Bump charge success

rlee1027

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if this bump method even works for this phone. anybody else having trouble with it? starting to get impatient wit this battery. today it lasted me a little less than 5 hours. -_-

dannyb884

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It has worked great for me. I did it yesterday and I got over 13 hours of moderate-heavy use, which was a huge improvement over what I was getting. Also, make sure that you go into the Blockbuster app (even if you didn't install it) and disable auto update. Huge difference.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
It works for me so far. I did it on Sunday and it has gotten better since then. Example today; unplugged it at 7:30 am after charging all night, browsed the web for a good 20 minutes, made a few phone calls, a LOT of texting back and forth with my wife and daughter talking about the Prince concert last night, checked email, looked up gas prices on GasBuddy app, checked the weather on the weather app. It's currently 3:16pm and I am at 63% battery left. I am happier today than I was last Friday.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
My stocker is still pretty bad. My fat bastard battery is the shiznit however.
I'm going to try and roll with my stocker all week to see if I can get it better.
If I can make it from morning until 9-10PM I'll call it good.

mhind52

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if this bump method even works for this phone. anybody else having trouble with it? starting to get impatient wit this battery. today it lasted me a little less than 5 hours. -_-

My battery lasted about 4 hours on Saturday :mad:. Lasted all of yesterday after bump charging :D.

Carbon Stig

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
What is bump charging? And how do i do it? Second day w the TB, after about y hours of moderate-heavy use, i'm about at about 30 percent.

rlee1027

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
seems to have worked for me. had to do it like 5 times tho

gave up after my fourth try :-\ (it was 2AM)

It works for me so far. I did it on Sunday and it has gotten better since then. Example today; unplugged it at 7:30 am after charging all night, browsed the web for a good 20 minutes, made a few phone calls, a LOT of texting back and forth with my wife and daughter talking about the Prince concert last night, checked email, looked up gas prices on GasBuddy app, checked the weather on the weather app. It's currently 3:16pm and I am at 63% battery left. I am happier today than I was last Friday.

WOW that sounds awesome. i need to get on that level. can u describe how u exactly did it? also. the initial charge:: does it have to be a minimum of 8 hours of charging?

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
What is and how do I Bump Charge?

I first heard about bump charging back in the early days of owning the Incredible. I read a thread starting with this post and decided it wasn't something I wanted to do. That's just me though, and I realize it's a popular thing to do. That said, here is how it's done:

1. Power up (if not already) and plug your TB into a power source. As the battery is being charged, the notification LED shows a solid orange light.
2. Wait until LED is solid green, indicating it is fully charged.
3. Unplug, press and hold the power button, and select the option to power off.
4. Once powered down reconnect power source.
5. The LED will show a solid orange light again, indicating it is charging.
6. Once it's green, unplug the TB and use the power button to power up up the TB.
7. Once Sense has loaded plug the phone back in again. You will notice that the LED is now orange again.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 process until the light is green immediately upon plugging it back in (approximately 3-4 times).

Chance

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
What is and how do I Bump Charge?

I first heard about bump charging back in the early days of owning the Incredible. I read a thread starting with this post and decided it wasn't something I wanted to do. That's just me though, and I realize it's a popular thing to do. That said, here is how it's done:

1. Power up (if not already) and plug your TB into a power source. As the battery is being charged, the notification LED shows a solid orange light.
2. Wait until LED is solid green, indicating it is fully charged.
3. Unplug, press and hold the power button, and select the option to power off.
4. Once powered down reconnect power source.
5. The LED will show a solid orange light again, indicating it is charging.
6. Once it's green, unplug the TB and use the power button to power up up the TB.
7. Once Sense has loaded plug the phone back in again. You will notice that the LED is now orange again.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 process until the light is green immediately upon plugging it back in (approximately 3-4 times).

I was looking for this to post it for people that don't know.

Great post!

jaguarpaw

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
bump charge... turn on phone charge untill light is green. unplug. wait a minute or two. turn off phone.. plug in and charge untill light is green. unplug. turn on. wait a minute or two. turn off and plug back in to charge until light is green.. repeat. i did it like 5 times.. now it charges and when i unplug its actually at 100%.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
WOW that sounds awesome. i need to get on that level. can u describe how u exactly did it? also. the initial charge:: does it have to be a minimum of 8 hours of charging?

I will find the link to the forum that had it posted, unless someone gets to before me. It was a process of plugging it with it on until the charge light turned green, then unplugging it and turning it off and plugging it back in until the light turns green, etc. etc. etc. It took my daughters about an hour total to do it.

EDIT: ^^^^^ and there it is.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It has worked great for me. I did it yesterday and I got over 13 hours of moderate-heavy use, which was a huge improvement over what I was getting. Also, make sure that you go into the Blockbuster app (even if you didn't install it) and disable auto update. Huge difference.

i cannot find that option n blockbuster app i cant find any settings once inside the app my battery been decent so far though i just got it yesterday at 4:00pm i've charged it twice both times bump charging i unplugged it this morning at 6:00am it's now 3:50pm and i'm at about 70% right now cant figure out how to display actual percentage though

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The easiest way is once they start selling an external battery charger you purchase that and cycle between 2 batteries. I did this with my Incredible and it worked great and you never need to power your phone down.

I haven't seen the drop in power like I did on my Incredible once I unplugged it it would drop 10% in a matter of minutes while my Thunderbolt seems to hold the charge much longer so I haven't seen the need to bump charge.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried it the other night, but after about 8 times and no instantly solid green light i had to give up and go to work. Seemed like the lightning bolt on start-up was constantly draining it just enough to not go right to green.

In the process of giving it another shot.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com

UPDATE if your interested. I had one more 5 minute phone call and a few more texts before leaving work, left work and started home with the navigator (because it's cool) but turned it off around 15 minutes into it because if traffic (not so cool any more), spent the last 15 minutes in traffic talking to my buddy who was right behind me in traffic, got in the house and talked another 10 minutes answering wifes questions on the phone. Currently sitting at 46%...looks like the GPS got me towards the end.

On my phone I have turned of the LTE using the Phone info app that is floating around this forum, turned of auto sync because things like email and my weather app can be updated when I click on them, screen brightness is at 25%. In the morning (5:30 am) after I let it charge up all night, I turn on the phone and give it a quick charge with the car charger while the phone is on on my way to work (usually 15-20 minute drive). Sometimes I will plug it in at lunch while I'm at the gym for 1.5 hrs but today I didn't to give it a test. I got home at 5:00pm with tht 46%. Today I am trying the wifi thing at home. I don't know if I'm doing it right but, I turned off my mobile network and turned on my wifi to see what happens.

Last edited:

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Here's the calibration technique I used. This was posted by SPD in THIS forum. Here's the technique:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but I used this calibration technique to help improve the battery when I had the EVO. Just did it on the Thunderbolt so we'll see how it goes today. Also, for those new to Android and HTC, you will notice the battery gets better after a few days-week as its had time to condition. Anyway try this out if you want. I guess it was recommended by HTC for the EVO.

This is a one-time only procedure.

Turn the Thunderbolt on and charge it for 8 hours.
Unplug it and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.
Unplug it and turn it on.
Wait 2 minutes and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.

Here's a variation of these instructions:

Turn the Thunderbolt on and charge it until the LED indicator turns green.
Unplug it and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge until the LED indicator turns green.
Unplug it and turn it on.
Once powered on completely, turn it off again.
Plug it back in and charge until the LED turns green.
Unplug it, turn it on, and use it normally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress