Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Default Re: [KERNEL][GB] GingerKernel v07.1 (NOW FOR THE OPTIMUS SLIDER!)

Im sorry this is probably not the best place for this but i cant send PM's yet and you had no info on GitHub so here it goes

Hi there, I stumbled upon your kernel on accident but im glad i did! I am also a kernel developer working on the optimus v vm670. My girlfriend own the slider though and im somewhat jealous of how snappy the thing is compared to my optimus v running ginger bread. Ive done alot of homework and these two phones are exactly the same except the software and the slider uses an msm7626T instead of an msm7626 chipset, the T version meaning turbo, obviously becuase it runs at 800mhz.

Anyways I have downloaded your rep and the the vm701 source from LG and im having the hardest time figuring out how to configure it. When i make menuconfig on either source tree, there is no ARM or MSM hardware options its all x86/amd stuff. I figured cloning your repo would have solved that problem. Im assuming i need the correct Android.mk or something for the options to show up? Id really appreciate any pointers on getting the config system for the kernel working properly. Thank you

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

can i include this into my rom so people get it during flashing?

ROM
    Stock

No. Make a link to it on your thread. Makes it easier for everyone

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

no it doesnt easier would be for me to include this in the rom before i bake it and just credit thoughs who worked on it! making ppl flash the rom then flash this is alot of flashing and not easier...

ROM
    Mobster ROM:Gingerkernel

I don't see why adding it would hurt anything. It's stable, not to mention the ONLY kernel for the Slider at the moment, it shouldn't do much harm to include it. Just be sure to give thanks to Drew in the post and link to this kernel thread saying "Thanks to Drew for making the Gingerkernel" or something. That way you're linking the kernel source and giving thanks/credit at the same time.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post

[INFO]ROM Developers:

Rather than include GingerKernel in your ROM, please direct your users to this thread so they have the chance to thank or donate to me for my time and effort![/INFO]
    [/LEFT][/INDENT]
    there

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

i would really like to see input from Drewwalton himself...

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie407
    hi there i was just wondering if you had any issues with me including ginger kernel into AreaSlider aka [AreaRom] its a new and upcoming rom for the slider and i want it to be the best rom it can be!
    I personally prefer a link to the kernel thread (as opposed to including it directly) but since it is GPL software, you may use it as you wish. Just make sure to give proper credit as well as a direct link to the source repository.
    BOOM!
    brian117 and eddie298 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxcastle View Post
    im trying to use this on my slider, i get into recover but this is what i get when trying to apply this.

E:Cant update using GingerKernal-VM701-v07.1-sigmed.zip
    i am having this same issue. do i need to root the phone first?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rookie407 View Post
    BOOM!
    Still says to make a link

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by majrdonkeypunch View Post
    i am having this same issue. do i need to root the phone first?
    you dont have to have root to implement this but you do have to have ClockWorkMod! now the thing with that is you have to have root to get ClockWorkMod so i would have to say yes you need to be prerooted to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by rookie407 View Post
    BOOM!
    Lol you made me laugh, i was hoping you'd win :P.

Anyways, i was trying to find the change log but i couldn't find it after clicking that link. Is it much better then the stock? and is there a way to return to stock without having to reflash a stock rom or something?

I'm pretty paranoid with this phone after seeing how many people brick it.. i came from an intercept and no matter what i did to that thing i could ALWAYS unbrick it. so its a big change for me.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

Its hard to brick these lg's... idk how ppl are doing it. I've flashed all kinds of crap.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

the only thing i've seen brick a phone from flashing is a radio or a bootloader. luckily there arent any of those available for these two phones.

If you use the software update on a stock rooted rom, you could get a brick that way. If anyone can figure out how to get these phones to boot into fastboot without erasing the boot.img i've found that you can boot a recovery from fastboot quite easily. Just need the button combo to boot into fastboot and then i can post how to use fastboot for anyone who wants it.

so far the only way to enter fastboot mode that i know of is to boot into clockwork mod recovery, go to mounts and storage and format the boot partition. reboot and you have fastboot mode.

I know you can boot images from fastboot, not sure about flashing them as of yet. testing that out tonight

umm, so could anyone link me to the changelog? i still can't find it and would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie298 View Post
    umm, so could anyone link me to the changelog? i still can't find it and would greatly appreciate it, thanks.
    Its in the very first post. The github commit history. It says the source is official LG (links to it) then links to his commits.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by:

So if i decided i wanted to go back to the stock kernel, would i have to reflash stock rom or my nand backup? i never flashed a custom rom after rooting.

ROM
    Mobster ROM:Gingerkernel

Quote Originally Posted by eddie298 View Post
    So if i decided i wanted to go back to the stock kernel, would i have to reflash stock rom or my nand backup? i never flashed a custom rom after rooting.
    You can do either one.
    Thanked by:

Amazing. Internal memory freed up; overall speed much faster. No ugly Virgin Mobile at boot.

ROM
    Team Hydro/GingerKernel

do you still plan on releasing building instructions for the kernel?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by raymix1000 View Post
    do you still plan on releasing building instructions for the kernel?
    Crap. I totally forgot I released this thing. Yes I will put up building instructions as soon as I can. It's a little tricky because LG did some uncool things in their kernel setup for the Slider.

Been using this for about 6 months now, and it's been great! Only question - how does one go about enabling undervolting? Are there settings we can change or is it just not written into this kernel?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by crazyates View Post
    Been using this for about 6 months now, and it's been great! Only question - how does one go about enabling undervolting? Are there settings we can change or is it just not written into this kernel?
    The msm7627T cannot be undervolted at a stable level. Not to mention the acpuclock code doesn't even support it.

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaRomQ v2.0

We watched a precedent on the same processor literally come unseated from the board when the voltages were messed with in overclocking tests. Resulted in a brick obviously. I'm curious as to why this processor is running stable in the 944mhz range on other devices. Yet the gelato series (vm701 and l55c, l45c, as681 (I think *optimus two l45c unbranded*)) aren't able to be pushed much further than the 850mhz range. I still have a lot more to learn.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jcole20 View Post
    We watched a precedent on the same processor literally come unseated from the board when the voltages were messed with in overclocking tests. Resulted in a brick obviously. I'm curious as to why this processor is running stable in the 944mhz range on other devices. Yet the gelato series (vm701 and l55c, l45c, as681 (I think *optimus two l45c unbranded*)) aren't able to be pushed much further than the 850mhz range. I still have a lot more to learn.

Being a computer builder and such more goes into it than just the CPU.

It has to do with cooling, delivery of power from Power Supply, the amperage also has to even out with the voltage to meet the wattage spec, sometimes the motherboard only has a certain limit to what it can process.

Its many different things really... Im just scratching the surface...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast