Your first impressions of the Note2 (Give us your review!)

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Love everything about this phone.

Except...

Well, not so much a complaint because I don't see myself doing this often.. But when you have the S Pen out and just browsing an app or Internet or something.. The back and menu buttons aren't S Pen sensitive, so you have to use your fingers. It's a little awkward.

TheDroidLurker

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
While pressing the button on the stylus, use the s-pen to draw a < on the screen. That is the "back" function. Likewise, if you draw a ^ symbol, it will open the menu.

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
While pressing the button on the stylus, use the s-pen to draw a < on the screen. That is the "back" function. Likewise, if you draw a ^ symbol, it will open the menu.

I know about that, but it's kind of a clunky feature. They should be just made the back and menu buttons sensitive.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to remove the Wifi thing in the notification bar? Really don't like that lol.

I turned off Wi-Fi (don't use it as I'm surrounded by LTE with unlimited data) and under its settings, unchecked "Notify me" and haven't seen a single Wi-Fi notification anywhere since.

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Love everything about this phone.

Except...

Well, not so much a complaint because I don't see myself doing this often.. But when you have the S Pen out and just browsing an app or Internet or something.. The back and menu buttons aren't S Pen sensitive, so you have to use your fingers. It's a little awkward.

That's why they have s pen shortcuts, I guess. :) While pressing the S Pen button, draw a <, that's BACK. A ^ is for MENU.

uploadfromtaptalk1354327313192.jpg

Don't forget to press the S pen button while drawing the shortcuts. It felt awkward at first but now it kinda comes naturally. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
After 36 hours with the Note 2, I have to say "WOW", I'm really loving it! What a night and day difference from the Thunderbolt (it was a good phone for me, no problems like others have had, just felt it was time to move on).

- The data connection is rock solid, always locked on to LTE. It's dropped to 3G a couple times (when in a weak signal area), but quickly picked up LTE again without any intervention on my part.
- Voice calls (ear and speaker) are loud and clear.
- Battery life is phenomenal! Currently at 4 hours of screen on time with 45% battery left!
- Performs like a champ! It's buttery smooth and FAST! Not a single hiccup with anything I've thrown at it.
- The 5.5" screen is beautiful, bright and crisp; everything looks great on it!
- Size wise, the phone is very comfortable in hand; easy to hold in portrait mode and for me in landscape as well (that may be hard for those with smaller hands though).
- Loving the stock browser, it's very similar to the AOSP browser that I find runs circles around Chrome on my Nexus 7 (which is why it's disabled and has the AOSP browser instead). The browser is fast and smooth, has text overflow (double click, it zooms in to fit text on the screen) and supports the same bookmarks I had on my previous phone, so was able to bring them over without a problem (couldn't do that with Chrome on the Nexus 7).
- The built-in file manager (My Files) is awesome (no need to download one). It allows you to browse and manipulate any files/folders on the internal storage and the SD card.
- Need more time with the S-Pen (never used one before), but so far really liking it and look forward to learning all its tricks and becoming proficient with it.
- Love the Samsung spare battery charger, always have a fully charged spare ready to go at a moments notice (killer feature IMO). It makes a good stand (portrait or landscape) as well and has eliminated my fear of losing the Thunderbolt's native kickstand.

MKita

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When I scroll down the notification bar its the first thing. Drives me crazy because I always hit it by mistake.

How do you guys like the music player? Better than Google Music? I put music on the phone so I don't need it to stream and stuff.

Transmitted from my Galaxy Note II

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Haha had so much trouble attaching that photo someone had already replied. :))

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It's such a small thing but honestly one of my favorite things about the S Pen is unlocking the phone with it. Instead of just ripples in the water, the pen leaves ink blots.. Love that..

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Well, here's my first attempt at a review for a phone. Hope someone gets something out of it.
I picked up my GN2 on launch day around 11 or so. There was a pretty big line at my local Verizon store (I'm military, stationed in El Paso, Texas), so I went to see if they had a display model. There was a Samsung rep there who talked a few of us through the phones and answered some questions. Pretty good guy. At the time, the stores demo models weren't hooked up properly, so we really couldn't get a good idea from those.
After about 30 minutes or so, I was finally called and was able to get my phone. I was coming from a Razr Maxx. Obviously, the first thing I noticed is the size. While the phone is large, and it does take some getting used to, I'm finding today that I'm totally used to it. Picking up something smaller just seems almost wrong right now.
Display-ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!! I know the Razr Maxx didn't have the best display, so maybe I'm a little biased right now, but this thing looks great. I know there may be better ones out there, but I am more than happy with the display this beast has on it. I currently use auto-brightness, and decided to turn it up to full brightness, and everything seemed to almost pop off the screen. If it wasn't such a battery killer, I would probably leave it at full brightness the entire time.
Speed-Once again, could be a bit biased. My Razr Maxx was starting to have stuttering issues and some other things going on that couldn't be fixed (rumored to be fixed in the next software update), but the phone flies. Not only is there no lag in the touch screen, but even other things, such as installing from the Google Play store, is much faster than I anticipated. I've been off and on Wi-Fi and 4G since I have had it, and I can't really speak of the actual speeds in that aspect at all. I just know it only takes a few seconds from the time the apps start installing until they are finished. Another good speed example is boot up time. It took around 30 seconds from hitting the button until the actual home screen came on. From there, around another 10-15 seconds to read the SD card and be fully ready to go. Between the Razr Maxx and my previous phone being an HTC Thunderbolt, I was used to waiting around a full minute for the screen to come on, and then another minute or so before the phone was fully functional.
S-Pen-I'm still learning the tips and tricks about the S-Pen, so right now, I can't really give a good review on that at all. I know there are only a few apps that really take advantage of it, but being at work yesterday and today, I just haven't had a chance. Maybe since I'm off for the weekend, I'll really give everything a good go.
Battery Life-I have to say, this, by far, has been the most surprising for me. I have read reviews at many different sites, and the reviews that came out were for other versions of the GN2, not the Verizon version with 4G LTE. Disclaimer: I live in El Paso, Texas, which has LTE, but in certain parts, it's kinda dead. I also work inside a building on Fort Bliss that on my previous phones, would lose signal throughout the day, so I would be hopping from LTE to 3G to 1X to no signal and back and forth all day. For whatever reason (maybe the radios give a better reading in the GN2 than the Razr Maxx), that really wasn't the case today. For my first day, I charged it as much as I could at work, and then came home to finish setting everything up. The phone came off the charger around 3 p.m., and I plugged it back in around 11:30 that evening. I would say that day was very heavy usage. Playing with it, downloading all my apps that I wanted all over again, just checking random things out, setting up accounts, ect....When I finally plugged it back in that evening, the battery level was around 25%. I was on Wi-Fi mostly during this time since I was at home, so that could have helped.
I plug my phone in overnight and leave it on the charger until I leave for the morning. I leave for work around 7 a.m. Today, I wanted to give it an actual test. I didn't plug the phone in until 10:30 p.m. (as I am writing this review), and the battery level was at 30%. I know after a few charging cycles the life will get better. While the battery life on this may not be as good as the Razr Maxx, as I stated, I was very surprised at the life. For a screen this size, and to be on LTE for that long definitely impressed me.
I know there is no such thing as a perfect phone out there, as every few months something new and better comes out, but I may have found the perfect phone for ME. That should be ultimately what matters, is that the perfect phone for you? I know not all of the multi-window apps work on this phone because of Verizon, but for me, that's not an issue right now. Honestly, how many people really use absolutely every single feature on their phone? There may be some that do, but I would guess for the most part, probably not many. I know there are many people who don't like the Verizon logo on the home button, but once again, that doesn't bother me at all. My Razr Maxx had a logo on the bottom, and my Thunderbolt had it at the top of the phone. It's there, there's nothing I can do about it, so to me, it is what it is. I don't root at all, so I have no need for the unlocked bootloader. I like the idea of using the phone the way it is. More than likely, I'd probably end up messing the phone up, so that doesn't bother me at all either.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I didn't notice that at all until I saw your post. It is pretty awesome.

It's such a small thing but honestly one of my favorite things about the S Pen is unlocking the phone with it. Instead of just ripples in the water, the pen leaves ink blots.. Love that..

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I can say without hesitation that the Note 2 is the first phone I have ever truly been 100% pleased with..if this phone has a weakness, I can't find it (so far anyway). Without question the best smartphone I have ever picked up.

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Cool! I've had this for five weeks and I haven't noticed that! Thanks!

jmob26

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got my Note II on Thursday, as many of you did, and I really couldn't begin to enjoy it until yesterday. I had added a line to my account, in an attempt to move my dad's number to my Rezound, and my number to the Note II. Well, I didn't know that as soon as I turned on the Note II, it activated itself, and I needed a new 4G sim card for each device in order to swap numbers. I fixed everything yesterday, and now finally, this phone is mine. And it is awesome! It does push the limits on phone size, but it is sure a joy to use! My jaw still drops when I open up an app with a colorful welcome screen like Evernote, Netflix, or Tweetcaster. Radios have been solid, good call quality, no random reboots. I did have to reset my NII in order for the factory weather lock screen widget to work. I think I will use today to get familiar with all the shortcuts and settings for this phone. I thought it would be hard to top my Rezound, but I think this one is on its way to doing so.

agreco60

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The phone is unreal...The only problem so far is that when listening to music in the car thru the headphone jack I can't answer or receive calls thru Bluetooth. I have to unplug from the headst jack then it works. The other problem is landscape mode does not work with the home screens. After further research on the web I guess it is a problem with 4.1.1. I downloaded an app in the play store to make it work but it costs money.

Peaches36

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
The phone is unreal...The only problem so far is that when listening to music in the car thru the headphone jack I can't answer or receive calls thru Bluetooth. I have to unplug from the headst jack then it works. The other problem is landscape mode does not work with the home screens. After further research on the web I guess it is a problem with 4.1.1. I downloaded an app in the play store to make it work but it costs money.

What app did you download?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Try Nova Launcher. Homescreens work in landscape and it's fast and free :)

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
After a few hours with the phone, I'm in love. It hasso many ffeatures, quite a few more than my s3. My only gripe so far is the phone is heavy, WOW. My hands are going to get stronger holding this phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord