[VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread

rushlmp

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Why would you buy ANYTHING from a company that went back on their promise for REAL support... made it as hard as possible to upgrade a fairly new phone... AND avoided coming out with the upgrade until a lawsuit came out against them the WEEK BEFORE they RELUCTANTLY came out with it (Lawsuit: Samsung, T-Mobile delay Android updates on purpose | Electronista)

I'm NEVER buying ANYTHING from Samsung... Until they get bought by some other company.

I love Samsung phones. I have yet to find another brand that I like as much. They may have their issues, but I've tried so many, and I just find them disappointing compared to the Vibrant. After reading that the Vibrant 4G is still lacking a flash for the camera, I will not be buying it. Unfortunately it doesn't offer enough for me to spend money on it when I already have a Vibrant. I will try to hold off on buying another phone until Samsung releases something better, but if they take too long to release something awesome, I may be forced to buy a different brand. True, their Customer Service is terrible, but their products are amazing.

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to agree, i've had a lot of different branded handsets and I dont think ive ever been as satisfied with a device than I have been with mine.
CS=Crap but ill deal with it for the time being, until some awesome new model or manufacturer comes out.

Phurius

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
For those who miss the swiping of the notification bar to increase/decrease the brightness...its still there you just have to hold your finger on the bar for a little bit before you can move it

Also I noticed my battery life took a dip after the update, maybe because the phone never dips under 3g anymore, even in rough parts (it is set on auto mode too)

mclot01s

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Virtual Environment for clean-slate installation

For those having issues with getting Kies Mini to properly acknowledge and/or connect to your device... Here was my solution:

I had driver-related issues from tethering-software I had installed 6 months earlier.

SOLUTION
Rather than try to "undo" some of those issues on my laptop (the only "PC" I own), I simply used a virtual environment---in this case "VMWare-player"---to provide me a clean slate on which to install Kies Mini.
(Make sure the virtual-environment allows direct access to USB devices. VMWare DOES allow such access..... I THINK "Virtual PC", by Microsoft, does NOT)

It worked GREAT. (Textbook installation)

Also... be careful of loose cables. I had to "shape" the ends of mine to tighten up the connection.
A cable with a bad connection is hard to detect sometimes, but it will cause your phone to get "bricked."
(As many people know, a bricked Samsung Vibrant is not permanent... just annoying)

Last edited:

izzyfureal

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
well i live in miami, and yes you hafta have samsung mini kies loaded on your computer, the regular kies didnt work for me, phone attached to my computer, it was a breeze for this novice, 5 minutes and i was up and running froyo 2.2, now 8 hours later and i am loving it, so far no problems! my vibrant is now awesome! oh, btw, tmobile has found a way to deduct the time spent using wifi for phone calls from your monthly allowance! didnt matter to me, but i think thats pretty cheap of them to "charge" you for time not spent on their service, but its great that they finally allowed this update, kind of a hassle, but worth it! didnt lose any functions, programs or data that i can see, wooohooo!

Gamb8ace

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I got ota today

I got the ota update. Now my phone wont sleep. The screen stays on regardless of what settings I change. Whats the deal?

blooper

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I got the ota update. Now my phone wont sleep. The screen stays on regardless of what settings I change. Whats the deal?

i havent seen anything about froyo being OTA... so...
i doubt this is about froyo... but what exactly did you do?

can you go into your settings and tell us what your firmware/build numbers are?

do you have a usb plugged in at all?

EDIT:
also...
it could be similar to this issue

Last edited:

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Kies Mini up and running. update attempt take 2.

do you really have to have your battery 100% before it will allow you to do the update?

edit: doesnt seem so. got the droid digging yellow caution sign up. "do not turn off target"

Last edited:

drekosh

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Another tip for people having problems with Kies not working. If Kies freezes and shuts down when your phone connects, the problem could be IE9. I just got off the phone with Samsung lvl 3 tech support. They suggested rolling back to IE8 and it worked for me. I still couldn't get the update to go but I at least got Kies to recognize my phone and tell me that there was an update available.

bouquetofseaweed

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Froyo for Vibrant works

I have a Vibrant and I downloaded Kies Mini. After installation I restarted my computer and the thing you gotta do is: Settings-Applications-USB Settings- now select "ask on connection". THEN connect USB to computer and on the phone's screen touch "Kies". THEN open Kies Mini on the computer and wait. Kies mini ONLY updates the OS and serves no other purpose. The full version of Kies is not available in the U.S. and will not update an American phone even if you somehow are able to download it. I found it in a torrent a few months ago and was disappointed. But now I've got Froyo and it rocks! Its really a huge difference as far as web browsing for which I use Skyfire. Good luck, I don't know why this update has been so elusive but thanks to T-Mobile for throwing us a bone.

boardbunny_79

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have tried every trick that you all have posted in this thread to get my pc to acknowledge my phone is plugged in. I've installed and uninstalled Kies mini and drivers sooo many times today. When i first plug it in, it says USB connected, when i select mount it says turn off mass storage. so i turn off mass storage and it says usb connected but the computer doesn't see it. Also when i open kies and try to connect the phone it doesn't see the phone either. It just says please connect phone. I just want to use kies mini to update to 2.2. someone please help!!

blooper

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have tried every trick that you all have posted in this thread to get my pc to acknowledge my phone is plugged in. I've installed and uninstalled Kies mini and drivers sooo many times today. When i first plug it in, it says USB connected, when i select mount it says turn off mass storage. so i turn off mass storage and it says usb connected but the computer doesn't see it. Also when i open kies and try to connect the phone it doesn't see the phone either. It just says please connect phone. I just want to use kies mini to update to 2.2. someone please help!!

do you have it set to debug mode?

boardbunny_79

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually got a warranty exchange phone from tmobile and now it connects to the computer with no problems. Now kies doesn't acknowledge that my phone is plugged in to get the update. I keep installing and uninstalling kies... any other suggestions? I have dld it using firefox and IE. no luck

blooper

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
funny thing happened the other day. my phone started to lag a bit while i was browsing and i swiped the screen a few times and heard a camera shutter sound. turns out i took a screen capture and it was saved under a screen save directory in my phone.

does anyone know how to recreate this? curious is the update had an unofficial screen save function that no one knows about. im running stock (t mobile stock) touchwiz, not rooted.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Guys, can it be confirmed that it is a Froyo feature that Silent and Vibrate modes no longer both appear, but have to instead be activated independently and separately of each other in Sound Settings?

blooper

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Guys, can it be confirmed that it is a Froyo feature that Silent and Vibrate modes no longer both appear, but have to instead be activated independently and separately of each other in Sound Settings?

yea, vibrate is a separate function now. the volume up and down buttons only control volume. you can activate vibrate from the dialer screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow