Can't force new WiFi not to autoconnect

hedera

May 17, 2011
Visit site
This just started a few days ago. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone running Android 11. We have a home network with good strong WiFi called RingIvy86. The other day a new WiFi appeared called Go Bears, and I cannot force my phone not to auto-connect to it. It's not even as strong as our WiFi, but it constantly forces the RingIvy86 connection to turn off. I've tried 3 times today to turn auto-connect off for the damn thing, and every time I check again it's on. This is preventing me from listening to TuneIn Radio because it keeps shutting down the RingIvy86 connection to connect to Go Bears, which isn't strong enough to pick up the signal. I tried deleting Go Bears from the available list, didn't work. I tried turning it off and rebooting the phone, worked for a day, and now it's back.

Anyone got any good suggestions? I've asked who owns Go Bears on NextDoor and no one responded.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure -- you went to Settings>Connections, tapped Wi-fi, then Menu>Advanced>Manage Networks, then selected Go Bears, then tapped Forget at the bottom?

If so, then try also turning off the Hotspot 2.0 toggle.

hedera

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I went there, selected it and deleted it (I don't remember a "forget"), but it came back. I should have mentioned that it is password protected and I don't have the password. Based on where it's strongest, I think it may belong to my neighbors. I may just have to ask for the password. The crazy thing is, turning off auto-connect and immediately rebooting the phone has worked, it doesn't show right now. It's only strong on one side of the house.

I just found the Hotspot 2.0 toggle and it was on; I've turned it off. Thanks for the suggestion.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume "delete" is the same as "forget," but just in case, try the steps I described where you see the "Forget" option at the bottom.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
This just started a few days ago. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone running Android 11. We have a home network with good strong WiFi called RingIvy86. The other day a new WiFi appeared called Go Bears, and I cannot force my phone not to auto-connect to it. It's not even as strong as our WiFi, but it constantly forces the RingIvy86 connection to turn off. I've tried 3 times today to turn auto-connect off for the damn thing, and every time I check again it's on. This is preventing me from listening to TuneIn Radio because it keeps shutting down the RingIvy86 connection to connect to Go Bears, which isn't strong enough to pick up the signal. I tried deleting Go Bears from the available list, didn't work. I tried turning it off and rebooting the phone, worked for a day, and now it's back.

Anyone got any good suggestions? I've asked who owns Go Bears on NextDoor and no one responded.

Wait, if you don't know who gobear wifi belongs to, how is it that you're able to connect without the password? You mean to tell me that there is a wifi connection in your neighborhood that doesn't have any security? Something doesn't sound right.

Edit: It's my bad, now that I have read your second post, so excuse my post above, I have too much caffeine when I write the above. Hope you found the solution.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez