Will root persist (or can it be regained) if I take Sprint's Galaxy S5 OTA update from 5.0 to 6.0.1?

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Android 5.0. Sprint's 6.0.1 OTA update says:
"After updating, you will not be able to downgrade to the old software because of updates to the security policy.​

I'd like to be rooted on Sprint's 6.0.1 (and possibly try out some Marshmallow custom ROMs).

If I root and install a custom recovery on Android 5.0, will root and the custom-recovery persist after taking Sprint's OTA v6.0.1 update?

If not, is there a root method available for Sprint's 6.0.1?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Android 5.0. Sprint's 6.0.1 OTA update says:
"After updating, you will not be able to downgrade to the old software because of updates to the security policy.​

I'd like to be rooted on Sprint's 6.0.1 (and possibly try out some Marshmallow custom ROMs).

If I root and install a custom recovery on Android 5.0, will root and the custom-recovery persist after taking Sprint's OTA v6.0.1 update?

If not, is there a root method available for Sprint's 6.0.1?

If you root now on Android 5.0, your phone will not OTA update. You will need to download and flash the stock firmware via Odin. This process will unroot you. At present, there is no chainfire CF-Auto-Root for the Sprint model, G900P, on Android 6.0.1. I do not think Kingo root works either and TowelRoot has died a death. You could hang fire and perhaps see if a custom stock rooted ROM comes out for your phone, on, say, the xda developers forum.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ironass! That's what I figured.

So I guess my options are:
  1. Root on 5.0 and install a custom Marshmallow ROM. The Marshmallow ROMs are slightly buggy, from what I've read. Right? Is CM13 the best?
  2. Root on 5.0 and hope that a rooted version of Sprint's 6.0.1 stock ROM is released. What is the likelihood? 50%?
  3. Upgrade to 6.0.1 and hope that a root method is developed. What is the likelihood? 20%?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Ironass! That's what I figured.

So I guess my options are:
  1. Root on 5.0 and install a custom Marshmallow ROM. The Marshmallow ROMs are slightly buggy, from what I've read. Right? Is CM13 the best?
  2. Root on 5.0 and hope that a rooted version of Sprint's 6.0.1 stock ROM is released. What is the likelihood? 50%?
  3. Upgrade to 6.0.1 and hope that a root method is developed. What is the likelihood? 20%?

Option...

1. Unlike the international G900F model that is available in half the countries of the world on the GSM network, the Sprint model is only available in one country and on the CDMA network. Therefore, it follows that development of ROMs for this are few and far between. If you can live with a stock Google Nexus like ROM that is regularly updated and receives security patches almost before the stock Nexus devices, then CM13 is one of, if not, the best as it enjoys such widespread support. Very light and extremely fast.

2. You are probably correct at 50% (see item 4)

3. chainfire is without a doubt one of the true heroes of the rooting world and works very hard to keep abreast of things. Therefore, I think it is only a matter of weeks before we see a CF-Auto-Root for the G900P on Android 6.0.1... say 80%

4. There are some Android 6.0.1 ROMs in the xda forum, now...

Samsung Galaxy S 5 Unified Development

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So I guess my options are:Root on 5.0 and install a custom Marshmallow ROM.
You're wasting effort. The rooting goes with the ROM, so rooting 5.0 just to replace it with 6.0 gives you nothing for the rooting.

The Marshmallow ROMs are slightly buggy, from what I've read. Right?
6.0 isn't on most phones. From what I've seen here, 6.0.1 has a problem.

Root on 5.0 and hope that a rooted version of Sprint's 6.0.1 stock ROM is released.
Same problem. Why root on LP, when you want rooted MM? The whole environment could change. Xposed has caused a lot of problems when going from 4.4.4 to 5.0.

What is the likelihood? 50%?
Of someone finding an exploit for 6.0.2 (you don't want 6.0.2) for that phone? It took about a year for someone to find one for the Note 3.

Upgrade to 6.0.1 and hope that a root method is developed. What is the likelihood? 20%?
With rooting, it runs either 100% or 0%. Either someone finds a bug in the stock ROM that can be exploited to gain root or no one does. (Weeks? Unless there's a huge bug in the stock ROM, rooting doesn't take weeks.)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards