Unknown file. Cannot be opened

Boothy99

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I'm having issues with opening downloaded files from Dolphin (Menu / Downloads). I have a Galaxy Tab S4. Android 9. Latest updates. This is not an issue on my other devices with older versions of android.

If I download a file such as a PDF then locate it from Dolphin menu, downloads, when I click on the item, I get -
"Unknown file. Cannot be opened. xxxxx.pdf is an unknown file.". I have Adobe Acrobat reader installed, which is working.

The same issue occurs for other file types which I have appropriate apps associated with them - .mxl / .gp3 / .mid .....all come up with the same error. I have to open my file browser app separately to view the downloads (all of which open as expected).

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
That's understandable, Dolphin is only a browser so to open downloaded files you must use the app associated with them. It's the same as windows, download an excel file and the browser can't open it but excel program will

Boothy99

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Galactic Zoo, I think you misunderstood my query ... an external app opening the file was my expectation, but Dolphin just throws up that error popup on my tablet when I click on the file name. On my phone, each file opens appropriately when I click on them from within menu / downloads. (PDF = Adobe Acrobat Reader opens the file; gp3 = TefViewer opens the file etc.).

B. Daddy .... files are getting stored in the internal memory - Default location = /storage/emulated/0/download. This is the same on my HTC 10 phone, which works fine with various files opened by the appropriate app. Odd.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which Samsung phone?

Go to Dolphin's menu and see if there's an option there to open links within the browser.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I did understand but unlike the files in your downloads folder that work, you are trying to open a document while still in the Dolphin app which may not have the necessary permissions

Boothy99

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
B. Diddy ... the problem is on my Galaxy Tab S4. (Android 9). My HTC 10 has no problems opening any time type when I click on the Dolphin (bottom of page) / Downloads / ...click on file.

Galactic Zoo .....thanks for your reply (no insult intended from me, earlier). Is there any way I can give permissions, to allow the files to be opened from the method I just mentioned to B. Diddy, as it works fine on my phone. It's just frustrating to have to go into a file browser every time on my tablet. I can't find anything in Dolphin's settings.
Cheers.

Boothy99

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Just tried to look for it from your link, B. Diddy, & directly in Google Play, but item not found for both instances :'(
Thanks for trying though. Can you see the Online viewer from that link?

It's an issue for any file type that I download on my tablet, via dolphin. I looked in "android permissions" for dolphin, and it appears to have appropriate access rights to drives. Files are saved internally where dolphin has access to.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry, you're right. That help page must be out of date -- I'm not sure if that add-on was removed by Google from the Play Store from some reason, or if Dolphin deprecated it for some reason. I don't see any other option as an add-on in the Play Store.

Have you already tried emailing Dolphin support? Support@Dolphin.com

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure what else to suggest. When I search for this issue, every relevant result is from around 2012-2013. Can you use a different browser?

Boothy99

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeh .. I tried Chrome .... works fine and even asks what I'd like to use to open any file. I just tend to use Dolphin all the time :-\
Can't understand it, but I'll either live with having to open an Explorer on every download or re-install Dolphin ...again.
Thanks for putting some time and effort in this, B. Diddy :) Much appreciated.

Boothy99

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Ahh well .... that was a shame ..... just uninstalled & reinstalled Dolphin .... exactly the same problem :'(
So it wasn't a duff install :-\
Must be android 9 & Dolphin not playing together well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd keep bugging the Dolphin devs about this. Maybe if you email them enough times or give them enough feedback through the Dolphin settings menu, they'll pay attention to you!

Boothy99

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Cheers .... I'd emailed them .... but the mail got bounced back !!! .... their "email in-box is full".

I've even given a full description on Facebook Messenger to them with request for help (on Friday) but its still not been looked at. Hopefully someone will bother and take at least a read of it after the weekend. :-\

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I wonder what's going on with them? I went to their support page (https://dolphin.com/support/) and typed in various easy search terms, and each time I just get a "Sorry, we couldn't find that page" error from Salesforce Desk.com.:-\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia