I'm not able to get full screen rotation in S Note after 4.4.2 update

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really having any problems since the update, but I have noticed this. I was writing some notes in S Note and I always hit the back button. Before I would just turn the phone upside down and the S note would rotate 180 degrees so I wouldn't hit the back button, I learned this after getting my Note 8 .

Well, now when I try to rotate in the app, the note will turn on both horizontal sides in Landscape View, but not rotate so I can write from the Top portion of the phone. I guess using landscape view to write solves hitting the back button, but I'd rather use the top part of the phone as less scrolling down while writing. Is anybody else having this problem or is it something I'm just experiencing.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried what you said (i dont use S note hardly ever) and get the same result; ie, the app doesn't swap top to bottom; only normal portrait and the 2 landscape modes views.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Good to know. I'll have to see if lecture notes and papyrus can still do this. May have to stop using S note on my phone now.

Edit : just checked and full screen rotation doesn't work in any app it seems. I don't understand why they would do this when devices like the note 2 and note 8 are designed in a way that you always can hit either the back or home button when writing with the s pen in portrait view. Not easy to hold the phone in landscape view to write. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you have screen rotation enabled in the pull down menu?

Good to know. I'll have to see if lecture notes and papyrus can still do this. May have to stop using S note on my phone now.

Edit : just checked and full screen rotation doesn't work in any app it seems. I don't understand why they would do this when devices like the note 2 and note 8 are designed in a way that you always can hit either the back or home button when writing with the s pen in portrait view. Not easy to hold the phone in landscape view to write. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you have screen rotation enabled in the pull down menu?

Yes, this was the first thing I checked on the phone. Also tried turning on smart screen, and no difference. Like I said above, it does rotate, but I can't turn the phone upside down when I write, because it only rotates on 3 sides, not on the top. I checked in other apps also.

Are you able to rotate the screen to write on it upside down, so the top of the phone is at the bottom?

It's the only way to write comfortably without hitting the Back and Home buttons. I haven't checked my Note 8 yet to see if same problem. I will check back later tonight and see when I get home.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this was the first thing I checked on the phone. Also tried turning on smart screen, and no difference. Like I said above, it does rotate, but I can't turn the phone upside down when I write, because it only rotates on 3 sides, not on the top. I checked in other apps also.

Are you able to rotate the screen to write on it upside down, so the top of the phone is at the bottom?

It's the only way to write comfortably without hitting the Back and Home buttons. I haven't checked my Note 8 yet to see if same problem. I will check back later tonight and see when I get home.

Mine won't allow rotation upside down in portrait mode either. I never tried it before on my Note 2 but have used it frequently on my Note 8 to aviod the back button. My Note 8 still rotates after 4.4.2.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, just tried my Note 8 with 4.4.2 and it still rotates upside down to write on it. I'm pretty sure I've done it on my phone before the update though, since I rarely use my Note 8 lately, unless heavy note writing. Now just use the phone for some quick notes and stuff. Glad it didn't change on the Note 8.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Not to be rude, just curious, what is the point of writing with the screen upside down?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Not to be rude, just curious, what is the point of writing with the screen upside down?

No, I understand. It's because if you're right handed and rest your hand on the phone, you can easily hit the back button or Home button. It was one of the reasons I hated the design of the Note 8 when it first came out. I learned from someone on the Note 8 forum here, that by turning the screen upside down and with the rotation of the screen in S Note, there are no buttons to hit by writing on it this way. That's why I ended up buying the Note 8 anyways. On my Note 10.1 there is no problem with this. When the Note 2 would rotate the screen upside down I could write my notes in S Note without hitting the back or Home button, which would happen fairly often.

When I have time I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about on my Note 8 and post it here.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No, I understand. It's because if you're right handed and rest your hand on the phone, you can easily hit the back button or Home button. It was one of the reasons I hated the design of the Note 8 when it first came out. I learned from someone on the Note 8 forum here, that by turning the screen upside down and with the rotation of the screen in S Note, there are no buttons to hit by writing on it this way. That's why I ended up buying the Note 8 anyways. On my Note 10.1 there is no problem with this. When the Note 2 would rotate the screen upside down I could write my notes in S Note without hitting the back or Home button, which would happen fairly often.

When I have time I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about on my Note 8 and post it here.

I had the same problem with my Note 8 and turn it upside down to alleviate the issue. I don't use the Note 2 for note taking to a great extent, so I haven't found a need to try this in the past. It doesn't work now but I don't know if mine ever did. I think the buttons may be more sensitive on the Note 8 since they work with the stylus, they don't with the Note 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress