Another Bolt to Dinc2 conversion -- Dinc2 is SO underrated!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I've had no problems with signal on this phone it shows 1x were my d2 does and gets crap for service in house but no dropped calls like the d2 and fascinate

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I too returned Tbolt for Dinc2 and I agree that, by comparison, this is just the perfect size and weight and feels great in the hand. Feels more secure to hold too beyond just the comfort of it.

There is a surprising lack of buzz for this phone, but I guess it's understandable. It's not top of the line and isn't rooted and doesn't have the developer support or buzz for that reason, so maybe those are the drivers.

You would think this would be the phone for the masses though, given the currently incomplete 4G coverage and the current problems with it and the fact that reps actively trash the Tbolt to customers. What else are they going to push right now, the X? You'd think they'd be pushing this one hard as the steady and dependable alternative that would be the easiest, please the most people, and generate the fewest problems for them. I don't care about the lack of attention from an emotional standpoint but would like to see more attention given just because there would be more people to compare notes with and get help from and more special goodies and fixes from developers. We'll just have to roll up our sleeves and become the change we want to see, siblings!

To the person asking about call quality, I've had no issues. Right now I'm at home and am connected over femtocell (Vz network extender) so I show four bars constantly. If I were not on femtocell, I'd have 0 to 1 bars most times here in my fringe coverage area. But I haven't had problems when I drive into areas with better signal for whatever anecdotal value that may offer.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Battery sucks on the stock TB.

Luckily, we have roms and kernels to entirely alleviate that. ;)

There is a screencap in one of my threads that has a 41 hour battery time, unplugged. 14 hours of those were awake time., and the user is on 4G.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

There is a screencap in one of my threads that has a 41 hour battery time, unplugged. 14 hours of those were awake time., and the user is on 4G.

Here's what I don't get. If you guys can very quickly come up with these roms and kernels that completely remove everybody's biggest gripe with this phone and other recent HTC phones, what the hell are they doing in the programming department over at HTC? Why is it that you guys are able to tweak this and tweak that in your spare time and arrive at something so much better than what these hardcore guys can get done 9-5 when they get paid big bucks for it? If the hardware and software are capable of getting the kind of life you guys can squeeze out of this battery and others, why can't those guys make it work? You'd think after all the complaints about the battery life of things like the EVO and Incredible, they'd have taken particular care to optimize this one and any other phone they put out these days. Why don't they?

The non romming mortal masses use this phone for a week and say forget it and take it back. HTC could beat that. They could prevent that. But nope. Is there some advantage to doing it their way? Are you guys shaving off things that they think are features that people want, and that's what burns up all the juice? Is Sense just poorly made and heavy and hungry? Or are they just sloppy? Or just not very good? Or weighed down by pressure to save money by reusing code or something else bureaucratic like that? What?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site

Now if I can get THOSE kind of battery stats I will go out and buy me a Bolt ASAP.

My main question is though..... I am a totaly novice......never have rooted or done anything like that.

How hard is it for me to achieve those types of usage stats?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
And another question re rooting/romming is what are the hangups of going that direction? Like for example recently there has been talk of the OTA update for the Tbolt. I've seen people saying that it would unroot you and you'd lose your stuff and so you needed to do Titanium backup to preserve it blah blah blah. I can't tell if you can just skip all updates, like if they're optional, if you don't want that to happen or if there are some things you're going to get like it or not and it will break your stuff. What are the other things you have to live with when you root/rom? Anything? Or can you just go about your merry way without interruptions like that or disadvantages beyond losing some feature or another that you might have liked in your UI/skin or something like that?

Gwail

May 12, 2011
Visit site
For those who had the Tbolt for awhile and then changed to the DINC2, how did you do it. I've had two Verizon stores tell me they won't sell me the DINC2 to replace my TBolt. I've heard either they simply won't sell to me at retail or it has to do with the different SIM cards. Thanks in advance for your help.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
For those who had the Tbolt for awhile and then changed to the DINC2, how did you do it. I've had two Verizon stores tell me they won't sell me the DINC2 to replace my TBolt. I've heard either they simply won't sell to me at retail or it has to do with the different SIM cards. Thanks in advance for your help.

I returned mine right before the end of my 14 day evaluation period. Bought the Tbolt over the phone originally and arranged the exchange for the Dinc2 over the phone. If I had gone past the 14 day period, my understanding is that I would have been stuck with the Tbolt. But just the other day here in another thread, some guy said he returned his Bolt for a Dinc2 after a month. I don't know the circumstances there but maybe he paid full retail for one of them.

There are indeed different kinds of SIM cards in them - LTE vs. GSM - but I wouldn't think that had anything to do with why you couldn't return one for the other, not from a tech point of view. I mean you would just be switching from a 4G phone to a 3G. They'd stop associating your number with one and start associating it with the other - there wouldn't be a card transfer from one to the other. Could have been the usual salesperson ignorance, or deliberate BS to shoo you away, or it could have something to do with your plan, like you're locked into this phone and if you want a different one you have to pay full price?

Gwail

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I returned mine right before the end of my 14 day evaluation period. Bought the Tbolt over the phone originally and arranged the exchange for the Dinc2 over the phone. If I had gone past the 14 day period, my understanding is that I would have been stuck with the Tbolt. But just the other day here in another thread, some guy said he returned his Bolt for a Dinc2 after a month. I don't know the circumstances there but maybe he paid full retail for one of them.

There are indeed different kinds of SIM cards in them - LTE vs. GSM - but I wouldn't think that had anything to do with why you couldn't return one for the other, not from a tech point of view. I mean you would just be switching from a 4G phone to a 3G. They'd stop associating your number with one and start associating it with the other - there wouldn't be a card transfer from one to the other. Could have been the usual salesperson ignorance, or deliberate BS to shoo you away, or it could have something to do with your plan, like you're locked into this phone and if you want a different one you have to pay full price?

Would love to figure out how someone exchanged it after a month. I've had the TB for over a month and am fully prepared to pay full retail for the DINC2. My plan is for unlimited data but it is for both 3G/4G data. Will do more research tomorrow. May have to just order it direct from Verizon if the stores are gonna be dumb.

If anyone else has experience with this your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
No it is my regular email accounts, such as gmail, yahoo, and hot mail. They simply don't auto update on the HTC sense app. If I open them individually under each app they work fine, but kind of defeats the purpose of having your mail all in the same place. :(

shellshof#AC

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Would love to figure out how someone exchanged it after a month. I've had the TB for over a month and am fully prepared to pay full retail for the DINC2. My plan is for unlimited data but it is for both 3G/4G data. Will do more research tomorrow. May have to just order it direct from Verizon if the stores are gonna be dumb.

If anyone else has experience with this your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had the Thunderbolt for 6 weeks and kept trying to like it. I was so done with not being able to have all the features running in order to have the battery make it thru the day. I just sold my tbolt on Ebay for $450. It's not that much more for the Incredible 2 paying retail. I say just go get the Dinc 2 and move on. You will not regret it! I love my phone. The bonus is we are going to Ireland in 2 weeks and it is a world phone. I don't have to use a Storm 2 while we are gone. :eek:)

Gwail

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the Thunderbolt for 6 weeks and kept trying to like it. I was so done with not being able to have all the features running in order to have the battery make it thru the day. I just sold my tbolt on Ebay for $450. It's not that much more for the Incredible 2 paying retail. I say just go get the Dinc 2 and move on. You will not regret it! I love my phone. The bonus is we are going to Ireland in 2 weeks and it is a world phone. I don't have to use a Storm 2 while we are gone. :eek:)

Where did you buy your DINC2 from? The stores won't sell it to me for retail so I may just get it through Verizon online. I assume your current contract switched over easily?

I 95% sure I am gonna make the switch. Just trying to figure out the best way to do it. Thanks.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Best bet is to get it from VZW they have the lowest full retail price I've seen probably due to no more one year contracts

shellshof#AC

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Where did you buy your DINC2 from? The stores won't sell it to me for retail so I may just get it through Verizon online. I assume your current contract switched over easily?

I 95% sure I am gonna make the switch. Just trying to figure out the best way to do it. Thanks.

I purchased it at the Verizon Store, I love the phone!!!!!!! I have gone from a Storm1 to a storm 2 to an Eris to a Original Droid back to an Eris to a Droid X and then the Thunderbolt and then to the Incredible 2. It reminds me of the feel of the Eris but bigger and way better performance!!! Hope this helps!

ricebw

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To answer a previous question, I exchanged right before my 30 days was up -- some accounts (business accounts) are still 30 day return even though the policy switched to 14 days.

Gwail

May 12, 2011
Visit site
No chance that today's Thunderbolt update isn't going to help you like the phone more? Just curious.

The update did not sway me. My issues are with the battery and overall bulk/weight of the phone. I'd like a phone that lasts the day instead of one that uploads a website 10 seconds faster. FYI I live in the SF/Bay Area and get excellent 4G coverage.

Just ordered my DINC2 from Verizon. It should get here next Tuesday. Very excited. Thanks for everyone's help.

BTW Anyone looking for a slightly used TB? I understand this might be the wrong thread but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ;)

usmc176

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing lack of reception bars? I've noticed that in spots where my Dinc1 had full bars, I'm only getting 2-3 bars on my Dinc2. Other that, it rocks!

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing lack of reception bars? I've noticed that in spots where my Dinc1 had full bars, I'm only getting 2-3 bars on my Dinc2. Other that, it rocks!

This has been discussed multiple times across various threads. The thought is that the algorithm is probably different than it was on the Inc1. Multiple people have reported that when on 1x or no bars they have been able to browse web and make calls without issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member