[Video Tutorial] How To Properly Root Your Inspire 4G

jayboy005

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am also waiting for a good one click root option. I have tried two different methods multiple times and have made like 7 gold cards with no success. I am stumped. Now I am just daily checking for an update. I noticed the source code for the inspire got released not too long ago so someone should be developing something im sure. i hope anyways...

oldmike#AC

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Text of the Video?

Watched the video, and cannot catch the file names or the URL where they are available, and the video is too low a rez to read it. Would appreciate a post of the file names and URL.

Mike

SPRHR0

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
hey i did the oneclick but its really not one click but a simplified step by step babywalk that is semi automated.. bubby's did work but you have to make sure you have everything inplace before hand

SPRHR0

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
this is the easy way to root inspire

[DEV][GUI][RC1][GPL][3-03-2011] HTC Inspire 4G Simple Root and S-OFF - xda-developers .. ok im not a super computer nerd just a nerd.. jack of all trades master of none.. anyhow used this kids root method.. This is as close to automated as it gets so far.. you make a goldcard.. after you make gold card place zip files on the card it the root directory.. follow the steps and it will work it may take a couple of tries.. make sure you use your phone as the mounting device for the sdcard when making the goldcard.. im now running gingerbread.. seems to me that battery life has taken a huge hit but its basically treating the phone as the desire.. that link will let you root your phone

mduhon2

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
this is the latest: a few helpful programs you might want to know about--download in marketplace(store on your android) the program called "GoldCard helper" then create gold card for your phone by that program or these directions:
Hacking the HTC Inspire on WINDOWS: The Total Package

This Guide is based on:

Creating a GoldCard (Paul O'Brien) ,
"How to downgrade 1.72/1.75 to 1.32" (jkoljo) ,
"Subsidy Unlock, SuperCID, and Radio S-OFF" (fattire)
"Rooting the G2" - XDA wiki

Everything needed to Obtain permanent root and radio S-OFF for HTC ACE (Inspire/Desire HD) is contained in this package.

Note: This procedure will leave you with a ROM that has no sound.
Fear not, I have a custom rom for the Inspire that is fully functional.
See my blog for links @ Android Notes

Abstract:

The HTC Inspire (ATT) is basically the same as the HTC Desire HD released in Europe in later 2010 with a couple variations.

1. The DHD had a radio exploit ready to take advantage of; the Inspire does not.
2. The inspire has different audio amp firmware. This requires a modification in the kernel.
3. Obvoiously, the Inspire supports different HSPA radio frequencies than the EU DHD. (NAM/EU)

In order to gain the ability to write to nand to flash custom recovery and ROMS, we need to be able to expose the radio exploit that used to be present.
To do that, we need to downgrade the ROM with a signed rom from an earlier RUU. To do that, we need:
a) a goldcard
b) temproot
c) to downgrade the mainver on the device
d) a htc signed rom from a suitable RUU.

Once this is done, we can use existing methods to gain perm root and install Clockworkmod Recovery.

If the this package is unaltered, scripts can be run as-is, and everything needed is self-contained.

Steps:

1 Set up:

MAKE A GOLDCARD
• Format the microSD card to FAT32 format.
• Put the microSD card in your device and boot it.
• Ensure you have unzipped the SDK, then open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory.
• Enter
o tools/win/adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid
• You should get a very long number, cut and paste it into this page, to reverse it.
• Then visit this page, enter your reversed number and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you.
• Open the HxD hex editor in tools/win/HxD . If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run the application as administrator.
• Go to the 'Extra' menu and select 'Open Disk'. Under physical disk, select Removable Disk (your microSD card), uncheck 'Open as Readonly' and click OK. Note that you should select physical disk NOT the logical disk. This is important!
• Go to the 'Extra' menu again and select 'Open Disk Image'. Open the goldcard image that you received by email.
• You should now have two tabs - one is your removable disk, the other is your goldcard image. Press OK when prompted for 'Sector Size' (selecting 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)) and click OK.
• Click on the goldcard image tab. Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All' then select the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.
• Click on the 'Removable Disk' tab. Highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), then click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'.
• Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Save', accepting the warning.
You now have a goldcard!
2. DOWNGRADE the ROM:

Windows:
• Make sure the phone is running and adb debugging is enabled and in charge-only mode (USB not mounted on the PC)
• Open a command prompt as administrator and navigate to the location of this package
• hackerize-ace setup-downgrade
• At this point you should have verified temp root. If everything looks okay, proceed.
• hackerize-ace install-downgrade
• Once the FASTBOOT comes up, press power once to start HBOOT
• Follow the prompts on the phone to downgrade.
• Once the upgrade is complete:
• Start the phone again and check that adb debugging is enabled.
• run the following:
o hackerize-ace clean
• Do not close the terminal window – you will need it later.
3. TEMPROOT, RADIO S-OFF, PERMROOT
• Once the phone has been successfully downgraded, proceed.
• hackerize-ace rage
• Once this completes, Open terminal ON THE PHONE.
• In phone terminal, type:
o /data/local/tmp/rage
• Wait for the message: "Forked #### childs."
• Menu > Reset Term - Terminal Emulator will exit.
• Launch Terminal Emulator again in the phone, it Force Closes. Launch a another time, and you'll have a temp root shell.
• Again in the phone term emulator:
o cd /data/local
o ./gfree -f
o sync
o /data/local/tmp/root
o sync
Congratulations! You now have radio S-OFF, you are rooted, and your phone is carrier-unlocked (sim-free)
4. INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY
• Install ROM Manager from MARKET
• Install Clockworkmod Recovery with ROM Manager
55. RESTORE THE SHIPPING RADIO FIRMWARE
(Radio_12.39.60.19_26.06.04.06_M-ace-att.zip)
• Make sure USB debuggery is on
• hackerize-ace.sh setup-radio
• hackerize-ace flash-radio
• This will restart the phone is fastboot mode. Push power to start the flash process.
• Reboot
• hackerize-ace clean

Last edited:

jeffdroid

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The HTC Inspire 4G is the first Android phone I've ever owned, and this is my first phone I've ever rooted and have installed a custom ROM on it.

I followed this video: YouTube - Unleashing the HTC Inspire 4G [Root, Unlock, S-OFF] to root my phone with absolutely no problem.

When rooting, make sure you type MMC0 when using the adb shell /sys/.... command on the CMD window! Don't do the same mistake I did by using MMC2!

You can also follow this video: YouTube - Unleashing the Inspire 4G Part 2 [Sound Fix, DesireHD ROMs] to install a custom ROM on your phone!

Happy Rooting!

PS - I would also like to add that after rooting and installing a custom ROM, I'm getting the follow upload and download speeds:
33878328.png
Can you tell me where I can download the 2 files that are used early in the video. I tried to make them out but they were just too blurry on my screen. I currently have a Captivate that I have had many different ROMs on but rooting the Inspire is going to be a new adventure.

jluke86

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Are there any easier methods in the works? I tried following the video and written instructions but I ran into a lot of pitfalls and decided to wait. I'm hoping with the Thunderbolt being similar to the Inspire and so much rooting work going on in that camp that it might help bring a one-click type of solution to the Inspire. Any thoughts?

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
There is a one click method so to speak for the Inspire already. Like I've said before, getting a good gold card is the hardest part. Check out the thread over on xda for that method and read up about it.

SPRHR0

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
gold card was the easy part for me.. just making sure I had all of the image files already on the card before starting the process.. I am now running CoreDroid gingerbread V4.5

dgrice89

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
so i rooted mine today it all worked good them i went to the rom manager and downloaded a custom rom from the rom maniger "coredroid desire HD v4.9" it lets you wifi hot spot for free but it does not let you run rom manager or facebook :( any help?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000