[VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
still aint working for me, just getting the unregistered device. if it is the volume of people, i was thinking by now, a few days later, id be able to update with no problem, but nope! guess ill just keep trying.

suniljdsouza

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I downloaded Froyo on Friday and I had it through the weekend.

What I like:

1) The Wi-Fi calling feature is great! Unlike UMA on other phones I had with T-Mobile, I can use this with Bluetooth and I had no problems with it.

2) I noticed it ready my SD Card much faster than before.

What I didn't like:

1) The phone is slower and less responsive. This is very noticeable. It's pretty frustrating!

2)The phone has also completely stalled on my twice and I had to reboot.

red2erni

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Im bricked after Kies mini 2.2 update. I spent several hours last night re-downloading the latest Kies mini and figuring out the puzzel of getting it to recognize my TMo Vibrant. Wow I thought it found the 2.2 upgrade. It finally went into dark screen and lit white buttons on the bottom and vibrating every so often. All the directions said wait so I went to bed. This morning I'm soft bricked. Three buttons gives me recovery but all the choices just give me the same end result. I found a method the get back to recovery by plugging into USB and it does get back to recovery but now it looks like I will shake hands with Odin. ANy other ideas are surely accepted. I may just give up and go down to the friendly TMo store today. Was any product ever supported worse? Its enough to drive me into the arms of Steve Jobs.
red2erni

jdwigg

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Bad Battery Life After Update

I have noticed a considerable drop in battery life since my update on Friday night. I was at about 60% percent at mid-day before. Now at 10am I am at 43% with no more use than normal. This is the same battery life I was getting with my Nexus One. :':)':)':)':)'(

Update: After doing a hard reset of the device we are much better today. At 3:17pm I am at 65% after being off the charger for almost 9 hours. Not to bad.

Last edited:

blahblahslawblog

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
force close

nycraze, what did you do to stop kies from force closing on you? I saw your post where you said this was happening and that later you were able to install it.

Right now, as soon as I launch kies I get a force close also.

rushlmp

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Still the same issue after talking with Samsung level 3 support twice. They keep saying it is the volume of people trying to download it. I've been trying on and off since Friday with the same error everytime. I saw some others have the same issue in the T-Mo forums but I have not seen a solution yet and I am using the stock cable that came with the phone, tried USB debugging on and off, uninstalled Kies and re-installed blah blah blah....For whatever reason I cannot get it to work.

I did notice once it is done decrypting Windows says I have "USB device not recognized" error and that seems to be when it freezes up (32 bit XP)

I tried it at a friends house still using the Behold cable. Still no luck. Their computer said the same thing after decrypting, however, my laptop which I originally tried the upgrade didn't give me any message. If I can't get it to upgrade without all this frustration, I may just suck it up and get the Vibrant 4G when it gets released. Since trying to upgrade to FROYO with no success it seems my phones' screen randomly turns on. Are you having this problem as well after the failed upgrade?

robertneusch

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I recently updated my vibrant but lost the root when i did it. I thought i had backed it up with titanium backup. Everything else was backed up. I tried rooting again with the same zip file about 6 times and it still wouldn't take. I dont know if i made a.mistake and deleted the fixed.prmissions file also. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

MileHiLivin

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I finally got it to work running the update on a laptop with Windows 7 using Mini Kies and the stock cable. I will admit that I have an old desktop system that I have upgraded everything on except the USB ports which may have been my problem. IDK for sure but the update ran fine on the laptop and I now have Froyo and am enjoying it.

Until the update I was not experiencing any issues with the screen randomly turning on or turning off. I did not notice any changes after the multiple failed attempts. I did not have to use the emergency recovery mine rebooted after pulling the battery everytime after the update failed.

mclot01s

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried it at a friends house still using the Behold cable. Still no luck. Their computer said the same thing after decrypting, however, my laptop which I originally tried the upgrade didn't give me any message. If I can't get it to upgrade without all this frustration, I may just suck it up and get the Vibrant 4G when it gets released. Since trying to upgrade to FROYO with no success it seems my phones' screen randomly turns on. Are you having this problem as well after the failed upgrade?

Why would you buy ANYTHING from a company that went back on their promise for REAL support... made it as hard as possible to upgrade a fairly new phone... AND avoided coming out with the upgrade until a lawsuit came out against them the WEEK BEFORE they RELUCTANTLY came out with it (Lawsuit: Samsung, T-Mobile delay Android updates on purpose | Electronista)

I'm NEVER buying ANYTHING from Samsung... Until they get bought by some other company.

Reactions: beandon

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Why would you buy ANYTHING from a company that went back on their promise for REAL support... made it as hard as possible to upgrade a fairly new phone... AND avoided coming out with the upgrade until a lawsuit came out against them the WEEK BEFORE they RELUCTANTLY came out with it (Lawsuit: Samsung, T-Mobile delay Android updates on purpose | Electronista)

I'm NEVER buying ANYTHING from Samsung... Until they get bought by some other company.

Just a little FYI, that "myth" about them intentionally withholding the update has been debunked tenfold. That lawsuit is going to get laughed out of court so fast we won't even know it happened. ;)

njtony0831

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
just got off the phone with Samsung level 3 tech support and found out anyone having issues with connecting to mini kies are most likely using "launcher pro" switch back to tw launcher or uninstall the launcher pro app and soft reset your phone and it should connect without a prob......just a heads up to anyone having issues

mclot01s

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
just got off the phone with Samsung level 3 tech support and found out anyone having issues with connecting to mini kies are most likely using "launcher pro" switch back to tw launcher or uninstall the launcher pro app and soft reset your phone and it should connect without a prob......just a heads up to anyone having issues

Not me...

I'm STOCK; all the way :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d