Who will get Gingerbread after the Nexus One?

What will be the second phone to get Gingerbread?

• Total voters

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Running cm7 nightly on my Evo and I can tell you it rocks. Battery life seems better also. I'd classify gingerbread as more of a "spit and polish" release to me. It's cleaned up nicely. I love it. Cleaner and looks nice. Looks more refined!

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand...I am a noob with Android...I thought when Google came out with a new O/S it could be used on all Android phones. Why can't the Moto phones have it now? The Bionic is coming out...why would it have 2.2 instead of 2.3? Thanks for the education.
Because, with exception to the Nexus phones, all the phone manufacturers add some of their own UI and/or "enhancements" on top of the Android OS. So when Google releases a new version of Android, the manufacturers have to update whatever changes they've made to the previous version to the new version, which takes time.

Carriers also tend to want certain things added or changed, so those things have to be updated, as well.

levo912

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus One is not gonna get Gingerbread, till they sell enough Nexus S, cuz they have to make their profit first, then I guess the Evo would get Gingerbread.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I just have a feeling that the EVO won't get it, and if it does it will be too late and most of us will be on to something with a dual core.

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I just have a feeling that the EVO won't get it, and if it does it will be too late and most of us will be on to something with a dual core.

Sprint took a hit in this Samsung thing because of the epic not having froyo. They will get it out soon to top everyone else. I bet it comes out sooner than we'd expect. Before summer.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Questions...does Gingerbread have qualifications? Meaning does a phone have to have a certain size processor? If/when it drops for every other phone but "American Galaxy S" phones, would devs. be able to create a ROM so I could put it on the Captvate?

thanks for any response.

people have gingerbread running on the original droid, and from what I hear, it runs very well.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my og droid rooted so I can get in on that action.

laserguided

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
people have gingerbread running on the original droid, and from what I hear, it runs very well.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my og droid rooted so I can get in on that action.

Man, I'd love to see you run Gingerbread on your OG Droid. Here is a link to rooting. How To: Root the Motorola Droid | TheUnlockr
I've seen a lot of people who have done so, and I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.

Also, Is anyone with the Nexus One actually getting OTA Gingerbread yet? I know Android Central reported on it yesterday. I'd like to know if that is actually happening.

I have a Droid 2 and have from a Verizon employee that we should expect Gingerbread on Droid 2 and Droid X in February.

laserguided

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Also, Is anyone with the Nexus One actually getting OTA Gingerbread yet? I know Android Central reported on it yesterday. I'd like to know if that is actually happening.

Nevermind this was just a Froyo update. The Nexus S is getting an update for their Gingerbread, bollocks. Maybe that update will indicated they've worked out all the bugs in Gingerbread and are ready to send it to the Nexus One.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind this was just a Froyo update. The Nexus S is getting an update for their Gingerbread, bollocks. Maybe that update will indicated they've worked out all the bugs in Gingerbread and are ready to send it to the Nexus One.

The Nexus 1 also got a froyo update. The common theory seems to be that both updates are to fix the SMS bug. Maybe the N1 will update to Gingerbread once they've tested that.

ssplumb

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I hope DX they were showing photos with it already on a x with the new moto blur.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The "performance" gain is simply because it's less garbage collection, so less jitteryness and lag.

however, the 2.1 to 2.2 had the JIT compiler so that had a huge performance gain, 2.2 to 2.3 isn't.

I have 2.3 running on a few devices, and while fast, it's not earth shattering and wont yield you any number increase.

To sum it up, 2.1 to 2.2 is like adding a turbo to your car. 2.2 to 2.3 is like changing your pulleys to lightweight pulleys, which gives you the appearance your cars faster, but all it does is get your RPM's up quicker.

leanaf82

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't it be sad for Epic owners if the Evo got gingerbread a few weeks after they got froyo.

My guess would be the G2 would be the next to get gingerbread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332