When do you think we will get ICS?

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
When do you all think we will get the ICS update for galaxy tab10.1? I am itching for it but I kind of fear we will be late getting behind the other tablets from Samsung and I almost fear they will sit on it until a little while after a galaxy tab 10.1 2 is launch just to screw us over some.

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this has been talked about, but...
Whats going to be the huge benefit of ICS to the 10.1? I was under the impression that the main point of ICS was just bringing the honeycomb feel to phones.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Everybody keeps saying the change to ICS will bring huge performance improvements.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
ICS is the next gen of Android designed to negate the need for phone & tab versions and will also bring performance enhancements.

As soon as there is a stable custom ROM I'll be flashing it to my Tab........ Samsung have yet to release 3.2 in Canada so I'm now on a custom 3.2 ROM that is a massive improvement over the Samsung one.

klyde87

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
ICS is the next gen of Android designed to negate the need for phone & tab versions and will also bring performance enhancements.

As soon as there is a stable custom ROM I'll be flashing it to my Tab........ Samsung have yet to release 3.2 in Canada so I'm now on a custom 3.2 ROM that is a massive improvement over the Samsung one.

I'm running into the same issue, any chance you could link me that rom?

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Everybody keeps saying the change to ICS will bring huge performance improvements.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I've been running a kanged version of CM9 ICS... and I gotta say it stopped me from selling my tab and buying a prime. My tab is very laggy right now on 3.2 but on 4.0 it's smooth as silk. Unfortunately CM isn't quite ready to be a daily driver as there are some video issues and things like netflix/youtube aren't working yet.

Seriously though.. flash the kang build over at XDA and see for yourself.. ICS makes a HUGE difference in smoothness and usability.

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Galaxy Task 10 ROM which is based on 3.2 and its completely lag free, but I will update to an ICS build once it's been sorted and fully released.

I've been running a kanged version of CM9 ICS... and I gotta say it stopped me from selling my tab and buying a prime. My tab is very laggy right now on 3.2 but on 4.0 it's smooth as silk. Unfortunately CM isn't quite ready to be a daily driver as there are some video issues and things like netflix/youtube aren't working yet.

Seriously though.. flash the kang build over at XDA and see for yourself.. ICS makes a HUGE difference in smoothness and usability.

Wachpy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

This has been my experience as well. I was running Task's ROM and flashed Kang just to try it out, and I was surprised at how dramatically faster ICS is. Even in such an early form I think it's already way better than Honeycomb, it has breathed new life into my Tab.

Reactions: willaise

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure this has been talked about, but...
Whats going to be the huge benefit of ICS to the 10.1? I was under the impression that the main point of ICS was just bringing the honeycomb feel to phones.

1. Hardware acceleration. Every review I've read of it running on Galaxy Tab 10.1 says it's noticeably much faster.

2. More apps (currently non-tablet apps don't do too well scaling for a tablet interface. With ICS, this is fixed)

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
2. More apps (currently non-tablet apps don't do too well scaling for a tablet interface. With ICS, this is fixed)

Wasn't that addressed in 3.2, with the [+] symbol on the bottom right when you run non-tablet apps? Or does 4.0 expand on that?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't that addressed in 3.2, with the [+] symbol on the bottom right when you run non-tablet apps? Or does 4.0 expand on that?

The 3.2 update allows you to load the phone apps but they still look like phone apps. Apps built specifically for ICS will scale really well to a tablet interface so they'll work better and look as though they were built for a tablet specifically (and on a phone will look like they were built for a phone).

Reactions: tdi1985