Ics upgrade freezing dinc - pita!

JLDCFO

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I upgraded to ICS about two weeks ago, and ever since my much loved DINC has turned to cr$p. Freezes multiple times per day requiring battery pull. I do not recall experiencing the 2:00am reboot as many have, but then, my DINC is turned off at night.

I've done a master reset twice now with no success. I do NOT want to upgrade my phone as I have the unlimited data plan, but that's starting to look like the only option to get a working phone again.

I've read most of the threads about the ICS upgrade problems, and the only option I have not yet tried is rooting my phone. Heck, even if I blow it up, it won't be worse off then it is now. I'd like to go back to GB as it was immediately before ICS.

Before I take that drastic step, I thought I'd thow this out here and see if anyone has any other suggestions to restore the love for my DINC!

Jo

lefear

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no official ICS upgrade for the DINC.

But from the way you describe your problem, it sounds like you accepted the 4.08.605.15 update. It's still GB but is plagued with the 2 am reboots.

Read this thread for more info
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve.../182357-dinc-system-update-4-08-605-15-a.html

Unfortunately, I don't have any workable solutions for you short of rooting your DINC and putting a custom rom on it; but I don't know how experience you would be at doing it.

JLDCFO

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My bad, I realized after I wrote the original thread that the "update" wasn't ICS, just an "enhancement" as HTC has called it. I've done at least 4 factory resets and my phone still freezes. I normally turn my phone off at night, I tried an experiment two days ago and left it on all night. Next day, no freezes. Left it on and plugged in a second night, worked find yesterday. Stupid me, turned the SOB off last night, and immediately after turning it on this morning, it froze again. I believe it's now time to stop fighting this BS and move away from HTC, I think I'm going for a Razr Maxx.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My bad, I realized after I wrote the original thread that the "update" wasn't ICS, just an "enhancement" as HTC has called it. I've done at least 4 factory resets and my phone still freezes. I normally turn my phone off at night, I tried an experiment two days ago and left it on all night. Next day, no freezes. Left it on and plugged in a second night, worked find yesterday. Stupid me, turned the SOB off last night, and immediately after turning it on this morning, it froze again. I believe it's now time to stop fighting this BS and move away from HTC, I think I'm going for a Razr Maxx.

Yeah. The phone is really long in the tooth now, as far as it's internals. The memory issues are what drove me nuts ever since the GB update. It was a great phone. And in my Android Phone Hall of Fame. But I have moved on to the Galaxy S III. I still don't even know what that last update was even supposed to fix, but it seemed to cause more problems then it was purported to fix. I hope that you get that thing back to normal.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

The reason it's working better when you leave it on overnight is because part of the latest update is that it does a memory maintenance clean at 2:00am. It's buggy, as you now know, so there will likely be another update pushed to fix this one. If the phone is working better when you leave it on it's likely because of the memory maintenance routine.

PolynesianMedic

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
just do what I did, root it and run a better OS on it. I'm currently running ICS and I'm loving it

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
just do what I did, root it and run a better OS on it. I'm currently running ICS and I'm loving it

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Central Forums

Coo.. but I think you may wanna upgrade now!!! From what I've been seeing Vzw is still not forcing people off the unlimited... I'd check maybe just call in over the phone for an upgrade and if they say you will lose it then don't... But you may wanna check before they actually start enforcing it for real....

Sent from my GS3....

JLDCFO

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh, they are definitely forcing you off the unlimited. While I haven't yet upgraded my phone, I'm still on the fence. The darn thing worked just fine for a week, and I thought I was over the hurdle. Then it started rebooting continuously (which I had never had before) and freezing again. It's just become so unreliable I can't depend on it when I need it. Will either upgrade to a DINC 4G or Razr Maxx.