Beautiful Widgets

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Anyone able to restore their backup of the old version after updating to the new version? I would like to try out the update, but rollback if I don't like it. I backed it up using Astro.

I was wondering that, too. The disclaimer on the update makes me think probably not.

ryno2292

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Anyone able to restore their backup of the old version after updating to the new version? I would like to try out the update, but rollback if I don't like it. I backed it up using Astro.

As long as you have the flip clock version backed up somewhere I don't see why you couldn't restore it.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
No offense, butthere is a difference in making people happy and releasing a downgraded product.

It was not the devs choice to remove it... you had a choice not to upgrade if you liked the previous version or back up old version and put it back*. Would you rather of had him remove it completely and not try something new? Because those were his only two options... I don't know about you but I appreciate the effort he is putting into making something good out of a bad situation.

The dev is also considering the ability to theme it how you'd like it as long as it's not like the Sense UI which the dev will not touch.

(*Which should be possible if you had a backup. If you updated remove the app and then restore from your sd card.)

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I certainly appreciate the effort, but not so much that I'm going to pretend the new design isn't a step back from the previous one. It seems to me that he was in such a hurry to get it back up and running that he didn't consider some of the options at his disposal. The final product was very similar to his first revisions.

As soon as the widget is theme-able, or has a nicer UI, I will gladly upgrade. The dev does great work, and is very responsive -- I appreciate that, I just don't like the new design.

Having said that -- I would be interested in checking it out on my device, but would really like to see someone post verifying they actually upgraded, and then rolled back (as opposed to saying that we *should* be able to). As it would shtink to upgrade, not like it, and be stuck with it.

brendanb

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
No offense, butthere is a difference in making people happy and releasing a downgraded product.

No offense to you either, but you're being a jerk. This dev is just one person trying to rebuild his app after he was told he had to change it completely or else face legal action. He has a life outside of making your pretty widget. He's a human being for God's sake.

I appreciate the fact that he decided to continue developing this app and that he hasn't given up. While it isn't the most amazing thing I've seen in my life at this point, he also isn't finished and will also be adding skin support in. So chill and get over yourself.

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No offense to you either, but you're being a jerk. This dev is just one person trying to rebuild his app after he was told he had to change it completely or else face legal action. He has a life outside of making your pretty widget. He's a human being for God's sake.

I appreciate the fact that he decided to continue developing this app and that he hasn't given up. While it isn't the most amazing thing I've seen in my life at this point, he also isn't finished and will also be adding skin support in. So chill and get over yourself.

With all due respect -- he is charging for this application. When you are charging for a service (or application in this case), you have an obligation to the people who have paid you for it. This app is shown in the market as having more than 10,000 and potentially as many as 50,000 downloads.. I imagine he has made a pretty penny off of it. I don't recall how much it cost, but I'm sure it was at least $0.99.

I don't think anyone, myself included, is trying to be a jerk. It appears some folks just like the original design, and will hold off on upgrading until he solidifies new UI/Skinning. I don't think it has anything to do with appreciating the guys' hard work or not.

Would folks really have been that upset if he had left it off the market for a week or so while he came up with a more cohesive UI, rather than scrambling to come up with something in two days?

brendanb

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
With all due respect -- he is charging for this application. When you are charging for a service (or application in this case), you have an obligation to the people who have paid you for it. This app is shown in the market as having more than 10,000 and potentially as many as 50,000 downloads.. I imagine he has made a pretty penny off of it. I don't recall how much it cost, but I'm sure it was at least $0.99.

I don't think anyone, myself included, is trying to be a jerk. It appears some folks just like the original design, and will hold off on upgrading until he solidifies new UI/Skinning. I don't think it has anything to do with appreciating the guys' hard work or not.

Would folks really have been that upset if he had left it off the market for a week or so while he came up with a more cohesive UI, rather than scrambling to come up with something in two days?

Having bought this product, I actually appreciate the fact that he came out with something as quick as he did; it's a message that he's dedicated to his product and trying his best to provide for those who bought it. You can't assume that everyone who did buy his app would have preferred waiting a week for a new release when it's not true.

I'm not saying it's wrong to hold off for the next release (it's like saying you'll hold off on a new Windows release until the put out the first service pack), but I don't appreciate it when someone says the dev released a downgraded product after he's been doing his best to make it.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't think he should have ever charged for it in the first place. The SMS widget was anemic, the clock wasn't very good, and none of these widgets really had any animations.

Imho the price he was charging was outrageous. Moreso, now that he has been shut down the price you guys paid for an unsupported app really was foolish. He should not have charged anything because he was just cashing in on HTC's IP. He should have been shut down, and it was extremely foolish for any of you to have paid for it.

R

Roy Aguilera

Its actually a win, win situation. Back the old one on your SD card
Download the new version, try it, if its not for you, reinstall the previous version. If not keep it.

ryno2292

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I certainly appreciate the effort, but not so much that I'm going to pretend the new design isn't a step back from the previous one. It seems to me that he was in such a hurry to get it back up and running that he didn't consider some of the options at his disposal. The final product was very similar to his first revisions.

As soon as the widget is theme-able, or has a nicer UI, I will gladly upgrade. The dev does great work, and is very responsive -- I appreciate that, I just don't like the new design.

Having said that -- I would be interested in checking it out on my device, but would really like to see someone post verifying they actually upgraded, and then rolled back (as opposed to saying that we *should* be able to). As it would shtink to upgrade, not like it, and be stuck with it.
No problem rolling it back, took me all of 6 minutes, or so the clock says, seemed quicker than that haha. Just make sure you have the original backed up.

23189647.png

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I don't think he should have ever charged for it in the first place. The SMS widget was anemic, the clock wasn't very good, and none of these widgets really had any animations.

Imho the price he was charging was outrageous. Moreso, now that he has been shut down the price you guys paid for an unsupported app really was foolish. He should not have charged anything because he was just cashing in on HTC's IP. He should have been shut down, and it was extremely foolish for any of you to have paid for it.

It's fine and dandy that you wouldn't pay for the widgets, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth it to all the people who actually paid the buck or two for it... one more time, a buck or two... :rolleyes:

Unsupported? How do you figure? The dev constantly pushed out updates and instead of just walking away he is still working on improving a new version. What more do you want?

Don't come into this thread and insult any of the members who paid for the app by calling them foolish.

Its actually a win, win situation. Back the old one on your SD card
Download the new version, try it, if its not for you, reinstall the previous version. If not keep it.

Exactly, it's not that difficult. I really don't understand what all of the fuss is about.

Shinsei

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It's fine and dandy that you wouldn't pay for the widgets, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth it to all the people who actually paid the buck or two for it... one more time, a buck or two... :rolleyes:

Unsupported? How do you figure? The dev constantly pushed out updates and instead of just walking away he is still working on improving a new version. What more do you want?

Don't come into this thread and insult any of the members who paid for the app by calling them foolish.

Exactly, it's not that difficult. I really don't understand what all of the fuss is about.

A buck and a half, in US dollars, for the most part! :D

Frankly, anyone who accuses LevelUp of not supporting Beautiful Widgets is clearly drinking the Kool-Aid. I bought the app just a couple weeks before HTC issued their C&D and was asked to update the app no less than six times. That's -incredible- support in my book.

I have a small handful of paid apps, mostly the ones that make my phone nicer to look at or use (such as Better Keyboard and until I flashed to CyanogenMod, Open Home), but I'd be very very careful about insinuating that anyone is "foolish" for buying a piece of dirt cheap software, because really, if you don't have $1.50 kicking around, you probably shouldn't be paying the monthly fees for an Android phone. :)

And come on... from HTC C&D to new design uploaded to the Android Market within 48 hours? I'm impressed.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
In all honesty, I LOVE the new widget. Adds a bit of uniqueness and at the same time looks amazing. I am loving the font that mimmicks the 2.0.1 lock screen, exactly what I was looking for. My complete props to the developer, they have done an amazing job with support and keeping us informed. Definitely worth the buck and a half or so I paid.

As far as all the fuss goes, I agree with Jeremy and DA6. No one ever forced anybody to upgrade to the new version, so you could have just kept it. Screenshots of what the final product looked like were all over the place, so you can't say you didn't know.

Last edited:

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

A dollar or two is not outrageous to pay for anything....ESPECIALLY for an app that works great and to support a developer that puts many hours into making apps that improve our device.

R

Roy Aguilera

In all honesty, I LOVE the new widget. Adds a bit of uniqueness and at the same time looks amazing. I am loving the font that mimmicks the 2.0.1 lock screen, exactly what I was looking for. My complete props to the developer, they have done an amazing job with support and keeping us informed. Definitely worth the buck and a half or so I paid.

As far as all the fuss goes, I agree with Jeremy and DA6. No one ever forced anybody to upgrade to the new version, so you could have just kept it. Screenshots of what the final product looked like were all over the place, so you can't say you didn't know.

That and before taking it down, he told all to back it up. Then updated everyone on the changes. Finally clearly added on the app description not to update cause it would change the widget. Tama is awesome. I can't emphasize that enough. Great support and communication.

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site

Get over myself? How am I upping myself for one? Second, the thing that I was upset about is how me, and others clearly showed him this and other forums of people posting ideas..and people forwarding him their help and graphics to use. He turned them all down and came out with the inferior version. He had the chance to use many ideas including Brett's and he decided to roll with his own. No I do understand, he released a new product in 48 hours...goodie. I would have rather seen him take a week and release a polished clean version.

The new product is "decent" looking..but also VERY basic and plain. Not "Beautiful". He even states "not so beautiful widgets". Why do that for people that paid. I get it..it's only a buck..but we all still PAID. He has made somewhere between $10,000 - $50,000 so far off this widget. I believe for the $$$ he has made, he could have took some time and came up with a good looking widget since we all have paid him.

I know if I made that much off of you guys, I would have put multiple ideas up and had a vote on it, or came out with something really sweet..not something that I whipped up in photoshop that a 8th grader could have done. Just saying, I don't mean to be rude. But we do deserve better.

And BTW when you say "No offense to you either" don't end the paragraph with "get over yourself".

ChocoBilly

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
yeah ~ do what people (customers) want. Not what you (developer) like. Anyhow... like I already said, I'm keeping my original until a better version is released or it no longer works with the OS updates. Looks sweet!:D

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yea -- thanks for the post verifying that you can update and roll back. I tried it, and it worked gloriously. I didn't even know ASTRO had that feature until this whole thing, so if nothing else -- I've found one more kick-ass feature I didn't know I had.

I think I could deal with the new one if it wasn't all misaligned. The clock is off to the right, and the AM/PM is just slapped in there. Either way, I'm SURE he'll come up with something different, or provide users the ability to skin the widget. In which case, he's gone far beyond what any of us paid for it.

I think it will be fun to watch him work on it get it back to the level it once was. I know I'll still be watching the updates, patiently waiting for a new design, or new functionality to allow a skinned widget.

Also -- am I the only one who didn't know he stole the design from HTC? Until the C&D at least? I always thought the widget we see in commercials and on demo phones was the same widget we were all using.

R

Roy Aguilera

Get over myself? How am I upping myself for one? Second, the thing that I was upset about is how me, and others clearly showed him this and other forums of people posting ideas..and people forwarding him their help and graphics to use. He turned them all down and came out with the inferior version. He had the chance to use many ideas including Brett's and he decided to roll with his own. No I do understand, he released a new product in 48 hours...goodie. I would have rather seen him take a week and release a polished clean version.

The new product is "decent" looking..but also VERY basic and plain. Not "Beautiful". He even states "not so beautiful widgets". Why do that for people that paid. I get it..it's only a buck..but we all still PAID. He has made somewhere between $10,000 - $50,000 so far off this widget. I believe for the $$$ he has made, he could have took some time and came up with a good looking widget since we all have paid him.

I know if I made that much off of you guys, I would have put multiple ideas up and had a vote on it, or came out with something really sweet..not something that I whipped up in photoshop that a 8th grader could have done. Just saying, I don't mean to be rude. But we do deserve better.

And BTW when you say "No offense to you either" don't end the paragraph with "get over yourself".
As much as I wanna agree with you, you gotta remember that it is his product. He makes the last call not us. If he bad used someone elses idea it might have stold from the process. Those that did not like it would have said "he could not even come up with his own idea. Remember that you paid for a certain widget that still works. He asked that you back it up. He did not take that away. In this case you have 2 versions for the price one. He is well aware of the fact that not everyone loves it and he will continue to work on it. I do see that the majority of comments have been possitive on the app message board.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty