When will hcomb become more practical?

kylef231

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Im a huge android advocate, and very new to these forums. A question that been on my mind is: when the heck will hcomb become more then a huge phone?

Android 3.0 is pretty cool, but I dont see it developing into anything too useful until hopefully Q4 this year at the soonest. The number of hcomb apps is depressing low, and the price on android based tablets are rather high not to mention that a fair amount of android tablets arent even hcomb.

I guess what I'm getting at is: for any current tablet owner, what are you getting out of your hcomb tablet that you cant get from your android phone aside from a larger screen? My phones internal memory is 16gb, and most tablets only go up to 32gb internal drives. For the price of tablets, I want a lot more...

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
In my opinion, most people have no need for a tablet. It is not meant to replace a smart phone, but to supplement it. For my job, I have to go into the field about 20% of my work week, and a tablet is way more portable than a laptop, plus the battery life is much better than my laptop. I need to be able to edit documents on the go, and be able to show them to the foreman on a screen large enough for him to read. As far as storage goes, everything I use for work is cloud based, and at home I have a server to stream any media I want to play on my phone or tab. I think I have used less than 1gb of memory on my tab.

Honeycomb is a great os, it has made me want ice cream sandwich on my phone real bad! I'm running the Overcome rom on my galaxy tab, and this thing flies! It's only going to get better since it's using the stock kernel, for now.

For me, my tab has replaced my laptop, and bridged the gap between my desktop and phone. I really think these are niche devices, and most people won't view them as a necessary expense, especially at $500+. hth

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Bryan. The tablet isn't for everyone and does have a place in mobile technology. I've had mine for over a week and it is great.

kylef231

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, most people have no need for a tablet. It is not meant to replace a smart phone, but to supplement it. For my job, I have to go into the field about 20% of my work week, and a tablet is way more portable than a laptop, plus the battery life is much better than my laptop. I need to be able to edit documents on the go, and be able to show them to the foreman on a screen large enough for him to read. As far as storage goes, everything I use for work is cloud based, and at home I have a server to stream any media I want to play on my phone or tab. I think I have used less than 1gb of memory on my tab.

Honeycomb is a great os, it has made me want ice cream sandwich on my phone real bad! I'm running the Overcome rom on my galaxy tab, and this thing flies! It's only going to get better since it's using the stock kernel, for now.

For me, my tab has replaced my laptop, and bridged the gap between my desktop and phone. I really think these are niche devices, and most people won't view them as a necessary expense, especially at $500+. hth

I suppose in the end, thats the kind of post I was looking for haha. I guess Ill just have to wait till I can find a reason to snag one for school.