A Question about Rooting and Updating my Old Samsung S GT I9000

kulyk

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to this--I hope I don't come across as a complete *****--here's what I'd like to do:

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S GT I 9000 in Qatar in August 2010 (a long time ago in tech world), and since then, I've moved to Turkey. I'm happy with the phone, but I do not have Android Market or the capability to download Skype, which is silly considering I live abroad and want to be able to connect with family and friends easily back home in the United States. After trying endless ways online to download Skype and being completely unsuccessful, I realized I had to upgrade my firmware (which is currently only at 2.1) in order to download Android Market. This means I have to root my phone. I've looked at youtube tutorials on rooting Androids, but then discovered that somehow I have no external SD card--I have no idea how that disappeared!--and now, I'm having trouble rooting my phone and taking the necessary steps I need to take in order to be able to download Skype or other apps I'd like.

I've backed up my contacts and media using Samsung Kies.
I've downloaded Unlockroot software program but I'm having trouble actually rooting my device. It keeps freezing on me.

What are the steps to take from here? I don't want to break my phone.

Thanks so much in advance.

KulyK

Moussa Traore2

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello kulyk

You will need:
•a windows computer
•odin3
• s1 pit file - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8bhobh0yjqfUm55N0pVazhoTnM/preview?pli=1
•a froyo 2.2 firmware - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14273114&postcount=2
• Samsung USB drivers

Now follow these steps:

Install Samsung USB driver on your computer.

Install 7-Zip.Use 7-Zip to extract Froyo 2.2.1 firmware to a folder.

After the extraction you should see 3 files with file extention .tar.md5.

Open Odin3 v1.7 or Odin3 v1.82 (depending on which one you have downloaded)

Hold Samsung Galaxy S I9000 in your hand and turn it off, while it’s still in your hand wait till it vibrates, because that’s when it’s really turned off.

If it didn’t vibrate then take out the battery to make sure that it’s completely turned off. Then put back the battery.
Connect your phone to your computer with a cable.

Put your phone to download mode.

To do that, hold volume down, home key, and power button until an Android and a yellow triangle image appears on the screen.

On Odin3 there are several columns of rectangles.

Now the rectangle below the bigger rectangle on the first column should turn yellow.

Now select the PIT file, PDA file, PHONE file, and CSC file by clicking the PIT, PDA, PHONE, and CSC buttons.

Now click Start button.

Now you should see activity on the first column of Odin3.

You should see a green progress bar.

On Samsung Galaxy S you should see a white progress bar.

Do not disconnect your phone from the computer at this point.

After it is completed, your phone will restart automatically and it will load into recovery mode.

In recovery mode use your volume down button to select “wipe data/factory reset” and tap the home key to confirm.

Then select “wipe cache partition” and tap the home key to confirm.

Then select “reboot system now” and tap the home key to confirm.

Now your phone should boot up normally.

You have successfully installed Froyo 2.2.1 firmware to your Samsung Galaxy S I9000.

Now follow this video to upgrade to 2.3 xxjvu
👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LV3-7nDEiM

Follow this website to root 2.3 xxjvu
👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇
http://www.android.gs/root-samsung-...-3-6-gingerbread-xxjvu-firmware-with-cf-root/

Don't hesitate to reply if you have further More questions and don't forget to enable USB debugging

Posted via Android Central App