4g Do you leave it on or switch to 3g

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I am in a pretty good 4G area am just wondering do you think it would help alot on the battery if I switched to 3g to help save the battery?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It would help tremendously if you switched your phone to 3G. I have an extended life battery so I leave 4G on all day.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Grab the network toggle widget already on your phone and just shut off all data when you're not browsing the web, just turn it back on when you need it. I'm able to squeeze the battery to about 2 full days of light-moderate use with this strategy, and I can safely leave my charger at home when I'm at work.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
If Im not going to have access to a charger for a long time I switch it over to 3G or data off period. If I'm around town I don't worry about it.

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If Im not going to have access to a charger for a long time I switch it over to 3G or data off period. If I'm around town I don't worry about it.

Ditto for me. Sometimes I just grab my extra battery if I'm running low on juice and don't have time to charge up the phone.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I run 4G/GPS/full everything all day every day. I work in an office so there's always an outlet nearby. I usually charge once a day unless I'm really pushing it(streaming all day + email + text + browsing). Standard battery for weekdays and extended for weekends.

DRKayak

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
In Houston, TX so it is 4G everyday, all day. I carry a spare battery which I switch out everyday, but the connection speeds are sooooooooooooo worth it.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a great 4G coverage area (Hoboken/Jersey City/Newark) but i rarely keep 4G on. I have an extended battery but I don't really need 4G. Browsing the web is not that much faster vs 3G. Downloading is definitely much faster - but unless I am downloading large files, which is not often off of wifi, I dont need it then either. I'd rather just have a longer battery life - also 4G gets the phone noticeably hotter. It's burning much more juice.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine on all day but I usually have the luxury of having wifi access at work. I have no problems unplugging at 6am and lasting until 8-9pm. (Usually still have about 20%) I have moderate to heavy use. I'm religious about my charge cycles though. First 3-5 charges all go below 5% and then charge to 100%. I just started the extended battery. So far, it's incredible and I'm expecting more when I get 3-5 charge cycles.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Have recently always had mine and stil get 16+ hour days. I never use WiFi though unless I am running low on data or have big downloads.

4g is usually faster lol

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I leave mine on all day but I usually have the luxury of having wifi access at work. I have no problems unplugging at 6am and lasting until 8-9pm. (Usually still have about 20%) I have moderate to heavy use. I'm religious about my charge cycles though. First 3-5 charges all go below 5% and then charge to 100%. I just started the extended battery. So far, it's incredible and I'm expecting more when I get 3-5 charge cycles.

I guess I'll just leave it on. Just wanted to see what you all do.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Perfect timing for this post. I don't live in a 4G area, but I am not far from one. I have noticed the two days I spent in 4G that my battery life was horrible. I keep a spare battery with me (though I forgot it when I changed purses a few weeks ago) and a car charger. However, I noticed an incredible difference with 4G.

I was excited to get home and check out this forum for a 4G battery post. I am going to use the toggle switch on my Dazzle and switch 4G off when I don't need it ... like for instance a four hour period of being in a movie and then having a busy lunch.

Hey ... for one of the experts out here, do you think that over time improvements will be made to the network to improve battery life on LTE?

Thanks all again for the tips!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Perfect timing for this post. I don't live in a 4G area, but I am not far from one. I have noticed the two days I spent in 4G that my battery life was horrible. I keep a spare battery with me (though I forgot it when I changed purses a few weeks ago) and a car charger. However, I noticed an incredible difference with 4G.

I was excited to get home and check out this forum for a 4G battery post. I am going to use the toggle switch on my Dazzle and switch 4G off when I don't need it ... like for injstance a four hour period of being in a movie and then having a busy lunch.

Hey ... for one of the experts out here, do you think that over time improvements will be made to the network to improve battery life on LTE?

Thanks all again for the tips!

I'm no expert but the issue isn't the LTE network, per se. It's the LTE radios using the network. And, yes, I'm sure they'll be refined over time.

Reactions: skatergirl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699