Question Why does "Music" require phone permission?

Yotopette

Feb 24, 2024
Visit site
The default music app has 2 possible permissions, storage and phone. Storage is normal, it needs to find the music files. But it also requires " Phone permission". What for?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Are you not able to decide what permission to allow it? I just looked at a couple of my music apps none have the phone
This made me look at Spotify permissions. Nope doesn't ask for phone permission.
be7280dff3e011e1e4a2e32b656b72d5.jpg

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's not supposed to! Phone is phone and music is music. Maybe it wants to stop the music while I talk on the phone but this should be my decision, not the app's decision!
Are you not able to decide what permission to allow it? I just looked at a couple of my music apps none have the phone
This made me look at Spotify permissions. Nope doesn't ask for phone permission.

Phone permission also not allowed in Musicolet. Screenshot_20240224_113153_Permission controller.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Detkowski

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It is called "Play", it's the default app. I tried others today, now none function... I posted a new question about that. I'm new to android. Thanks to all who answered.
What's the brand and model number of your phone? You can find it in Settings>About Phone.

You don't mean the app is called "Play Music", do you? Google Play Music was sunsetted several years ago in favor of YouTube Music. A screenshot would be helpful, as previously requested.