Why am I unable to update my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4?

ClipOnMullet

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Can't update AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4

My S4 is currently operating on 4.2.2 and I'd like to update it to the latest version. However, my phone was originally an AT&T phone (i337) that I put a T-Mobile SIM card in. Considering the fact that software updates seem to go through AT&T's over the air server, it came as no surprise to me when my phone refused to downloadthe update - because I have no service with AT&T. Is there a way to download this update through my computer, then get it installed on my phone? Or a way to manipulate my phone to download it over the air even though I don't have any service with AT&T? If I tried to use a T-Mobile program to update my phone, would that try to download a version of android OS built for a T-Mobile S4 model - and if so, would this be problematic for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can't update AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4

My S4 is currently operating on 4.2.2 and I'd like to update it to the latest version. However, my phone was originally an AT&T phone (i337) that I put a T-Mobile SIM card in. Considering the fact that software updates seem to go through AT&T's over the air server, it came as no surprise to me when my phone refused to downloadthe update - because I have no service with AT&T. Is there a way to download this update through my computer, then get it installed on my phone? Or a way to manipulate my phone to download it over the air even though I don't have any service with AT&T? If I tried to use a T-Mobile program to update my phone, would that try to download a version of android OS built for a T-Mobile S4 model - and if so, would this be problematic for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Try updating the device through the Kies desktop client. You can get Kies from Samsung here: Kies

Good luck!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't update AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4

And if Kies doesn't do it, try AT&T, Canadian Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin Samsung Galaxy S 4 - XDA Forums to see if anyone has posted the update file or the full 4.4.4 file. Either Kies - Windows and MacOS or Odin will install it. (Read the instructions in any thread you find.)

To answer your other questions, you can't make the phone download the AT&T update over the air, and updating with the TMobile version might work, but it might brick the phone - and you'd have to do it manyally, since TMobile doesn't have AT&T's list of phones to be updated. If you're doing it manually, you might as well do it with the right firmware. (A lot of the devs on XDA capture the downloaded file before it updates the phone [because it deletes itself after the update is complete] and post it just for people like yourself, who need it and can't get it over the air. Not just for the S4, but for a lot of phones. They also post the complete stock ROM, for people who mess their phones up and have to reflash the ROM.)