TL;DR - Best Buy is a terrible place to shop.

Matt Manahan

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Warning: Rant ahead.

I consistently have a poor shopping experience at Best Buy. Yesterday continued the trend.

I wanted to see the Honor 8 in person, so I went to my "local" Best Buy (40 minutes away). I asked if they had an Honor 8 demo. The clerk pointed to a phone at an endcap by itself. The display label stated Nexus 6P. The phone had a huge security lock on the back (bigger than that on other phones), so it was difficult to get a good feel of it. There was no power to it, and they didn't have another working unit. Even though blue is currently a Best Buy exclusive color, the one on display was white. The sales guy was like, "I think it's also available in black and maybe blue." Slightly passive-aggressively, I told him blue was a Best Buy exclusive. I don't expect employees to be as knowledgeable as someone who has spent a lot of time researching a tech item, but Best Buy employees frequently aren't aware of the store's own promotions.

I decided to drive 20 minutes to the Best Buy Mobile store in a nearby mall. None of the phones had powered displays except for an iPhone SE and a cheap BLU phone. I asked if they had the Honor 8. They didn't have it on display, yet, but they had a demo unit. She went to the back and came back with a silver phone. I quickly realized it wasn't an Honor 8 (maybe an Honor 7?) and when I told her I didn't think it was the 8, she said, "Yes, it is. I can even check the settings to make sure." She took the phone, checked the settings, then said, "Oh. Yeah. This isn't the Honor 8."

Fortunately, they did have a working unit, so I eventually was able to test it out. I was impressed with the camera but I didn't test a few other aspects b/c I don't think it had internet access and the sales clerk was looking over my shoulder most of the time.

For Best Buy to be one of the few exclusive US sellers, they're doing a poor job of it...In other news, I think I'm going to buy the Honor 8! But not from Best Buy!

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I genuinely believe Best Buy intentionally hires the dumbest people they interview. I think they think it's funny.

Mine told me if I wanted to see the Honor 8 I had to purchase it. He said "you wont even have to leave the store, just take it out of the box. If you don't like it we will do a quick return." Neglecting to mention the restocking fee. I said no thanks and ordered from Amazon. 1 month return policy and no fees.

Last time I was in there, I was picking up a micro SD card in the camera section. Suddenly, a woman appeared and a man with a blue shirt said "here you go" and walked away from the nice lady. She looked confused for a moment, and said to me, "do you know anything about tripods?" I smiled and said, "sure, what do you need it for?" Her response, "I just need something small to hold my phone up." We walked over to the phone accessories area (where she had already been) and I grabbed a small bendy tripod with a universal clamp off the shelf. She was very happy. The same man from before then reappeared and asked, as if he had never seen us before, "do you guys need help with anything?"

Best buy is the worst :)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
This the exact reason I got my Sony Xperia X that the time retailed for $549, I ended up paying $199. You get the head manager involved over absolute terrible service and get loud about in the store best buy will throw out huge discounts bc they can. The rep in the mobile department wouldn't give me the time of day. Helped me for a minute and literally just walked off while I was asking questions. So I started boiling. She came back and I gave her one more chance. She did the same exact thing. So I didn't just ask for a manger I demanded the man that runs this entire damn store and I want him NOW! So I ask him first why or how does this person in mobile have a job here and in customer service. He said she's their most knowledgeable mobile rep. Then I told him I could give a **** about what she knows. I'm the damn customer and I expect to be served and treated with polite respect. So I will go above your head if you personally don't come to mobile with me right now and help me. I forced him to. He took 50 off and said I'm upgrading you to the Xperia X as I was only grabbing the Xperia XA $249 phone. I didn't ask directly for him to pop out that type of deal but my intent was to explain to him her pathetic attitude towards me right in front of her face. He then had to do something huge. I typically shop at best buy bc they price match. Plus I like to get my phones immediately rather than wait on shipping. Sad thing is she still works there. There is no customer service left these days. Everyone is lazy and don't care. They don't fear their job loss evident by this. When I'm pushed, I can raise some pretty loud and harsh Caine. I took his deal then I later went back and they priced match my honor 8 to 349. I wanted the Blue and they priced matched a store that's not on their list for me. They now all recognize me are over my back trying to help me now. My next phone will probably be the Nexus 6p but I'll have to order the 64g. I wanted every customer around me go flat off. He calmed me when he gave me such a discount. I agree, the only reason best buy exists is bc they generally keep a good level of stock. Terrible service no doubt.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As with any retail store, service will depend greatly on the rep and, IMO, it is management... If they clamp down on the we employees and force them to care then they will. If not... Then many are just there for the paycheck .

I have stories too but I am not going to rehash them here. Main point is it isn't only best Buy but mwny Stores in general... Even the Apple store...

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
As with any retail store, service will depend greatly on the rep and, IMO, it is management... If they clamp down on the we employees and force them to care then they will. If not... Then many are just there for the paycheck .

I have stories too but I am not going to rehash them here. Main point is it isn't only best Buy but mwny Stores in general... Even the Apple store...
Agreed. I technically wanted the Blue Color and Best Buy had two left. They priced matched for me so I got it for $349. That's the best deal I could find anyway so since BB had in stock I went ahead and got it. Fun phone. I sat in my car for over an hour in the BB parking lot figuring out all the settings and layout of this tweaked software interface. I like it.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
There are 2 BB's here that are close.
The two are opposites in service and stock.
One is hard to find help, once you do the sales person actually knows something.
The other store has more floor staff, but they always point you in the wrong direction. This store is more about giving confusing advice to people that don't know much.

I used to frequent Frys a lot, they've gone down hill quite a bit lately also.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
These employees are sales representatives. They are not necessarily product evangelists.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
These employees are sales representatives. They are not necessarily product evangelists.

As a person who's worked many retail sales jobs through high school and college, knowing what you're selling is usually kind of important.

I'm not asking them to be enthusiasts. But when I walk into a store and ask "hey do you have the nexus 6p?". I expect an answer from the person selling the phones. Not a question.

Best buy is one of the only retailers where it's acceptable for an employee to tell a customer, "I don't know, never head of it", about a product that's sitting on their shelves.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As a person who's worked many retail sales jobs through high school and college, knowing what you're selling is usually kind of important.

I'm not asking them to be enthusiasts. But when I walk into a store and ask "hey do you have the nexus 6p?". I expect an answer from the person selling the phones. Not a question.

Best buy is one of the only retailers where it's acceptable for an employee to tell a customer, "I don't know, never head of it", about a product that's sitting on their shelves.

I don't know about acceptable but I have had lots of incompetent sales people. I say incompetent because I can't say with 100% certainty that they weren't just lying to me to make more money off of me

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Other than the three month crack warranty,what are the other benefits from buying from Honor over other vendors?
You still get that regardless. Bought mine from B&H and I got that. You just need a copy of the invoice.

I'm guessing that registration is probably easier though.

Sent from mTalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You still get that regardless. Bought mine from B&H and I got that. You just need a copy of the invoice.

I'm guessing that registration is probably easier though.

Sent from mTalk

Ah nice. Good to know. Hopefully will still be deals next month if Verizon follows through with their threat.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe