No More Silent Mode

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Just used this bug myself to get an alarm, but stop all other notifications. (I was unable to stop facebook and messenger notifications from vibrating).

You mean Facebook and Facebook Mesenger don't honour the priority mode? Yet another reason to not use Facebook...

[EDIT] I actually installed Facebook Messenger and tested it in the priority mode. As expected, it did not vibrate or make a sound. So in my environment, it is working.

Last edited:

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why they axed the silent mode. I just did some testing with WhatsApp and with Priority mode on + sound, my phone still vibrates and audibly notifies. With priority mode on and vibrate only, my messages come through but there is no vibration nor any sound (i.e. silent mode). So instead of just holding down the volume down button to get to a silent mode, I have to hold it down + get it into Priority to get it into silent mode? This seems a little counter-intuitive to me as priority mode is supposed to only let certain notifications come through, and I have everything turned off.

Though from the above, it sounds like it might be a glitch? I had assumed priority mode meant that no notifications will get through (messages will still arrive in silent mode, but no vibrate or sound, no matter what mode is selected)?

I always simply switch my phone to silent mode before bed so nothing comes through except for my alarm until....well, my alarm. Now I guess I'll have to put it in priority and turn the volume all the way down...?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Though from the above, it sounds like it might be a glitch? I had assumed priority mode meant that no notifications will get through (messages will still arrive in silent mode, but no vibrate or sound, no matter what mode is selected)?

That's what the priority mode does. Messages will still show up, but no vibrate or sound, except for the priority messages.

I simply schedule the priority mode between 22:30 and 6:30 on weekdays. I don't touch volume at all. My alarm wakes me up just fine, and nothing else is audible (unless, of course, someone in my starred contact calls me in the middle of the night).

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why they axed the silent mode. I just did some testing with WhatsApp and with Priority mode on + sound, my phone still vibrates and audibly notifies. With priority mode on and vibrate only, my messages come through but there is no vibration nor any sound (i.e. silent mode). So instead of just holding down the volume down button to get to a silent mode, I have to hold it down + get it into Priority to get it into silent mode? This seems a little counter-intuitive to me as priority mode is supposed to only let certain notifications come through, and I have everything turned off.

I always simply switch my phone to silent mode before bed so nothing comes through except for my alarm until....well, my alarm. Now I guess I'll have to put it in priority and turn the volume all the way down...?

The user above this post described priority mode. If you have nothing turned "on" in priory no app will make a sound, so it is a fake silent. If you turn apps "on" then only those apps will make a noise. You will still get all of your notifications, but the only ones that will sound are the ones you have chosen.

That works great if you have not intention of using priority mode at night, but if you do want use priority at night you will need to turn apps on and off during the night/day to achieve silent during the day and only certain sounds at night.

If you set the phone to "none" no notifications sound or even display. You have to physically open the apps.

I still think the best way to get silent right now is lowering the volume to a level of "1" and then rebooting the device. It boots back up in a totally silent state.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
That works great if you have not intention of using priority mode at night, but if you do want use priority at night you will need to turn apps on and off during the night/day to achieve silent during the day and only certain sounds at night.

The priority mode works very well for me at night since I don't have any extra apps turned on as priority. Calls from my mom (who is in my starred contact list) still wake me up, and that's exactly what I want because it may very well be an urgent situation if she calls me in the middle of the night. If you want it to work like a "true" silent mode, you can choose "None" instead of "Priority."

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
That's what the priority mode does. Messages will still show up, but no vibrate or sound, except for the priority messages.

I simply schedule the priority mode between 22:30 and 6:30 on weekdays. I don't touch volume at all. My alarm wakes me up just fine, and nothing else is audible (unless, of course, someone in my starred contact calls me in the middle of the night).

The user above this post described priority mode. If you have nothing turned "on" in priory no app will make a sound, so it is a fake silent. If you turn apps "on" then only those apps will make a noise. You will still get all of your notifications, but the only ones that will sound are the ones you have chosen.

If you set the phone to "none" no notifications sound or even display. You have to physically open the apps.

I still think the best way to get silent right now is lowering the volume to a level of "1" and then rebooting the device. It boots back up in a totally silent state.

That was my understanding too. Where my confusion comes into play is when the setting is on "all" with everything else also on (vibrate + sound), everything comes through, as intended. While the vibrate + sound is on, and I switch it to "priority", both vibrations and sounds still come through (i.e. no change). Only when I set my phone to vibrate + priority will the "silent mode" come on, and only notifications come through without any vibration or sound.

I have everything set up as "off" for priority, so only my alarm goes off for anything aforementioned.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
That was my understanding too. Where my confusion comes into play is when the setting is on "all" with everything else also on (vibrate + sound), everything comes through, as intended. While the vibrate + sound is on, and I switch it to "priority", both vibrations and sounds still come through (i.e. no change). Only when I set my phone to vibrate + priority will the "silent mode" come on, and only notifications come through without any vibration or sound.

I have everything set up as "off" for priority, so only my alarm goes off for anything aforementioned.

In the priority mode, only the notifications you specify as priority should make a sound and/or vibrate. If your alarm is the only priority event, then nothing else should be audible in the priority mode.

I've read somewhere that WhatsApp somehow doesn't honour the priority mode, and they have released a fix for it. I'm not aware of any other apps that may have a similar issue. For me, everything works as intended.

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

In the priority mode, only the notifications you specify as priority should make a sound and/or vibrate. If your alarm is the only priority event, then nothing else should be audible in the priority mode.

I've read somewhere that WhatsApp somehow doesn't honour the priority mode, and they have released a fix for it. I'm not aware of any other apps that may have a similar issue. For me, everything works as intended.

Ah I see, interesting, I haven't tested the feature with any other notifications (though I vaguely remember BBM coming through...but I could be wrong). That makes a bit more sense then as it was WhatsApp notifications that were coming through :)

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The priority mode works very well for me at night since I don't have any extra apps turned on as priority. Calls from my mom (who is in my starred contact list) still wake me up, and that's exactly what I want because it may very well be an urgent situation if she calls me in the middle of the night. If you want it to work like a "true" silent mode, you can choose "None" instead of "Priority."

None stops notifications from notifying you at all. You have to open the app to view them. Way different than silent.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
None stops notifications from notifying you at all. You have to open the app to view them. Way different than silent.

That's what I meant by "true silent mode," rather than the old silent mode available in the older version of Android. The Priority mode can do what the old silent mode did. You just have to make everything non-priority. Alarms will still go off, but so did they in the old silent mode.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's what I meant by "true silent mode," rather than the old silent mode available in the older version of Android. The Priority mode can do what the old silent mode did. You just have to make everything non-priority. Alarms will still go off, but so did they in the old silent mode.

Ah gotcha. I hate vibrate, but cannot have my phone making noises all day. I miss just regular old silent mode. 5.0.1 better have it. It may sound silly, but it would actually be a deal breaker.

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I hate that they axed this feature too. How about putting the phone on airplane mode? The only notification that would vibrate and make a noise would be the alarm if one is set correct? For me personally that's all I want to hear in the morning. I don't want to be woken up by random emails or whatever. That's the only workaround I see right now.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes, that's how it works. It isn't exactly the same as silent mode, but as for how I used it, it's the same.

You still SEE the notifications - they just don't make any noise or vibrate.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's how it works. It isn't exactly the same as silent mode, but as for how I used it, it's the same.

You still SEE the notifications - they just don't make any noise or vibrate.

Yeah, the way I use the priority mode, it works very well for me, too. The only thing they could add is for each app to control the messages / events to come through in the priority mode. For instance, if I set LINE (one of the messenger apps) to priority now, all messages on the app will come through in the priority mode. Rather, I want only the messages from particular users to. The feature may already be available in the SDK. I sure hope so. :)

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
So in priority mode you could cancel all notifications but still set an alarm to wake you in the morning?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes! You can set the priority mode to last only for a certain duration.

And btw Y'all, the the silent mode is activated by pressing the volume button then click on the bell icon. Voila... Silent mode. You can activate 'silent' in any notification mode: be it none, priority, or all.

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I just created a thread and did not see this one.

That does not work. Priority effects what will send you a notification and what will not. If the app is a priority, it will make a noise. If the app is not a priority, it will not alert you of a notification at all. You would have to actually open the app.

Silent mode was a way to still have notifications come through, but they would not vibrate or make a noise. There is no way to do this in lollipop.

Press the volume button (up or down), click the bell icon 🔔. That's silent on every mode, be it none, priority, or all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa