Why isn't my lock password for my Android Device manager working?

A

AC Question

My lock password from android device manager will not work

I woke up and upgraded to 5.0 on my s5 and 1 hour later my lock screen changed to a pin instead of pattern. I have no clue what pin it is so I researched and discovered that I could use the Android Device Manager to ring, lock, or erase. I sure dont want to erase so I locked the device with a password. Only thing is the password will not work. I try it for 5 of the 10 able times then resend a new password which gives me 10 more attempts but it still says incorrect attempt every time. I have tried 4 digit pins and 4 letter words to no avail. I make the phone ring from ADM but it will not unlock.

What do I need to do?

Andrew Mayne

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

After digging around on the internet, none of the techniques I found worked, and I was about to give up and reset my phone, losing all my data in the process :-(

– Android Device Manager allowed me to put a lock on my phone, but I could not enter the new password on the screen
– The lock screen kept saying that my Google username and password were incorrect (they were correct)
– Debug mode was disabled on my phone, so no adb
– I couldn’t get to the notification menu whilst in-call

What did work, as a last ditch try before factory resetting my phone, is going through Google’s ‘I can’t log into a device but can log into the browser’ troubleshooter, which led me to create an app password. I created an app password and used that as my login password on the lock screen, and to my astonishment, my phone was saved! Please share for those locked out of their phones and desperate to keep their data as I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

After digging around on the internet, none of the techniques I found worked, and I was about to give up and reset my phone, losing all my data in the process :-(

– Android Device Manager allowed me to put a lock on my phone, but I could not enter the new password on the screen
– The lock screen kept saying that my Google username and password were incorrect (they were correct)
– Debug mode was disabled on my phone, so no adb
– I couldn’t get to the notification menu whilst in-call

What did work, as a last ditch try before factory resetting my phone, is going through Google’s ‘I can’t log into a device but can log into the browser’ troubleshooter, which led me to create an app password. I created an app password and used that as my login password on the lock screen, and to my astonishment, my phone was saved! Please share for those locked out of their phones and desperate to keep their data as I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else.
Welcome as a new member and thank you for sharing. It may indeed help others. ☺

EasyPappi

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: My lock password from android device manager will not work

Hi. I reaching out because i have the same problem. Did you ever get your issue solved? Please help/contact me via email or even here...I;d really appreciate. Email is [Email removed by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Devesh Maheshwari1

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Can you please help and explain what do you mean by "What did work, as a last ditch try before factory resetting my phone, is going through Google’s ‘I can’t log into a device but can log into the browser’ troubleshooter, which led me to create an app password. I created an app password and used that as my login password on the lock screen

Can you plese suggest which link did you visited and what did you do ?

Thanks,
Devesh

Jawsy

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
The 'real' fix for this is to keep trying similar pin numbers from the one you thought you used.
I just spent an hour unlocking my device and it seems that it did not take the new pin I earlier set up.
I'm 100% sure of this because I have unlocked my phone with the one I knew I entered several times today.

Update: I had more issues yesterday, there definitely is a problem with locking.
I unlocked, turned off my screen, clicked power button again because I forgot to do something and it said I had tried too many times and had to wait 25 more seconds.
After waiting, I used my pin again as usual.

Also, when such issues occur, it seems that the smartlock also seems to fail for some reason, I use facial recognition.

Last edited:

johnnyk8

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: My lock password from android device manager will not work

This occurred today with my phone. I entered my pin 30 times and it failed every time. Rebooted the phone and then the pin worked.

An Owl

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

What is the link for this as can't find where the ' Google’s ‘I can’t log into a device but can log into the browser’ troubleshooter,' is???

& what is an app password?

do I have to have anything set up in google also like 2-step verifaication or anything BEFORE tryin this?

If anyone can please help, please do.

Samsung phone locked when fingerprint scanner didn't work & then Back up password wasn't accepted. Was 99% sure of what it was. I knownot 100%.

ADM doesn't work with any of the 'tricks' to do with Locate or Lock or new password/message/call owner number etc.

nelsongh

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I also have the same problem, Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password you entered won't be needed. I need this to be solve because I don't want to reset my phone I have a lot of things that I don't want to loose

An Owl

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
yeah so I've heard. thing is as I alredy had a 'Locate & Lock, & remotely reset password via a PC on ADM I thought there would be no need to register the phone with findmymobile on the Samsung site. ....why have two to do same job. ...if I only knew how rubbish ADM was to help me. :"""(
Any other help people?

Pittsburgh33

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
My issue was that I could not change the setting for the pin password while in the phone AFTER successfully unlocking the screen remotely. If you're able to go to Samsung "find my mobile" and unlock the screen remotely the only way it worked for me to then change the security setting inside the phone itself was to go to "find my mobile" through the phone's browser itself and it gives you an option under "more" to "unlock" the phone and as it does this it overrides and resets the pin setting back to default allowing you to now set up the setting from scratch. NO data was lost.

Robin9422

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
This is the best possible solution for unlocking your device since Google's Device Manager gives the "already locked" message. Once you have the screen unlocked, THEN go to Google Device Manager to reset your password by re-locking the screen.

Gldo

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
I've find a way to unlock it if you have Samsung account go to http://findmymobile.samsung.com
then login to your Samsung account choose lockmydevice put a password then lock it
Capture.PNG
go to your phone and you will have samsung lock screen on it put your pass and it will unlock the phone but google password won't be removed yet as it will ask again once the screen locked now step 2 go back to findmymobile website this time press more and you will find unlock my device
Capture.PNG
go throw it and it will remove google password sample as that

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 29

ArmedBandit MB

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I cannot use the new password on my device from android device manager, please help.

I've been having a similar problem on my Huawei p9 lite, when i change the password from android device manager, i cannot actually enter the password on my device. I read on another website that changing it on device manager would open a new box to enter the password but it doesn't show up on my phone.

I would really appreciate all the help i can get.

SpoiledRotties

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
:confused: Well, I can say one thing, this is NOT simply a Samsung issue...
I had a "friend" take off with some of my electronics, including at least one phone, so I went to Google/Android Manager and locked 'em all down, set a password & proceeded to search my place and find whatever wasn't taken - one of the phones is a ZTE which I found today, and I am certain what the password was that I set (just LAST NIGHT) but it won't accept the password, and won't let me remotely reset it, I get to lock it (re-lock actually), change the message, sure, but no option to change the password/pin. Pretty messed up.
Since it is obviously not a Samsung issue, hey GOOGLE - fix this mess you made and acknowledge you made it, PLEASE!
I also do NOT wish to perform a reset on a device that is mine and in my grubby little hands - so NOW WHAT?

I'm on a desktop- that's a negative...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe