think the Galaxy S III has some amazing features. Long story short, if you don't like the phone, then go buy you an HTC One X or some other device.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

I agree. Based upon what I have seen, the pictures and videos on the GS3 show better contrast and detail than the HOX. Imo, it is all about the overall function over form. With each device you are gaining some and sacrificing in others. The key is balance. The GS3 is going to be a whole new experience for me coming from a BB9810.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Based upon what I have seen, the pictures and videos on the GS3 show better contrast and detail than the HOX. Imo, it is all about the overall function over form. With each device you are gaining some and sacrificing in others. The key is balance. The GS3 is going to be a whole new experience for me coming from a BB9810.

Contrast, sure. To the point of turning darker colors pitch black. Detail? No. And that's not an opinion, that's fact. The S3's subpixels are spaced almost twice as wide apart. Anyone with 20/20 vision can easily see that the S3's display does not produce as sharp of a picture. Still stoked for my S3 to arrive, the display looks decent when not looking at dark images/films. The image burning into the screen issue has me worried though.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Contrast, sure. To the point of turning darker colors pitch black. Detail? No. And that's not an opinion, that's fact. The S3's subpixels are spaced almost twice as wide apart. Anyone with 20/20 vision can easily see that the S3's display does not produce as sharp of a picture. Still stoked for my S3 to arrive, the display looks decent when not looking at dark images/films. The image burning into the screen issue has me worried though.

If you do not use the alarm clock feature display overnight or leave the screen on for extended period the burn in might not effect your phone...

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Dave4321

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
20 bucks says I'll be able to see it at arms length.

I'll probably get the S3, but I still wish it was SLCD.

I could see issues in text on the Galaxy Nexus. Hopefully the "improved" pentile screen will be less visible. Who holds a phone at arms length too. I hold it about 8 inches from my face.

Reactions: jroc

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I could see issues in text on the Galaxy Nexus. Hopefully the "improved" pentile screen will be less visible. Who holds a phone at arms length too. I hold it about 8 inches from my face.

I was gonna say the same thing....lol.

The max distance I hold my phone and still be able to use it comfortably is 1ft, 3 - 6 inches. I have measured this distance ever since the infamous PENTILE SCREEN came out for the Bionic.

8 inches is too close for me on a regular basis tho...at 8inches I can make out the Pentile issues alot more. And I see it in white text easy at that distance. I cant really see it in black, dark text at all. At 8 inches...I'm in the bed with my phone.

I have been saying this ever since the Bionic came out....we all dont have the same normal viewing distances. At my arms lengths is 2ft 8 inches. So....its either 1 of 2 things if one can see it at arms length:

1. they must have short arms
2. they have extremely good eyesight.

The wild part in all this....I'm using my RAZR as reference. The screen on the GS3 ...the Pentile is less noticeable. Cuz it was less noticeable when I had the G Nex. I think it has something to do with the fonts of ICS too, not sure.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^ well I don't mean the arm straight out of course, I guess I mean bent like a normal person to read and use the phone.

For me that is about a foot away.

I can clearly see pixels/pixel spacing on the RAZR MAXX. If its anywhere near that, it's a no go for me.

NightxFall

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon but all GS3 models are the same so it doesn't matter, but here's my opinion: I can't tell the difference between qHD and HD on anything 4.5" and under unless I'm streaming HD video. I can't even make out individual pixels. However, on pentile screens (like the Nexus and most motorola phones), I can definitely see a difference on pentile vs non pentile. The HD screen on the Nexus definitely helps with it, but I can still notice its pentile even if its not right up to my face. GS3 sounds like its improved on that from the reviews

Sent from my Ally using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000