[KERNEL][GB] GingerKernel v07.1 (NOW FOR THE OPTIMUS SLIDER!)

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

GingerKernel.gif

GingerKernel 2.6.35.7 v07.1

A Gingerbread kernel based on official LG source

[INFO]This kernel will NOT allow you to overclock. The Optimus Slider is running at pretty much the maximum stable speed, and our attempts at overclocking have resulted in boot crashes. While the CPU in the Optimus Slider theoretically can be overclocked, it would only safely be by about 50 MHz or so.[/INFO]
[INFO]ROM Developers:

Rather than include GingerKernel in your ROM, please direct your users to this thread so they have the chance to thank or donate to me for my time and effort![/INFO]

Changelog:
Changes in v07.1
1) See the full changelog below.

The full changelog can be found here: https://github.com/drewwalton19216801/GingerKernel-VM701-2.6.35/commits/master

Download:
Download Here (v07.1)

Installation:
1) Download kernel ZIP
2) Place ZIP on root of sd card
3) Reboot to recovery mode
4) Flash kernel ZIP as you would a ROM (don't need to wipe anything)
5) PROFIT!

Sources:
My Github Repositories
My GingerKernel Repository

Building Instructions (NOT FOR NOOBS):
COMING SOON!

Donations:

If you like this, please consider a donation.
If not, hit that THANKS button for me!

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Any specific advantages to this kernel compared to the stock one?

1) Hopefully better battery life
2) A few more FPS in games
3) A huge LowMemoryKiller patch, which should result in more battery life and lower memory usage
4) A jhash update for a small speed boost
5) The build is more optimized at the compiler level than LG's stock configuration
6) The Simple I/O scheduler for another small speed boost
7) It makes Your Mom scream (no really, Your Mom ROM for the Optimus S screams when using GingerKernel!) :cool:

Reactions: charkswitlazers

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Man Drew I'm really digging the InteractiveX gov in this kernel! I'm always a fan of interactive, or modified interactive based, governors to begin with. This is my first time checking out InteractiveX and i really dig it.

For those who didn't know about this gov like me, I did some reading and learned lmoseyon used a suspend code while screen off + interactive gov to create a new gov which gives high performance while in use but saves battery in idle (think setcpu screen off profile or smartass gov). Very nice addition to the Optimus Slider scene.

ckpcw

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Running great here with the SmartassV2 governor enabled (via SetCPU)

Snappy, no "wake-up lag" incidents yet, battery is looking better than before, but I still need time to evaluate battery life.

Thanks for this drew!

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying your kernel caused this, but after I installed this, I lost the ability to play Diversion and DOSBox and PDANet doesn't seem to be working either. I tried restoring my boot image from custom recovery with no positive results. Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not saying your kernel caused this, but after I installed this, I lost the ability to play Diversion and DOSBox and PDANet doesn't seem to be working either. I tried restoring my boot image from custom recovery with no positive results. Thoughts?

You should be careful messing with boot.img because there are also modules involved. It's not just the boot.img. If you want to return to the stock boot.img and associated modules, reflash the ROM overtop of its'self. This is called a "dirty flash". These come in handy when your testing something like themes or kernels and decide you want to go back, just flash your ROM overtop.

Also, is the only thing that changed in between these things working and not working was flashing this kernel? Did you make any other changes/flashes/modifications? Can you provide a little more clarification to the below statements?

I lost the ability to play Diversion - What do you mean lost? Do you get a specific error or anything notable?
DOSBox - Same as above. Please provide details and feel free to be descriptive as possible.
PDANet doesn't seem to be working either - What do you mean it isnt working. The app won't launch on your phone? Everything appears to work but an IP is never assigned?

Every little detail helps.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Can I flash this over the Team Hydro's Rom or no?

Heck yeah! In fact, i recommend using it with that ROM over the stock kernel included with the ROM. This kernel is 100x's better than LG's source. The only reason i don't bundle it with the ROM is i'd like to ensure Drew get's his proper thanks and (hopefully) donations ;)

Reactions: mr.faceman23

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I posted from my phone, I'll try to be a little more detailed :p

Diversion was fully-functional before: It was slow to load up, granted, but the 3D graphics worked. Now the logo flashes and then I get booted back to the Home screen.

DOSBox showed the logo, then stopped on a black screen where nothing rendered -- the menu was available, but the "screen" itself became totally blank.

PDANet was an odd bird -- it would claim both sides had connected, but trying to ping a website would yield an error, usually in DNS translation alone. Even when an address could be translated into an IP(?) it wouldn't be able to ping data from there.

I also lost the ability to ADB shell to the device. Tried to restart the phone to gain access, no cigar. It said something along the lines of "connection closed". The device is there, I just cannot shell to it.

Whether this was the result of your ROM or the new kernel, I am not totally sure, because I hadn't tried all of the above in between installs, but they WERE a couple days apart (the 17th is when I installed the ROM last, the 19th is when I downloaded and installed the kernel). And none of those problems manifested themselves between those two points. And yeah, I probably would have noticed the PDANet/ADB issue... I do a lot of stuff with that >.>

Otherwise I've been a lazy pile and attempted no modding. I restored a pseudo-stock backup I had made earlier, and the wireless tether at least works on it (typing here aren't I?) so that's all I know for now... need sleep.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
One quick way to exclude or include the kernel for troubleshooting purposes is to do a dirty flash of the current build of 11-17 ROM that's already on your SD card. No wipes, just flash over top. This replaces everything back to the stock build before you flashed a kernel. Then test those things. If they work, flash the kernel and test again.

EDIT - 1 more thing. Before you do any of the above ensure all the apps are installed to the phone and not the SD card. This can be checked at Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications then click on the 3 apps individually. If there is a button that says "move to phone" press it to move the app back to internal storage. If there is a button that offers you to move to SD, don't press it. If neither button is available, the app cannot be moved to sdcard so it's fine.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible to make a backup of just the kernel? In case I want to switch back.
Or maybe the stock kernel could be posted in the future? :)

Want stock kernel, dirty flash rom. No wipe, just flash. Want drew's kernel, dirty flash kernel over rom. No wipe, just flash. On and on. You could do this pattern over and over and not lose any data.

ckpcw

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is significanly improved. 2 days, no charge, light usage -> 57% battery left. Amazing, not to mention the phone's running great. Thanks again drew