[VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread

orgwizard

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So far

so good...
can't say is lag free...though I've loaded up all my apps again...
but is doing ok so far...
really wanting to try the wifi calling asap to see how it works...
and more importantly..no one mentiond...voice dialing via bluetooth works..yeah!!

can't wait for someone to start reporting info on when we might see 2.2.1...given all the cheers about the performance increase it brought to those in europe that got it.
beyond the wifi calling and voice dialing...haven't seen anything all that great...though the update is appreciated!!

have to do our other vibrant still...anyone out there have a fix, besides a full reset of the phone to get the avatar working???

and not sure why the android keyboard is missing..but can say I reloaded the gingerbread keyboard that's been floating around for a while now...and it works like a champ..voice commands work on it now, and still nicer overall than even the sammy keyboard that came with 2.2.

bgwavrder

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Issue with Bluetooth

While using in the car I'm getting audible notifications. When this happens the phone is randomly going back and forth to the handset. The message on the display in the car reads "no active phone". I've never had an issue with hands-free before. Anyone else having problems with hands free calling after the update.

I tried re-booting and still having issues.

bdroc

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
one of the best new features is that little blue circle with the tip on it in which to select text with accuracy...before i spent too much time trying to get between the correct letters

mclot01s

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Ruth'

Ruth: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I'm trying to update my Vibrant to Froyo

Visitor: the app, Kies Mini, keeps crashing

Visitor: Are you still there?

Ruth: I understand that you are unable to update your Vibrant phone and the mini Kies software is not working. Am I correct?

Visitor: LOL

Visitor: Yes...

Ruth: I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Ruth: Did you receive any error messages when updating the device using mini Kies?

Visitor: It never got that far

Visitor: as soon as I plug my phone in, the app crashes

Ruth: I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Ruth: Let us troubleshoot the issue.

Ruth: Could you let me know the Operating System you are using? (Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7)?

Visitor: 7

Ruth: Is the Windows 7 is a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system?

Visitor: 64

Visitor: i3 Pentium (quad core)

Visitor: Toshiba

Ruth: Thank you.

Visitor: np

Ruth: As the mini Kies software is not working on the computer seems that the issue might be with the compatibility of the software on Windows 64 operating system computer.

Visitor: Are you guessing?

Visitor: I predict a plummeting stock, with Samsung

Visitor: in the immediate future

Ruth: As we have received few issues when connecting the device to the computer using mini Kies software on Windows 7 64 bit computer. we guess that the issue might be with the compatibility of the software with 64 bit operating system.

Visitor: Wow

Visitor: They REALLY should have tested it on a 64 bit operating system

Visitor: They need to fire some of their developers, in order to save their company some "face"

Visitor: (I'm a software developer)

Ruth: I understand your concern.

Ruth: However, let us troubleshoot the issue and then try to connect the device using mini Kies software.

Ruth: Just to confirm, did you download and install the latest version of mini Kies software on your computer?

Visitor: yes

Visitor: this morning

Visitor: from www.tinyurl.com/kiesmini

Ruth: Let us check the version of the software.

Ruth: Tap on Menu >> About.

Visitor: v1.0.0.110011_4

Ruth: This confirms that the mini Kies is a latest version.

Ruth: Now let us check the phone version.

Ruth: Tap on Home key >> Menu >> Settings >> About phone.

Visitor: got it

Ruth: Please let me know the Baseband version.

Visitor: T959UVJI6

Ruth: As the Baseband version displaying T959UVJI6 confirms phone is up to date.

Ruth: Now let us check whether the USB debugging mode is checked or unchecked.

Visitor: could my drivers need updating?

Visitor: USB degugging is UNCHECKED

Ruth: Okay, the USB debugging mode should be unchecked.

Visitor: when I connect my phone, I am ASKED what mode I would the phone to be in

Ruth: If you have already installed the USB driver software, you do not need to update the drivers.

Visitor: okay

Ruth: We need select the option 'Ask on connection' under USB settings on the phone.

Visitor: that IS already checked, and working

Ruth: When we connect the phone to the computer, we need to select the option Kies on the device.

Visitor: I do

Visitor: and, I select that option

Visitor: :)

Ruth: I appreciate your efforts.

Ruth: Did you connect the phone to the computer?

Visitor: absolutely

Visitor: and immediately upon the phone being detected... the app crashes

Ruth: I am sorry to know that.

Visitor: That's why I'm thinking the driver might be bad

Ruth: I am sorry to inform you that we do not have USB drivers software for the device on Windows 7 computer.

Visitor: LOL

Visitor: WOW

Visitor: Samsung has NO official drivers for Windows 7?

Ruth: Please remove and reconnect the phone to the different USB port on the computer.

Visitor: Hold on

Ruth: Sure, I will standby.

Visitor: If Samsung does NOT have drivers for its own products, for Windows 7 (a popular operating system)

Visitor: ...

Visitor: Then where did I get mine?

Ruth: In this situation, I recommend you contact our level 3 voice support team once.

Ruth: Once you contact our voice support team, they will troubleshoot the issue and assist you further.

Visitor: Okay...

Visitor: Can you give me the number?

Ruth: You can contact our dedicated Galaxy S devices voice support team at 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252).

Visitor: Alright... Thank you.

Visitor: (I'll be posting the results of this conversation on an Android forum, when we're done)

LOL... Wow

rushlmp

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Exact same thing has been happening to me for two days now. Did you get a solution?

Nope, just tried it again after deleting Handcent, thinking maybe that was the problem. Now I am thinking it may be because I am not using the original cable. I bought this Vibrant off a friend and since my Behold 2 cable fit I told her to keep the Vibrant usb cable. Trying to get her to bring it to work tomorrow so I can try that and see if that solves the prob. Are you using the original cable?

Thanks for responding. Atleast I'm not alone. :)

tokplas

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the same response when I hooked up my Vibrant (unregistered device). However when I hooked it up the other day it went right into download mode. I went to watch TV for awhile and when I came back I couldn't believe it but the upgrade was complete. I hope everyone has the same luck. My grandson also had the same good result

MileHiLivin

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Nope, just tried it again after deleting Handcent, thinking maybe that was the problem. Now I am thinking it may be because I am not using the original cable. I bought this Vibrant off a friend and since my Behold 2 cable fit I told her to keep the Vibrant usb cable. Trying to get her to bring it to work tomorrow so I can try that and see if that solves the prob. Are you using the original cable?

Thanks for responding. Atleast I'm not alone. :)
Still the same issue after talking with Samsung level 3 support twice. They keep saying it is the volume of people trying to download it. I've been trying on and off since Friday with the same error everytime. I saw some others have the same issue in the T-Mo forums but I have not seen a solution yet and I am using the stock cable that came with the phone, tried USB debugging on and off, uninstalled Kies and re-installed blah blah blah....For whatever reason I cannot get it to work.

I did notice once it is done decrypting Windows says I have "USB device not recognized" error and that seems to be when it freezes up (32 bit XP)

Daedalus

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok I have used Mini kies on Winblows7 64bit with no issues. You could try it running kies with a xp compatibility mode on or if you have it the XP virtual Terminal.

belo4000

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
just completed update, trick is to locate your old 2 gig micro sd with the Avitar movie on it. one installed, the software (Samsung Kies) did it's magic