What phone did you previously have, and why are you switching to the Evo 4G?

jfelectron

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Palm Pre since launch day. Love WebOS multitasking, don't love dearth of useful apps, overall ****ty hardware and no word from HP/Palm as to when we might see a device that would put the platform on par with its competition. Ultimately, these smartphones depend on a rich developer community and WebOS is lacking the support of some major developers (DataViz anyone anyone...), which leaves it withering while its competitors grow exponentially.

Android has come a long way since Pre launch day and I'm gladding to be joining the party with the Evo's saucy hardware in tow.

justin_aga

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the blackberry tour. I am switching because RIM doesnt update enough. I need something new. I was gonna try out the bold , but its basically a tour with wifi and a trackpad. I have the simply everything plan so I doubt I will use the wifi, and my trackball has never given me problems. i figure why waste my upgrade on a phone thats basically the same

baggyp

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Palm pre. I want a massive screen and something that is FAST out of the box. I'm a gadget whore and need new stuff every few months. I just got an iPad. That should tide me over until I'm upgrade eligible in a couple of months.

Thats my main reason!!!! Coming from a BlackBerry Tour.

bronconia

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Had the Hero, was in love for about a month, then the lag absoultely killed me. I went through all of the work-ups to fix the sms problems, voicemail problems, etc, but the dialer was the final straw. I literally couldn't get to phone calls in time, and trying to punch numbers in to make a call was maddening.

I woke up one day and it had fallen into a glass of water next to my bed...blessing in disguise. I learned about that loophole for no early termination fee, and took full advantage.

Since then, I've been using an LG on straighttalk wireless, and have been pleasantly suprised. 45 bucks a month gets me unlimited EVERYTHING, and it's on Big Red's network. Phone isn't amazing though, and I miss the android network, sense, web browsing, etc etc.

So, I'm stoked to be coming back

vWvSTATICvWv

May 19, 2010
Visit site
iPhone3G. I'm not positive if i'm making the switch yet though. This will be my first Android phone and i'm sure i'll enjoy it...what worries me is Sprint's service. My main focus of the 30days will be testing out my signal in different areas mostly. I'll still have my jb iPhone and will continue to have it til my contract is up in early August regardless of the 30day outcome.
The reason i'm trying this phone besides the fact that it's awesome, is because i'm honestly sick of the iPhone. It's just an iPod with phone capabilities and i know the "iPhone HD" won't be any different. Jailbreaking is cool and all, but after 2yrs, it's all the same. I want something completely different.

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
.02c

iPhone 3Gs

I am switching because I'm tired of a phone that doesn't let me do anything that they don't think works perfectly. Also, I am tired of not being able to view sites that have a ton of flash. It has consistently screwed me over when I am out and about.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd been a Moto Razor user for a few years and was waiting for a decent smart phone. The first gen iPhone came out but I was in the middle of my two year contract so I waited until the next iPhone (3G in 2008) to get my first smart phone. I've enjoyed the iPhone and might have stayed with them if they offered a version with a larger display. But, since Apple knows best and the 3.6 inch display is perfect as it is I guess I'll be switching to HTC for the Evo.

Shame on me for actually wanting something Apple believes I shouldn't.

Brian

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am switching from the palm pre. The phone is slower and multi-tasks worse than it did on 6-5-09. Webpages reload now when I go back to them, ruining the multitasking, that is my biggest reason, webpages reloading when I go back to them while multitasking.

Other than that I love gadgets, have not had android yet and I have owned a phone using every other major mobile OS.

I like trying new stuff, I will probably be upgrading to some windows 7 phone next summer to experience that OS.

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Can we finally put the word laggy to rest. That is the worst sounding cliche I have ever heard. You all should say it to yourself 5 times then decide if you can't find a better word to describe slow software/response.

To answer the question though, I am coming from an N1 and Pre, which I've been using simultaneously, both good phones. However, I will admit the N1 has been my favorite phone so far.

Malacoda

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am giving the Android and the EVO a try, coming from an iPhone 3GS.

The reason for my switch is to try something new. I am a gadget nerd, and want to try out something new on a fast machine. I love my iPhone quite a bit, it is eminently usable and snappy to boot, but I am getting a bit bored with it.

Plus, to be honest, I can't help but think that the platform is starting to stagnate a bit. From what I have seen of both the new hardware, and the new software, I just can't get excited about the next step for the iPhone. Massive resolution on the same-sized screen does not excite me, for example; I am really looking forward to the 4.3" screen of the EVO. Plus, I am in a 4G market, so I can take advantage of that on occasion (though apparently not too often, from what I hear about battery life).

So, I will take advantage of the 30-day guarantee with Sprint and see how it goes. If I don't like it, I will stick with AT&T and buy the new iPhone.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Im coming from an HTC HD2 unlocked on ATT network. And the coverage as been nothing but a joke. I understand I am getting Edge on ATT but I still shouldnt be receiving text messages and missed phone calls 3 hours later. T-mobile is actually even worse in my area.

I thought I would give the Sprint network a run. Besides the os and a few other things the HD2 and Evo are the same so I will be somewhat familiar. Im more concerned about the network more than anything.

2JZfan

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Treo 800W on Sprint... the phone is a joke... but after a long line of other crap phones (Treo 700p, preceded by a bunch of lackluster non-smartphones) I've just never had very high expectations. If I can make a call and google something I consider that good. I'm hoping all that changes with the EVO... this will be my first time ever getting a "hot" phone, so hopefully it isn't a let-down.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am old. I have been using smartphones since they were PDA's with phones built in. PocketPC's, etc. I currently have a Touch Pro 2 running WinMo 6.5. The phone is GREAT for business use. Not so good on he toy side. I made powerpoints with it, Excel, and many more work related items. Then work decided that a bunch of people who could hardly speak English on the other side of the planet making $3 an hour could do a better job then my entire department could. So, to stay employeed, I took a paycut and a demotion. I no longer use it for business. I have no need. There are some good games and other "Apps" for it, just not many. And since the phone was never meant for music and games, the battery life drains real quick when I run video's or play games. I missed the old days when PDA's game with 4"-7" screens. I saw the Evo and said, Humm, maybe I will go to Android which is setup to be a Toy. Then I saw it did not have a physical keyboard then backed off. Then I saw reviews of the onscreen one, and they were great. I got my hands on one, then I was hooked. First appointment at Best Buy on Friday to get it. Free BlueTooth headset too.

bronconia

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Can we finally put the word laggy to rest. That is the worst sounding cliche I have ever heard. You all should say it to yourself 5 times then decide if you can't find a better word to describe slow software/response.

To answer the question though, I am coming from an N1 and Pre, which I've been using simultaneously, both good phones. However, I will admit the N1 has been my favorite phone so far.

It's a perfect adjective IMO. Lag - to move slowly, sluggish, weak, feeble...all valid descriptions of what I experienced with my hero in regards to it's performance. I'm always open to suggestions, but the word Lag sums things up in a nice concise manner. And it's been used in the technology world for years

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I am giving the Android and the EVO a try, coming from an iPhone 3GS.

The reason for my switch is to try something new. I am a gadget nerd, and want to try out something new on a fast machine. I love my iPhone quite a bit, it is eminently usable and snappy to boot, but I am getting a bit bored with it.

Plus, to be honest, I can't help but think that the platform is starting to stagnate a bit. From what I have seen of both the new hardware, and the new software, I just can't get excited about the next step for the iPhone. Massive resolution on the same-sized screen does not excite me, for example; I am really looking forward to the 4.3" screen of the EVO. Plus, I am in a 4G market, so I can take advantage of that on occasion (though apparently not too often, from what I hear about battery life).

So, I will take advantage of the 30-day guarantee with Sprint and see how it goes. If I don't like it, I will stick with AT&T and buy the new iPhone.

Would love to hear a repost from you within the 30 days. I am curious to hear what others think about Sprint and the EVO. I switch to Sprint from the money grabbers I mean Verizon. So I am always curious what others think when they switch to Sprint to. PS I am switching from the Pre because of the bugs and crappy hardware

itzhobbes

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Q which I snapped in half at a camping trip this past weekend. I suppose I should have kept it in 1 piece to backup my numbers. =(

Gcorvette987

May 18, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 3GS. I am tired of the dropped calls from ATT as well as the lack of customization and multitasking!! i know OS4 is coming out, but they're gonna add iAD or some crap?!! im ready for the EVO!!!!!

Carioca_FL

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree with the OP on the SDK/PDK front. Palm has been extremely supportive of the dev community, moreso than Google even (not even touching on Apple), but their problem is of a chicken-and-egg sort: not enough installed base, devs don't have incentive to develop for WebOS. Not enough apps, users don't have an incentive to buy into WebOS.

Remember that Apple released their SDK much later into the iPhone's lifecycle, they just did it in a bigger way and before the market really boomed.

I've also had a Pre since launch and the EVO will be my first Android phone. I expect to return to the Pre at the 30-day mark, unless the Android's UI and overall experience simply blows me away (which I doubt it, since I've played with it many many times).

I hope once the HP buyout of Palm is finalized, that they ramp up their R&D and release some kick-ass hardware. Actually, I expect Palm, HP or not, to announce a new WebOS device by the summer's end, to be ready for this holiday season.
And if Palm played their cards right (and foresaw some 12-18 months ago -usually how long new devices go through internal developing- how advanced phones are now), they'll launch a faster and bigger WebOS device.

Until then, the EVO will be quite comfortable at the top.

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
@Bronconia, most def its a good definition. People just sound like punks when they say it. IMO of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya