Why is my battery draining so quickly?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's easily possible to figure out what's using the battery on your phone. It's possible something may be wrong. Take screen shots, as many others have done, and post them here. But understand there are ALWAYS background tasks running in a multi-tasking OS. the OS itself has lots of tasks that are running. iOS, with it's much less conprehensive multi-tasking, doesn't do nearly as much background processing, I suspect.

I don't pretend to know everything that's going on behind the scenes in Android. And I don't really care. My first statement is true: The GS3 will never match the iPhone in battery life. The extra capabilities make it well worth it to me. On days when I'm on WiFi most of the day, I routinely get 14-15 hours and still have 30% or more battery left. And that's using the phone, not letting it sit idle all day. With background syncing of email and appointments.

When I look at my battery setting after my phone has been on standby for some time (6% down after 4 hours today), I don't see anything that I don't expect, Device Idle, Cell Standby, Android OS, Android System at about 88%, about 9% more for the screen (been deliberately using my phone as little as possible today for this, no calls, no texting, no surfing, just sitting there). So pretty much on standby, like I said, down 6% in 4 hours. Not gigantic or tragic, but an iPhone would be down about 2% after 4 hours on standby. By the way, BetterBattery Stats shows about 94% deep sleep.

Please remind me of all those extra features, other than the large screen and NFC (which I don't use *smile*)? I guess I also have a non-stock keyboard, that's a big battery eater *smile*. For myself, I'm using CleanROM 6 R2,(de-bloated stock, essentially) so I've rooted my phone and what not for fun. If anything, I'm using less battery than I was when I was using the stock "ROM". It was similar before I rooted the phone...

Again, this obviously isn't a big thing for me, I like the S3, not headed out to gazelle.com to sell my phone. But I have to wonder about this. And I do understand the dynamics of multitasking (and a lot more *smile*), I've spent 40 years as a software engineer, much of it in the OS business. I believe that the iPhone also has a mutlitasking OS *smile*.

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar problem. I've done all the suggestions, hardly use my phone and yet I drain 20% of my battery in like 2 hours. The only thing I have synced is mail. Battery setting tells me Android System is using 22%. Wake Lock says Google Maps is my highest usage. I haven't even used it. GPS is off, I tried adjusting the settings but it keeps coming back on. I have to charge my phone twice a day. What do I do? :(

EDIT/UPDATE: Nevermind! I think I found the culprit. Shazam, though I never used it yet, appears to be the one who was using up all the Google maps. I turned of location and my battery seems to be doing much better now.

Last edited:

anon(6060737)

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi my battery is being killed by its not the sync thats the the problem. Every few weeks an app pops up in my battery usage saying about 78% usage . I unistall the application but then it happens to another app. These apps usely require an internet connection but the internet is turned off. I have checked and they have not be collecting lots of data either. Also when I take my phone off charge it goes down to 92% in about 5 minutes. I have to charge my phone every day and it takes over 3 hours! HELP! ( Ihave an advanced task manager which says all apps are closed.)

Bandi Nirdesh

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
i purchased samsung galaxy a couple of weeks back ,the battery is discharging at a very fast rate, before going to bed it was 30% when i woke up it drooped to 30%, how can such a fast discharge yhappens without using the phone, is there any defect in battery???

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
i purchased samsung galaxy a couple of weeks back ,the battery is discharging at a very fast rate, before going to bed it was 30% when i woke up it drooped to 30%, how can such a fast discharge yhappens without using the phone, is there any defect in battery???

Phone is using data probably

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2 #AOKP-Till-I-Die

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The phone will tell you what apps are using the most battery. Look in settings / battery. Do a screen capture. Tap Screen, and do a screen capture. Go back, tap the graph, and do a screen capture. Post them all on the forum, and we can try to help.

But without data, all we can do is guess (see my sig).Also read the posts above yours, there's useful information there.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
before going to bed it was 30% when i woke up it dropped to 30%
I'm having trouble making sense of the information you provided here. As Meyer noted, you'll need to provide those 3 screenshots (which basically show how long the screen has been on; the list of all apps that were running and how much power they used; and what your signal strength was like), and ideally your phone should start off fully charged before you start gathering the data.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

soxgreen

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I'm new here and don't know much about technology, but I'll try to provide as much info as possible, so hopefully you can help me out! I'm having a battery issue on my Samsung Galaxy S3 that seems much more serious than regular use drainage. I've had my phone since November 2012 and this is the first time the battery has been this bad. I just charged it and after just turning on the screen to check the time, out was down 10%. I rarely have my data turned on, I always have the power saver on, and I frequently hold down the home button to close all open programs. I'm not sure what's going on or what to do. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I tried to attach my screen shots but I couldn't figure out how, so I'll try to at least give you the numbers. It says 45 minutes on battery, 30% (remaining). 61% screen, 25% internet, 7% android system, 7% android os

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like you didn't charge the battery to 100% before disconnecting it from the charger the last time. For the battery stats to be meaningful, you need to charge to 100% and then disconnect. Use the phone normally until the battery is down to 50% or less, and then post screen shots. In addition to the initial battery screen you describe above, tap on the row that says "Screen" and capture that one, then go back and tap on the graph itself, and capture that one.

There are a couple of ways to post screen shots. if the images are on a web site, click on the little icon above the text entry area (when typing your post) that looks like a tree inside a frame, and paste the URL of the image. If the images are on a PC, click on the button below the text entry area that says "Go Advanced." Down below the text entry area you'll see a button labeled "manage attachments." Click there.

Marwa Karimi

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi there I'm new to my new Android phone and I really need help the battery is going a bit crazy it's draining too quickly.Is really annoying to charge my phone every day.Can you give me some advice?

Hi there you seem to know everything about technology.I need help I'm new to my Samsung Galaxy S4 and the battery is draining too quickly and is actually annoying to charge it every day.Could you please help?

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is really annoying to charge my phone every day.
I'm not sure why charging the phone while you sleep is an annoyance, but to each his own. You really only have a few options:
- get some other kind of phone (iPhone, dumb phone, etc)
- get a battery like this one ZeroLemon Samsung Galaxy S4 7500mAh Extended Battery http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXZI3DQ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3004627

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

linoleum87

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm having an awful time with my battery now too. Last week I got my zerolemon 7000mAh extended battery, charged it up fully, and was good for a few days. Charged it again all night, and it only went to 50ish%. Used it on and off all day at a festival, charged it again, and still only got in the 50% range. I now see almost no increase in battery life over the stock battery, despite the hugely increased capacity. It will never charge more than 50% (give or take) and is ready to die each night. After contacting zerolemon, they say "Please do not use any battery apps for benchmarking as they are not accurate for they are programmed only for original capacity. This battery is more than 3 times the original capacity and no battery apps are designed for this capacity." It worked properly the first time, and showed 100%, and then only slowly dropped, so I'm thinking maybe I actually did get a lemon.

These screenshots were taken after a battery pull. I left the battery out for about 5 minutes, and STILL it says it's been on battery power for over 60 hours.

I use BatteryGuru, and have it set to stop many of my apps from updating or synching until they are used, so there should not be a constant drain for no reason.

Any thoughts/help/advice would be appreciate. Also, if anyone has more insight on the reading of the zerolemon capacity, that would be great too. Thanks.

IScreenshot_2013-08-21-11-29-48.pngScreenshot_2013-08-21-11-29-58.png

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The battery charts are pretty much useless unless you start with a full charge. The fact that you pulled the battery is irrelevant - the only thing that resets the stats is a full charge.

You could try shutting the phone off completely to charge it in case there's some rogue process running that's overloading the processor.

I'd agree that the stats should work correctly like it did the first time you used the new battery. I don't happen to have one of these though so I can't speak from experience. Perhaps you should ditch that battery app in case it's interfering with resetting the stats.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

linoleum87

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
You could try shutting the phone off completely to charge it in case there's some rogue process running that's overloading the processor.

Sorry, should have mentioned the last two nights I've done exactly that. (see the vertical line for battery power rather than a curved line). Hasn't seemed to make any difference.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Arrgh! The only way I've heard of to clear the battery stats is on a rooted phone. You could try booting into Recovery mode and clearing the cache. Otherwise I'm at a loss - if you left it charging all night and the battery "appears" almost dead after one day of usage then perhaps something is wrong with it.
Don't suppose you know someone else with an S3 that you could get to try it?

There's always the dreaded Factory Reset...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why is my Samsung galaxy s3 battery draining so quickly?

Why is my Samsung galaxy s3 battery draining so quickly?
I couldn't hazard a guess with so little information provided.

How about listing the:
- model number
- firmware version
- providing the following three screenshots from Settings -> More (if using the Tab view) -> Battery
benuzuda.jpg
zu8a8e8a.jpg
5ahuvydu.jpg
Be sure the phone is fully charged before you remove it from the charger, and let it discharge to at least 30%, with no intermediate charge cycles. Other than those two constraints, use it like normal.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Shelter7

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi my battery is being killed by its not the sync thats the the problem. Every few weeks an app pops up in my battery usage saying about 78% usage . I unistall the application but then it happens to another app. These apps usely require an internet connection but the internet is turned off. I have checked and they have not be collecting lots of data either. Also when I take my phone off charge it goes down to 92% in about 5 minutes. I have to charge my phone every day and it takes over 3 hours! HELP! ( Ihave an advanced task manager which says all apps are closed.)

If the stock battery is affected like this, try to replace it from time to time with an external battery and analyze the difference, Usually, customers choosing this method, are very satisfied by the alternative solution, lasting up to 4 days. I can recommend you to search for Zerolemon batteries:)

Jobjo666

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi my battery on my samsung s3 is awful. Lasts from 7.30am till 2pm every day. What can i do ? Unplugged today at 8.50am was on 99% and is already on 87% at 9.20am!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
What can i do?
You can start by reading through http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=245406
to see if any of the suggestions provided apply to you. There's lots of tools mentioned that will help you to monitor your battery life, and there are also suggestions about additional information you need to provide if you still need help.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886