??The Official Thread For Questions, Comments, or Concerns about SPB Shell 3D App ??

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Perfect instructions!
But horribly unintuitive by SPB, there are many improvements to be made to this software
SPB Shell 3D is one of the most intuitive and organized UI I've seen so far, other than HTC Sense.(Gingerbread)

The rule of thump to any application is to first understand what is it you're trying to do. Changing panels, or folders are done the same way... and take about 30 seconds.

I'll try to make this short tutorial as (easy and understandable) for everyone.

Renaming folders and panels
By default folders and panels will be automatically renamed according to their content. However, you can change its name manually. To do so, tap the open folder button in editing mode and then tap on the folder title bar. Unmarked the automatic naming check box and type in the new name. Please be advice that it would be better to have folders on their own panels, thus making the this possible.

The steps are the same for changing panels / screens. With that being said - there is a manual for SPB Shell 3D available in one of my earlier post above.

It would be nice to give it s read.
Best of luck.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
SPB Shell 3D is one of the most intuitive and organized UI I've seen so far, other than HTC Sense.(Gingerbread)

The rule of thump to any application is to first understand what is it you're trying to do. Changing panels, or folders are done the same way... and take about 30 seconds.

I'll try to make this short tutorial as (easy and understandable) for everyone.

Renaming folders and panels
By default folders and panels will be automatically renamed according to their content. However, you can change its name manually. To do so, tap the open folder button in editing mode and then tap on the folder title bar. Unmarked the automatic naming check box and type in the new name. Please be advice that it would be better to have folders on their own panels, thus making the this possible.

The steps are the same for changing panels / screens. With that being said - there is a manual for SPB Shell 3D available in one of my earlier post above.

It would be nice to give it s read.
Best of luck.

What the other guy meant by unintuitive is that changing the name of folders is not easy compared to changing the name of panels. It took me a little while to figure it out. I also think that the manual should be in a help section built into the program, instead of searching on SPB website finding a manual.

You are right, it is in the instruction manual that I linked to earlier in this thread. Here is the exact way to edit a smart folder taken from the manual.

Adding Folders
Use folders to group related applications and other shortcuts to keep your
Home screen tidy and organized.
 To create a new folder and add items to it, select a panel where
there’s space to add a new folder.
 Tap-and-hold on the panel to open the Add to Home screen options
window.
 Tap Folder and then tap-and-hold on the new Folder to activate
editing mode.
 Tap the arrow button at the top right of the folder to view the
different styles, and then tap the check mark to choose one.
 Drag the application icon or shortcut and drop it on top of the
folder.
 By default folders will be automatically renamed according to their
content. However, you can change its name manually. To do so, tap
the open folder button in editing mode and then tap on the folder
title bar. Un-mark the automatic naming check box and type in the
new name.
 To remove an item from folder, tap the open folder button in editing mode and then drag and drop the
item out of the folder area

You are doing a good job explaining the details to everyone. Myself, I only have a few complaints. The startup still takes way too long. You actually have to move the screens (slide) back and forth until it works properly. It actually gets stuck for a minute or two until it actually works. The same with the APP draw. On first use, the app drawer takes a while to scroll, but after the initial startup, everything works, until you have to shut down the phone or restart it. I am still having widget disappear on screen, even though they are really still there, just not showing up. Finally they will reappear. And of course, my town and a few towns near me, not showing up in their weather widget, even though it is in the database that they get their information from, which is Foreca.

Yes I have let them know about the problems, even with the newest build, 1.04. I do like this home replacement and I am sticking with it. But they can add a lot more for what they are charging. Widget scrolling doesn't take up a lot of memory. Having Social Network widgets is almost a must now a days. You see where I am going. Hopefully they will implement new features down the road.

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It's between rain and storms here and the weather panel is flickering between the storms and the rain images. That is very annoying.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks -- by -(rush)

You are doing a good job explaining the details to everyone. Myself, I only have a few complaints. The startup still takes way too long. You actually have to move the screens (slide) back and forth until it works properly. It actually gets stuck for a minute or two until it actually works. The same with the APP draw. On first use, the app drawer takes a while to scroll, but after the initial startup, everything works, until you have to shut down the phone or restart it. I am still having widget disappear on screen, even though they are really still there, just not showing up. Finally they will reappear. And of course, my town and a few towns near me, not showing up in their weather widget, even though it is in the database that they get their information from, which is Foreca.
You have made good points on those annoying issues mentioned. I've sent an email to the technician about those specific issues experiencing.

I would appreciate if you and others experiencing these issues - could send them (SPB) a complaint email regarding these vexatious problems.

1) The length of time SPB Shell take to load:
My guess is - it has to fully load the SPB shell 3d UI. Some applications do require longer load time than others, however I feel like the loading time could be adjusted to a shorter time.

It's between rain and storms here and the weather panel is flickering between the storms and the rain images. That is very annoying.
I've had problems with weather stability on both HTC sense and SPB shell. What I did on SPB shell to fix that issue was to "force stop" SPB from settings - applications - manage applications - all - SPB shell.

That...^^ are uninstall / reinstall the app. (The only problem doing this is that you'd have to customizing your screens/ panels all over again.)

SPB say that they're working on improving quality and performance on their app.(shell 3d)

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had problems with weather stability on both HTC sense and SPB shell. What I did on SPB shell to fix that issue was to "force stop" SPB from settings - applications - manage applications - all - SPB shell.

That...^^ are uninstall / reinstall the app. (The only problem doing this is that you'd have to customizing your screens/ panels all over again.)

Ahhhhhhhhh, I'll try that on my next remembrance that it's annoying me. :p

Speaking of uninstalling/re-installing the app Rush... could we ask for a save settings to SD card option in future upgrades or is it there and did I miss that somehow??

PS - we like that you take all our concerns/woes to them as you seem to be all our "voice". HintHint. :)

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of uninstalling/re-installing the app Rush... could we ask for a save settings to SD card option in future upgrades or is it there and did I miss that somehow??
A request has been sent... I'm like the spokesman for all (SPB shell 3d) users on Android Central.(lol)

Note: At this time SPB is overwhelmed by messages by their users, and apologize for some questions/concerns that aren't answered at this time. Customers should be aware that these features do take time to be implemented / perfected. SPB can assure all its customers that your request, and/or concerns are strongly taking in consideration. (rewriting by rush)

Reactions: Johnly

gdcr

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Problem of Home settings not saved

Hi, I have a french HTC Desire Z (Vision) on Android 2.2.1
I purchased SPB Shell 3D and download all upgrades, but I always have the same problem.
20 times a day, when I hit the home button, a screen appears telling me to choose from HTC Sense and Shell 3D which home software I want to run.

I always choose Shell 3D and tick the "remember" option, but this choice is not saved indeed.

It's very very annoying .... Do you have the same problem ?

Thank you !

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
does anyone have Shell 3D closing when using other memory intensive apps? I'm on a rooted Captivate. When I hit home after using the browser, for example, Shell restarts as if I am just booting up.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have a french HTC Desire Z (Vision) on Android 2.2.1
I purchased SPB Shell 3D and download all upgrades, but I always have the same problem.
20 times a day, when I hit the home button, a screen appears telling me to choose from HTC Sense and Shell 3D which home software I want to run.

I always choose Shell 3D and tick the "remember" option, but this choice is not saved indeed.

It's very very annoying .... Do you have the same problem ?

Thank you !
(Usually checking the check box... then tapping on the (launcher) you want to use - (should stop the pop-up notification from showing up). Since that's not working for you, then try this -- force stop SPB Shell 3d from applications - manage applications - all. Tap the home (hardkey) on device - when the notification pops-up... follow the steps above.
Best of luck.

does anyone have Shell 3D closing when using other memory intensive apps? I'm on a rooted Captivate. When I hit home after using the browser, for example, Shell restarts as if I am just booting up.
There is a chance that the (application) might have gotten corrupted, and need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Good luck..

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Updated Info: (Msgs from SPB.)

Yes, we do plan to add scrollable widgets support in future updates. But we can't share further details (including any dates).
Reasonable answer... personally I can accept this.(Lets give SPB the benefit of the doubt)

Also, regarding the option of storing the app (spb shell 3d) on your SD card;
We do not plan such possibility.

Probably we'll add ability to save settings to user's Google account.
This wasn't ever a concern / issue for me, but as for the ability to save settings to your Google account...I'm all for that. With that being said >> SPB would like to take this (Opportunity) to thank all new and existing customers / users for their (continued) support. (rewriting by rush)

Last edited:

gdcr

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
(Usually checking the check box... then tapping on the (launcher) you want to use - (should stop the pop-up notification from showing up). Since that's not working for you, then try this -- force stop SPB Shell 3d from applications - manage applications - all. Tap the home (hardkey) on device - when the notification pops-up... follow the steps above.Best of luck..

This is working ! Don't know why, because many reboots should do it before, but for now, I haven't seen the pop-up anymore ! :D

Thank you, rushrl !

gdcr

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
:'(
Next day, the damn pop-up appears again and again ...
I retried the kill process trick, but no way, my choice is never saved.
20x a day, I must choose the launcher I want...

If the next update doesn't fix this, I will uninstall and forget shell 3D ... :-\

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
:'(
Next day, the damn pop-up appears again and again ...
I retried the kill process trick, but no way, my choice is never saved.
20x a day, I must choose the launcher I want...

If the next update doesn't fix this, I will uninstall and forget shell 3D ... :-\
I'm sorry to hear that... However, your problem isn't with SPB Shell 3D app. That sound like an HTC Sense problem going on. I doubt uninstall and reinstall the app would make a difference.

Lets do some more troubleshooting •>> From the home-screen tap menu, then settings - applications - manage applications - all. Scroll down and find HTC sense... see if "clear default" is enabled - if yes, then tap on it and disable it (its color should be gray).

If it's already disabled, then go SPB shell 3d and see if it's enabled as "default", if yes.. then something else is going on.

If all the above doesn't work..then "force stop sense, then press the "home-key" button and check the box and tap on the launcher you want to use and you should be good.

Good luck - I hope this work. :)

gdcr

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your time.

I already tried tha ; clear Sense defaults (2 programs called Sense : HTC Sense v2.008 - 5 Mo and one small HTC SenseQMR v1.0 - 168ko), even force close them (but they are automatically relaunched).

Shell 3D defaults are OK.
I even killed Sense services.
I have installed also a home launcher (Home Chooser Flow) but no improvement at all.

Can I force Sense to keep being stopped without root access ?
I will install a 3rd Home app to see if this problem is still here, and not the fact of SPB like you think.

Edit : same thing with 2 others home progs.

So, OK, this is not a SPB bug.
But how can I fix it ?

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your time.

I already tried tha ; clear Sense defaults (2 programs called Sense : HTC Sense v2.008 - 5 Mo and one small HTC SenseQMR v1.0 - 168ko), even force close them (but they are automatically relaunched).

Shell 3D defaults are OK.
I even killed Sense services.
I have installed also a home launcher (Home Chooser Flow) but no improvement at all.

Can I force Sense to keep being stopped without root access ?
I will install a 3rd Home app to see if this problem is still here, and not the fact of SPB like you think.

Edit : same thing with 2 others home progs.

So, OK, this is not a SPB bug.
But how can I fix it ?
Have you uninstall and reinstall the app? If not try that, and follow the steps above.

Good luck.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I am starting to get more and more crashes with SPB 3D shell. It is starting to restart itself out of nowhere. The lock ups are now coming more consistently, almost everyday. To stop the slow downs and lockups,at least temporarily, I have to empty cache, I few times a day. The start up times are getting longer and longer and app drawer seems to be getting slower and slower. Widgets and icons are now disappearing more often. I am using a stock HTC EVO 4G with 2.2. I have always have had problem, but it now seems to be getting worse. I haven't installed any new apps or done anything different to cause the degradation. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled SPB a few times, and still the same results. I continue to use it because I like it, but I might think of switching Home replacements soon, if SPB doesn't correct some of these problems. I do think this is more beta testing than a release version. Yes, I have contacted SPB about the problems, but no results.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I do think this is more beta testing than a release version. Yes, I have contacted SPB about the problems, but no results
The problem you're having isn't the result of the operation / functionality of SPB Shell 3D app, this is a release version that have been out of beta stage a long time ago. Apparently - there is something going on with the operation of this app on your device. I've been using SPB shell 3D since its launched on Android... and I've never had such a problem before. However, things do happen - and it's very unfortunate that it's happening to you.

If the problem still persist after another uninstall / reinstall, then you might wanna consider doing a "reset" of the device- to see if that might clear out any corruption that might be causing the conflict between SPB shell 3d and your device.

Good luck to you.
Ps. Please report back if you do a "reset".. to let us know if the problem has been eradicated.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem you're having isn't the result of the operation / functionality of SPB Shell 3D app, this is a release version that have been out of beta stage a long time ago. Apparently - there is something going on with the operation of this app on your device. I've been using SPB shell 3D since its launched on Android... and I've never had such a problem before. However, things do happen - and it's very unfortunate that it's happening to you.

If the problem still persist after another uninstall / reinstall, then you might wanna consider doing a "reset" of the device- to see if that might clear out any corruption that might be causing the conflict between SPB shell 3d and your device.

Good luck to you.
Ps. Please report back if you do a "reset".. to let us know if the problem has been eradicated.

I did a full reset of my EVO 4G. It is working well right now. The start up lockups seem a lot better. But as I installed more of my widgets, instead of only SPB widgets, the slow down started again. It seems certain widgets are causing a slow down. Clock/Weather widgets seem to slow it down. I have most of them, and tried them (Fancy Widget Pro, Weather and Toggle Widget and Beautiful Widgets all seem to slow down SPB on load up and cause some freezing. Also Pure Grid Messager causes it to slow down even more, especially combine with the clock/Weather combo widgets. Then add Dogcatcher, and you own music widgets, and another calender widgets and the freeze and slow down is amazing. I never had a problem with all these widget on any other Home replacement, (Launcher Pro, Go Launcher EX, ADW Launcher EX) For some reason, SPB Shell can't handle 3rd party widgets well. I am going to have to limit which widgets I really need to keep it from freezing to much. I know it is the widgets because after I remove them from the screens, everything is back to normal. I did check the running memory, it is comparable, and even less to when Launcher Pro, ADW and Go Launcher EX are running. Thanks for the advice, I was planning on formatting the phone anyways. At least I know what might be causing the slow down. If I didn't mention, that each of these widgets seems to slow down SPB Shell 3D, but combined it kills it.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, SPB Shell can't handle 3rd party widgets well.
I'm not quite convinced that this statement is true. Why, because out of thousands of users that have been using SPB shell 3D Widgets (including myself), I've never seen, or heard of such an issue with their device being slowed down (significantly)... because of SPB Widgets.

I'm totally lost at this point. Usually a reset, or uninstall / rei?stall the app would have fixed (most) problems. I've sent this issue to the (2nd level technical department) for some clarification on what could be causing such an issue. (If it's SPB shell 3d related or not).

I have several SPB Widgets, plus HTC sense Widgets as well... and I haven't notice any significant slowdown to my phone.

Ps. I would only assume that not every device is a "Chuck Norris", some are a "David Banner" (no pun intended). I do hope the problem could resolved itself somehow.

Best of luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87