Is the Moto G a good introductory phone?

iAnonymous

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am an avid iPhone user but I want an android device to screw around with. The moto g is the only modern device that's cheap as I don't wanna lay down the cash for a flagship.
First off, is there a way to get Ok Google on the G?
How is the performance of the G compared to say...the iphone 4s (please refrain from relying on paper specs, I want to know if the G can handle heavy games as well as the 4s since it's the least powerful idevice i had)
How well does it handle kitkat and will it get Android L?
If it isn't the cheap device of your choice, recommend me another one, refrain from recommending phones made by samsung and phones made before 2012.
Lastly, is there a place which I can try an android flagship for a limited time the same way developers and bloggers get devices for trial periods.
PS: Answer with the respect and maturity, I am seeking knowledge.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be an ok device to start with. I am not sure about games, but I think it will handle more than most people would give it credit for.
It should get L. I am guessing, but I don't see why not.
Can you elaborate on the OK Google part? Google Search updated the app so that you can activate it from the lockscreen, but it isn't like the Moto X where the screen can be off and you can trigger it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the Moto G should be an excellent introductory phone. It provides very good performance at a low price, and should get solid support from Motorola in terms of updates. If you're talking about Google Now, that's available on any Android phone, and the "Ok Google" voice commands can be given on the Google Now screen, or with a settings change, on any screen (although this may drain battery more).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
A couple of friends have the 4s and they are very envious of some of my Moto G specs. iOS 7.1.2. Improved performance for their phone, but still you won't miss anything using the G. And battery life is much better. Go for it.
Coming from iPhone you'll want to customise your notifications. Plenty of apps on the play store to do that.

Moto G from ACF