What Droid App Is Missing?

MsRed

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I think I've posted this previously in a similar thread. I want a wine review app that incorporates the barcode scanner. After scanning the UPC on the bottle, it would then pull up reviews from commonly used sites like Wine Spectator, Snooth, Cellar Tracker, etc. If it had 'save' feature to add the wine to a list for later purchase, that would be a bonus.

mynetdude

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It is not possible to create a screenshot app that runs on an unrooted phone...we have tried a ton of angles there.....we just updated the auto notification app to also eliminate the LED as well....we also dropped the price...

We also just released:

Application Speed Loader for Android

That is free....we have about 5 more apps in development

I am not horribly concerned about the warranty if my phone goes borked after rooting, which is why I haven't rooted yet because I just got my phone a couple weeks ago now if we were talking about a year or more then it wouldn't matter to me.

That is not the main reason why I have not rooted, its all about time and effort. I cannot believe Google being as opensource as it claims has put limitations to screenshots without rooting there are other phones such as blackberry that can do this without being rooted or hacked.

I have a friend who has a non jailbroken phone who can do screenshots too, Google thinks its a security risk? Perhaps it is, the users need to decide for themselves what risks they want to take. You can install 3rd party keyboards, those come with warnings that they can keylog and that I should make sure that the kb I am installing is from a trusted source.

I am really going to consider Android next time and maybe jailbreak an iPhone instead of Android when I want another phone next year because I simply refuse to use AT&T Google doesn't need my business if it limits the fact I can't share what's on my screen without having to root.

ThinkingDroid

Banned
Aug 17, 2010
www.ThinkingDroid.com
There are tons of apps out there....hence, there is not one for unrooted Android phones....that should tell you something...I can assure you that the many talented programmers would have that app out there if it was possible.

That being said, there are not nearly as many limitations as the iPhone...IMO, iPhone is 5-6 years away from being extinct...unless they develop something that people really can't get on the Android....you would think Apple would have learned from the whole Mac vs. PC disaster...

johnnyappleseed

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone wanting to take screenshots without rooting should try ShootMe from the Market. It says you need to be rooted but works with many phones just fine without root.

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have 1 screen set aside for folders, I got tired of flipping through the list.

Using adw I have dropped my homescreens down to 3 and am more interested in eye candy to show off my beautiful screen and the pure capability of Android as a whole like many other users I'm sure. I would rather stay away from folders as even the crappy iPhone can do that now lol.
If any of you have seen samsungs UI overlay on there s60 powered omnia hd (i8910) you will see what I'm getting at.
That's what smart taskbar SHOULD be.

Last edited:

dharr18

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
For me, Cisco compatible VPN client. I don't want to use a custom ROM to connect into my work VPN concentrator.

rltripp

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think that there is an untapped market in the medical field. A simple DICOM viewer, similar to Osirix on iPhone and iPad, would be extremely valuable for emergency room physicians and radiologist across the world. Right now the only decent solutions for this only run on Apple products.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I think that there is an untapped market in the medical field. A simple DICOM viewer, similar to Osirix on iPhone and iPad, would be extremely valuable for emergency room physicians and radiologist across the world. Right now the only decent solutions for this only run on Apple products.
Agreed. Look at all the medical based apps available for the iPhone. This is indeed a largely untapped market

AbeFrohman

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
email app

I've read through all 10 pages and the various email app suggestions. I'll throw my two cents in.

What is with the lack of spell-check in android? I know - predictive text and multiple keyboards... but we all make mistakes from time to time. For business users that are blackberry converts, the ability to spell check before hiring send was a great feature. Can this not be integrated in an email app? !?

In my fantasy email app - the delete from phone or from phone and server option on the blackberry was awesome. Something you need to save, by don't want to clutter your inbox? Delete from phone only. Don't need it at all? Delete from both. That feature doesn't exist in android. Yes, k9 and droidmail have the delete from phone only setting, but not the option per individual email.

Search function within email would be great.

You build this and you'll have a winner. Just add spell check and it'll make a killing on the market. I am still floored it isn't part of the native email app.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There are tons of apps out there....hence, there is not one for unrooted Android phones....that should tell you something...I can assure you that the many talented programmers would have that app out there if it was possible...

I absolutely believe you, I just remain disappointed. Thanks for taking a look at it.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android (used Blackberry for many years). I searched for this, but couldn't find an answer: Can an Android phone (Vibrant, in my case) be used as a modem? Thanks!

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you on the spell check. The TP2 had it built in and we had the option of purchasing an add-on that added bunches more, which I did. Swype does have a built-in speller for those of us waiting to go with it.

I've read through all 10 pages and the various email app suggestions. I'll throw my two cents in.

What is with the lack of spell-check in android? I know - predictive text and multiple keyboards... but we all make mistakes from time to time. For business users that are blackberry converts, the ability to spell check before hiring send was a great feature. Can this not be integrated in an email app? !?

In my fantasy email app - the delete from phone or from phone and server option on the blackberry was awesome. Something you need to save, by don't want to clutter your inbox? Delete from phone only. Don't need it at all? Delete from both. That feature doesn't exist in android. Yes, k9 and droidmail have the delete from phone only setting, but not the option per individual email.

Search function within email would be great.

You build this and you'll have a winner. Just add spell check and it'll make a killing on the market. I am still floored it isn't part of the native email app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa