RAZR Maxx or SG3

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone out there had both or tried both? Had my maxx a week and love it but debating on whether or not to give the SG3 a try. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have a buddy that had the razr maxx and the S3 as well. He loved the battery life on the maxx but loved just about everything on the S3. I personally don't recommend Motorola devices. I was just never really that happy with them. I'm a huge fan of Samsung and HTC. Go with the S3. You'll be happy in the long run. Battery life is very good straight out of the box. Device runs very nice and has a lot of speed. Definitely post your decision.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

Reactions: bgl321

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone out there had both or tried both? Had my maxx a week and love it but debating on whether or not to give the SG3 a try. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

The S3 is the newer hotter phone, if nothing else that would warrant you giving it a spin

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I am the opposite. I have had good experience with Motorola. Had the original Droid. Didn't have a good experience with the Fascinate. Thought
Samsung and Verizon support of that phone sucked so that makes me hesitant about another Samsung. Am hopeful i get more feedback. If not I'll continue on happily with my Maxx. It's not that I'm not happy with it just curious.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
The S3 is the newer hotter phone, if nothing else that would warrant you giving it a spin

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If i give it a spin and am not happy with it then I'm stuck. Otherwise I would try. Not given up this baby unless I'm convinced there is something much better.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had both. They BOTH have awesome battery. The S3 is by far faster, better screen, better camera, thinner, has a replacement battery and uses micro sd cards. S3 hands down wins in every category

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lousvette

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a Maxx for about 3 months. Have had the S3 for 3 weeks and so far the only advatage with the Maxx is the unbelievable battery life. Everthing else the S3 wins. Battery life is better on the S3 then any other 4G phone as best I can tell. So I will be selling my Maxx, keeping my S3 and not regretting it.

Reactions: sor69l and bgl321

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Out of the box, my 2 day old SGS3 and my wife's Maxx that she's had for a little over a month do about the same on power, for now anyway... We are both power users though, so I don't know about that comparison. All I know is that she LOVES her phone, but is super jealous of mine... So really, if the form factor and higher specs and removable battery, (app wise, so far about the same, mines more speedy obviously) aren't a big deal, then stick with the Maxx. Especially if you've still got unlimited data with the Maxx, not worth having this much speed if you can't even use it! In 2 days I've already gone through 2.5 gigs just playing around! (Upgraded my sons line which cut data to 2 gbs/mo on his, then switched SIM's so I could have the SGS3 I wanted with unlimited data... ;) But he went from a DiNC to a Thunderbolt, so he's happy to be a dedicated wifi user..)

Last edited:

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Out of the box, my 2 day old SGS3 and my wife's Maxx that she's had for a little over a month do about the same on power, for now anyway... We are both power users though, so I don't know about that comparison. All I know is that she LOVES her phone, but is super jealous of mine... So really, if the form factor and higher specs and removable battery, (app wise, so far about the same, mines more speedy obviously) aren't a big deal, then stick with the Maxx. Especially if you've still got unlimited data with the Maxx, not worth having this much speed if you can't even use it! In 2 days I've already gone through 2.5 gigs just playing around! (Upgraded my sons line which cut data to 2 gbs/mo on his, then switched SIM's so I could have the SGS3 I wanted with unlimited data... ;) But he went from a DiNC to a Thunderbolt, so he's happy to be a dedicated wifi user..)

Quality input. Thank you :D Is they anything about her Max that you wish you had on the S3?

I would not lose the unlimited data as I had just upgraded to the Maxx last week. I was able to keep it by buying the Maxx on my wife's upgrade and then immediately moving the phone to my line. She doesn't have a data plan.

Thanks again for the feedback. Luckily I still have 3 weeks left to figure it out. Got it through Best Buy... love the 30, day exchange policy!

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
ive always been a moto guy and i just came from the maxx . other than holding a little bit better signal in the fringe area there is nothing about the maxx that i miss . the s3 is a really good phone . the camera is better the the screen is nicer the phone as a whole just runs alot smoother . and i always make it through a normal day on one charge so for me the battery is a non issue . some will argue that the Maxx is built stronger than the s3 and that might be true but bottom line is you drop ethier onejust right and its probably toast . also i dont have near as many issues where i just lose data connection for no reason .the Maxx would drop data for no reason several times a day .

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
If you Google it, there are many comparisons out there...from credible sources.

My wife had the maxx for 13 days, returned it and went back to her Droid X to wait for the S3. She is not a power user, but couldn't see staying with the display and horrible camera for two years. Serious, it was that bad. It did have good a signal and the battery was strong. But she still had to charge it every night. She would have rather stayed with her X till the holiday phones were released than use that phone.

We both have an S3 now and very happy with them.

S3 > Maxx

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Maxx has better battery life (if you just use the stock battery size), but that is it's only trump. GS3 advantages:

Display
Speed
Runs cooler on average
Replaceable battery
Sound quality from 3.5mm jack
Games play better, since nowhere near as easy to touch navigation buttons by mistake.

I am using a Hyperion 4000 mAh battery at the moment and testing it out.

Jbartu

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have always been a moto fan, due to my travels and signal strength. I've had the Maxx since it came out, and it's a great phone. I tested both phones, side by side, for a week. The S3 performed extremely well, and held signal as well as the Maxx. The battery life really surprised me, but I needed a spare battery to make it a full day, without charging. With that said, I made the switch to the S3. The overall performance and features are worth carrying a spare battery, for me.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
since nowhere near as easy to touch navigation buttons by mistake.

I am using a Hyperion 4000 mAh battery at the moment and testing it out.

This actually is a nice difference. I had a Thin RAZR, and while it wasn't a bad phone by any means (although my battery stunk), I did notice a lot of accidental presses that I (or anyone I handed my phone to, for example to share picture) would hit and exit to home screen by accident. It's been nice not having that happen.

Not that this is reason enough to get the S3 over the RAZR, but it did happen quite a bit. :)

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
wife has maxx i have s3 if your going to use the device anywhere thats spotty on coverage get the maxx, She has signal and gets internet many times when I cannot, sure the sg3 is pretty and its snappy but the thing for me is coverage and the moto radio in our experience is better, on second s3 for other issue and its the same about as good as the old bionic was on coverage, second to the maxx though. and with ICS on the maxx I would go to it if I wasnt locked in by a refund issue to be resolved with big V

pyroelite

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I kind of miss the hdmi out now, was able to stream Comcast easily on mirror mode out at the lake cuz of all places it has 4G... (or anywhere for that matter).
Like previous poster said, radio on S3 is kinda weak, def notice drops in service just going in the basement for awhile. Not even the bionic had those probs. Hopefully it's easily tweakable with a software update similar to the gnex.

But overall def like the screen & performance of the S3 better than gf's Maxx. Plus, anxious to try out NFC tags & S3 is more likely to see an unlocked bootloader.

ちムち3-工535

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I kind of miss the hdmi out now, was able to stream Comcast easily on mirror mode out at the lake cuz of all places it has 4G... (or anywhere for that matter).
Like previous poster said, radio on S3 is kinda weak, def notice drops in service just going in the basement for awhile. Not even the bionic had those probs. Hopefully it's easily tweakable with a software update similar to the gnex.

But overall def like the screen & performance of the S3 better than gf's Maxx. Plus, anxious to try out NFC tags & S3 is more likely to see an unlocked bootloader.

ちムち3-工535

You can use the mhl adapter to get hdmi out. You will either need the gs3 specific one or the generic one with an adapter.

As for signal, I held the gs3 and maxx next to each other side by side at the store both on 4.04, and noticed that the gs3 signal was slightly better. Obviously, there are many factors that affect signal strength. In the store was a very strong signal since the tower was just down the street.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty