Why isn't my lock password for my Android Device manager working?

A

AC Question

My lock password from android device manager will not work

I woke up and upgraded to 5.0 on my s5 and 1 hour later my lock screen changed to a pin instead of pattern. I have no clue what pin it is so I researched and discovered that I could use the Android Device Manager to ring, lock, or erase. I sure dont want to erase so I locked the device with a password. Only thing is the password will not work. I try it for 5 of the 10 able times then resend a new password which gives me 10 more attempts but it still says incorrect attempt every time. I have tried 4 digit pins and 4 letter words to no avail. I make the phone ring from ADM but it will not unlock.

What do I need to do?

Thanh Le4

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys
I was in the same problem. Finger scan stop working , forgot the password, used Google device manager but receive a report saying it is locked. Google and found myself here but there's no help. But here it is....

On the screen, there was an option to unlock using google account, just sign in from your device then give it a new PIN

It works perfectly though that I'm so glad I have to share the happiness...

Mombo Man

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
After an update last night I was locked out as my pin no longer worked. Using ADM I was also getting the "Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password that you entered won't be needed." As my last guess (10 of 10) using the last 4 of my social worked. Good luck.

Lister of Smeg

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me:
I was locked out of Samsung S5 after turning on the fingerprint scanner. Scanner didn't recognise or even ask for print. The screen locked and asked for a password I didn't remember/never set.
Went through Google device manger through my gmail account to unlock the phone.
Got ""Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password that you entered won't be needed." Or words to that effect.
Solution:
1- Went to 'findmymobile.samsung.com'
2- click 'find your id or password'
3- then I could put in my gmail/email account
4-Samsung site sent me a link to enter a new password for my Samsung account
5-the reset password email went to my gmail junk folder
6-clicked link in the email
7-put in new password
8-the device manager on 'findmymobile.samsung.com' opened
8-Clicked option to unlock my phone.
And unlock it did

(I don't remember ever having a Samsung account- I may have set one up on buying the phone as perhaps it was obligatory, like an Apple ID)
I didn't have wi-fi enabled, but I did have my SIM card in with network/4G on.

Hope this works for somebody
All the best

Stonepilot

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I actually accused my 10-year old of hacking my phone and turning off the fingerprint scanner so he could play games on it. I set the PIN to be the current year, 2015, and the very first time I went to enter the PIN, I was locked out.

I had ADM lock and then send a new "password" for the phone, I also had it send a notes to the phone and those show up in just a couple of seconds.

Now I only get a PIN box to access the phone, is it possibly that it's looking for a PASSWORD instead of a pin, maybe those are entered into the system differently, even though the human sees 0000, Android might interpret it as a different secure character input?

I don't know, the phone is just locked out on me, and I'm pissed. This is 0.0% acceptable. Really not good at all.

Galaxy S5 on AT&T. Just updated to a new version of Android in the last 2 or 3 weeks, pushed from AT&T.

Last edited:

Stonepilot

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys
I was in the same problem. Finger scan stop working , forgot the password, used Google device manager but receive a report saying it is locked. Google and found myself here but there's no help. But here it is....

On the screen, there was an option to unlock using google account, just sign in from your device then give it a new PIN

It works perfectly though that I'm so glad I have to share the happiness...

What version of Android, what type of device, what carrier?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I actually accused my 10-year old of hacking my phone so he could play games on it.

I had ADM lock and then send a new "password" for the phone, I also had it send a notes to the phone and those show up in just a couple of seconds.

Now I only get a PIN box to access the phone, is it possibly that it's looking for a PASSWORD instead of a pin, maybe those are entered into the system differently, even though the human sees 0000, Android might interpret it as a different secure character input?

I don't know, the phone is just locked out on me, and I'm pissed. This is 0.0% acceptable.
Hello. Just to say there used to be a little icon to the right of the entry field that changes the dialpad to a keyboard for passwords and vice versa.

Other than that, it seems to be an ongoing problem until Google recognises and fixes it.

AniaKeira

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
anybody found a solutions for that? it happend to me on my samsung alpha today

i think ADM is not sending new password to device...so whats universal password for new samsung/ android devices?

Dioncio Rodriguez

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
This is insane, I have the same problem, how can factory reset be only solution, one solution which not active on my device is find my phone through samsung and can unlock through there. but needs to be active on phone. this is ridiculous

foehammer343

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me:
I was locked out of Samsung S5 after turning on the fingerprint scanner. Scanner didn't recognise or even ask for print. The screen locked and asked for a password I didn't remember/never set.
Went through Google device manger through my gmail account to unlock the phone.
Got ""Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password that you entered won't be needed." Or words to that effect.
Solution:
1- Went to 'findmymobile.samsung.com'
2- click 'find your id or password'
3- then I could put in my gmail/email account
4-Samsung site sent me a link to enter a new password for my Samsung account
5-the reset password email went to my gmail junk folder
6-clicked link in the email
7-put in new password
8-the device manager on 'findmymobile.samsung.com' opened
8-Clicked option to unlock my phone.
And unlock it did

(I don't remember ever having a Samsung account- I may have set one up on buying the phone as perhaps it was obligatory, like an Apple ID)
I didn't have wi-fi enabled, but I did have my SIM card in with network/4G on.

Hope this works for somebody
All the best

I followed these steps and it worked for me when nothing else would! Thank you so much!

Sean Paul2

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely furious with your response to this question from the OP. I work for a UK carrier EE. I live in Ireland. I've spoken to EE customers with this issue and the issue happens with all my 3 android devices, s5, s4 and s3 mini on vodafone ireland. Please don't make comments like that when you have no idea what your talking about. My S5 is flashed with an Albanian vodafone rom and it happens. This is a service run by google. Nothing to do with your carrier whatsoever. Problem with your emails?...call your carrier...problem with whatsapp but mobile data works otherwise?...call your carrier.....Problem with your latest software update?....call your carrier....ridiculous!!!! In short, this is what your carrier is responsible for. Read this carefully so in future you don't give more idiotic advice to readers on here. Calls, signal, mast checks, 4g, 3g, 2g availability and checks, online account support for apps to track usage and bills, sms and mms, voicemail, internet apn settings configuration. Capiche?

stfne1985

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
"If people are silly enough to not have there phone backed up when there are so many ways to do so, serve them right."

Sean Paul, why even comment if you're just going to berate other users? There's no need to be so rude. If you don't have anything productive to contribute, don't comment. Maybe I should have spent a little more time showing my mom how to use and protect her new phone. All she wants is to recover her photos of my stepdad, who's been in a coma since April. It doesn't "serve [her] right" to lose such precious memories just because she isn't as smart phone savvy as you.

olivey9

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Go to://findmymobile.samsung.com/ if you're using Samsung, people!
- Login using your Google account (I use my Google account to log-in, it worked)
- Scroll down and search for "Unlock your device"
- Click "Unlock my screen"
- Lastly, click "Unlock".

I'm really glad that it actually worked, I actually was thinking of just going to factory reset my phone, but glad I didn't.

tl214

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a Moto X that I generally use the same 4 passcode pins for access. Yesterday I changed it to one of my regular pins I use. Two hours later when I went to use my phone and had to unlock it, it said I entered the pin wrong. So I thought maybe I hadn't saved it and entered my prior pin. That didn't work. Here I am the next day and two calls to Motorola, searching internet and asking tech savvy friends and no resolution. According to Motorola's manual for my phone, after 5 failed attempts I should be prompted to enter my Google account information to reset the code. Which would be great because I use my Google account all of the time and know my password. However, it's not doing that. I was told if I made 10 attempts (by Verizon) that my phone would do a factory reset. I tried going into ADM but that no longer offers the choice to have the password reset. While on with Motorola I ended up trying 35 times to enter my pin. At increments of 5 tries I would receive the wait 30 seconds and try again. Now Motorola says I have to wait 30 minutes, not 30 seconds, and try again and then I should be prompted. In the meantime my phone is still working. I am getting calls, which I can't answer, and notifications for emails, texts, etc. that I can't access. So the phone is working otherwise. I just can't get into it. Any suggestions?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: My lock password from android device manager will not work

Very little hope that this will work, but try Safe Mode.

Posted via the Android Central App

Boggie_sharps

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I just got a new Samsung galaxy s3 and I tired putting a password on the phone and it doesn't work.
it doesn't even tell you to swipe to unlock.
I tap the power button to lock and it doesn't work it just comes back to the normal screen. Please help.