Battery draining after Google play services update

gaboon13

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,
Newbie here. I've got an old Samsung Ace 2 running gingerbread.dolk1.
3 days ago Google play services updated itself to latest version 9.2.56. Since then my ever reliable phone has been draining battery too fast. It also seems bit warm on standby which wasn't the case before. I've looked into battery stats and Google play services is at the top consuming most of the battery.
Is there any option to uninstall the update?
When i try to uninstall Google play services entirely it says "uninstall not successful"
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AndroidAgony

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Not sure why it wont allow you to uninstall. I'm having the same problem with the 9.2.56 bug, temporarily fixed by installing an older Google Play Services apk, but not much use for you if you're unable to uninstall the newest one first. Has dpham00's suggestion helped? Hope so.

alviniscute

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. I removed the cache and I also cleared the data. My phone has been messed up since June 27 and I have also done a factory reset, all with no luck.

Does anyone have any fix for this? I would love to get an older version apk file if that's known to fix it, I certainly don't want to buy a new phone!

CommunicateWell

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I just did an online chat with Google Play Help Center. My interpretation of the conversation is that Google needs to receive LOTS of complaints about this current problem so that they'll take notice and do something about it. So, I've outlined below the steps to take in order to file a complaint. It was EASY PEASY to file the complaint.

NOTE: They will likely assume it's an individual problem with only YOUR phone and/or battery; and will likely suggest all sorts of things to try on YOUR phone. This is because they are apparently NOT aware that it's a GOOGLE problem. Please see my communication tips at the bottom that may help with the complaint process. Maybe if enough of us file a complaint, then Google will resolve this!!

1. First, check to make sure that your device is a Google Play supported device. On the following website, and you can view the supported devices as a PDF document.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131?hl=en&ref_topic=3364265

2. If your device is supported; then go to the following website to initiate the process of contacting Google.

Contact us – Google

This will take you to a Google Contact Us page. It asks you to pick a category for which you need help. Click on "Google Play".

3. A window on right asks if you Need assistance now? Then it says to Sign in to your Google Account. Go ahead and sign in.

4. You will now be on the Welcome to the Google Play Help Center page. The upper right window lets you select The Best Way to Get Support.

Select "Android Apps & Games". Then, click on "Other". It gives you the option of Chat or phone call. I chose chat as I wanted the problem documented in writing.

Communication Tips ~
a) Give them the type of phone you have, with model #; android version etc.
b) Give them the Google Play Services version you have (if it's the newest update it's probably version 9.2.56 as of June 2016).
c) What percentage of the battery Google Play services is using.
d) Be absolutely sure to request in your complaint that your complaint be passed on to Google; and that LOTS of people are complaining & having problems with the Google Play Services causing battery drainage!

Good luck to us all!!!

CommunicateWell

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I just did an online chat with Google Play Help Center. My interpretation of the conversation is that Google needs to receive LOTS of complaints about this current problem so that they'll take notice and do something about it. So, I've outlined below the steps to take in order to file a complaint. It was EASY PEASY to file the complaint.

NOTE: They will likely assume it's an individual problem with only YOUR phone and/or battery; and will likely suggest all sorts of things to try on YOUR phone. This is because they are apparently NOT aware that it's a GOOGLE problem. Please see my communication tips at the bottom that may help with the complaint process. Maybe if enough of us file a complaint, then Google will resolve this!!

1. First, check to make sure that your device is a Google Play supported device. On the following website, and you can view the supported devices as a PDF document.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131?hl=en&ref_topic=3364265

2. If your device is supported; then go to the following website to initiate the process of contacting Google.

Contact us – Google

This will take you to a Google Contact Us page. It asks you to pick a category for which you need help. Click on "Google Play".

3. A window on right asks if you Need assistance now? Then it says to Sign in to your Google Account. Go ahead and sign in.

4. You will now be on the Welcome to the Google Play Help Center page. The upper right window lets you select The Best Way to Get Support.

Select "Android Apps & Games". Then, click on "Other". It gives you the option of Chat or phone call. I chose chat as I wanted the problem documented in writing.

Communication Tips ~
a) Give them the type of phone you have, with model #; android version etc.
b) Give them the Google Play Services version you have (if it's the newest update it's probably version 9.2.56 as of June 2016).
c) What percentage of the battery Google Play services is using.
d) Be absolutely sure to request in your complaint that your complaint be passed on to Google; and that LOTS of people are complaining & having problems with the Google Play Services causing battery drainage!

Good luck to us all!!!

p3dboard

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Check ou this post https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/zdz-98balwI as its a common issue with Google Play services 9.2.56.

I have this issue on Cyaongenmod 13 on my Galaxy S2 / i9100. There's a temporary work around mentioned toward the end to stop the battery drain (to do with a GPS-Lock wakelock being produced by google play services). Two different solutions, one if you have Root access and one if you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa