Why is my Nexus 4 battery notification flickering while charging and won't hold a charge?

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 4 battery notification is flickering while charging and won't hold a charge.

So last night I was charging my phone like normal and when I woke up my phone was blazing hot and off. So naturally I immediately unplugged it and began cooling it off by placing it on the cool ground and flipping it over until at a normal temperature. When it finally cooled off, I attempted to charge it again but the little lightning bolt on the battery is flickering instead of being solid on the battery itself like usual while charging. Now, this tells me that somewhere in the phone there's a connection issue where the battery cant pick up the full current. Now, I don't know if it's just the battery cause the battery has been draining faster and faster lately but I want to be sure before I buy a battery and install it only to find out there's something wrong with the phone internally. So any help or diagnosis would surely help today thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My nexus 4 battery notification is flickering while charging and won't hold a charge.

Welcome to Android Central! It sounds like your battery may just be failing. Faster draining recently, along with overheating when trying to charge, support this possibility.

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: My nexus 4 battery notification is flickering while charging and won't hold a charge.

I think it might be, do you know of any credible places to get a new N4 battery for the lowest price?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think you just need to look around for good local shops. Search on Yelp, to start with.

androidTOP10

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I have been having trouble with over heating too. I have also had intermittent problems charging. However, I didn't connect the two until I saw this post. I have been trying all kinds of battery apps and was about to do a factory reset. I am going to buy a new battery today!

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

Okay so I replaced the battery and I plugged it in only to find the same issue. The replaced battery was in an older phone that I had due to a cracked screen and it charged properly while on the other phone but when I changed it over nothing happened that would let the battery be messed up. So, what I'm assuming is the connection from the battery to the charger port is messed up. So I'm assuming I need to get that fixed. Also the battery kind of gives off a sweet smell? So I don't know if that's bad or not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It think you're right, unfortunately. Not sure about the sweet smell.

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go figure out how much it'd cost to fix the connection on the daughterboard I'd do it myself but it's kinda scary cause I don't want to break my phone :T I'll keep this thread updated as I go along.

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

Okay, so I went to a repair shop and they told me my phone wasn't able to be fixed because it was a connection issue within the phones charger port. Luckily, I did have another phone so they swapped the part and it worked with my old battery that I had originally. Now, the only thing is I took out the old battery cause I bought a new one and when i put it in, it didn't turn on when I got it. I figured maybe it just needed to charge. I put the phone to charge but no notification came up only a red light when I touched the power button. I looked into this and they said to boot it up using the volume down key and power button. I did that and it booted up like normal. However, I plug in the phone to charge and it stays at 48% and never goes any higher. I found this odd so I turned it off and tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't turn on unless i did the bootloader again and it has been this way ever since. I don't know if it's the battery that's messing with it or what but I'm gonna let it drain out completely and then charge it up to see if that works. Any suggestions please let me know

Stylazation

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

Red light flickering usually means that the phone went into hibernation due to low battery status, it happened to me couple of times and just leaving it with the charger on for fifteen minute or starts charging normally when turned off.

The "heated up" device and slow charging is indication to charging on USB where the current is lowered. That happens mostly when phone is connected to PC via USB and then disconnected and connected to charger right after. For a proper charge the phone should be saying "charging on AC" in the battery option.
Should connect and come back look at it, if it's saying charging on USB disconnect it and then connect it again if that happens again disconnect from the charger (deattach from charger and attach USB cable again while charging port connected to phone and charger in socket already).
Hope you get it all figured out.

Sent from my Nexus IV using Tapatalk running Android 5.0 L Preview.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23