should i keep my new phone even though the box it came in was damaged?

kayakat

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
so i ordered a new phone from giffgaff, sony xperia xa1 ultra, because my old sony m2 has been very good to me (ive had it since i was 14 and ive never really bought my own phones before, but this is the first phone ive found and paid for on my own)

but the box was dented. like a very big dent, it didnt come packaged in anything soft to keep the phone secure, just a layer of carboard between it and the big bad world. so when i saw the box was dented i was very worried.
(the phone came in a box that was wrapped in a plastic bag that had the shipping address)

should i keep it even though the phone has no obvious signs of damage? it has what looks to be water marks on the back and was abit dusty too, which makes me really upset but my mum thinks thats fine, she thinks the box being badly dented is a reason to return. im not sure because the phone works fine i suppose. i used it for 10 minutes, did the setup, made sure the sound worked, charger worked, flashlight worked, it seems pretty good for a phone that was clearly smashed by something before it arrived.

p.s, this is optional to reply too so ignore if you want. should i buy a different phone if i return it? its quite big and slips out my tiny girl hands a lot, i could buy a case to give me some grip but if you think all this is a bad sign and the phone isnt worth it then please tell me thanks.

all answers are appreciated thank you.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi kayakat, welcome to the forums! I agree with Golfdriver, if you like the device and it all works, then by all means keep it.
Perhaps have a word with the courier and the supplier about the condition of arrived in... :)

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I tend to agree with @Golfdriver97 too, if you've checked out all the functionality of your new phone and nothing appears to be a problem, I'd keep it. There aren't any moving parts like gears or rely switches inside to worry about so when the delivery company banged up the box it's more about physical damage than internal damage so give it a thorough inspection.
Nice hardware specs on this model BTW:
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra - Full phone specifications
As for its size, taking into consideration it's new to you, perhaps it's just a matter where you need to get used it? I'd recommend getting a case for it anyway, better grip is a plus but also a case tends to help protect the phone should there be any accidental drops.

kayakat

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
thank you all so much. ive decided to return it and am going to order the sony xa1 (smaller and a bit worse, but a big step up from my m2 and hopefully wont slip out my hands like the ultra)

giffgaff support havent been that great but they do allow for returns within 14 days even if your reason is just that you dont really like it, so ill just say that.

i looked at the lenovo and motorolo but theyre just not what im looking for, thank you for trying though it was very kind.

thank you :)