I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 6.0.1. Just recently a problem has developed - when I try to connect to a public wifi source that has a login screen (such as an airport or hotel) the phone tries to go to google.com, and I get an error about the remote site shutting down the connection. I never see the login screen, and I'm dead in the water. My iPad and wife's iPhone have no trouble connecting
    to the same site and getting the login screen. As I mentioned this used to work fine, so maybe a recent Android update is to blame, or some obscure configuration that I modified by mistake? How do I correct this?
    02-26-2018 02:03 PM
    I don't think there's been a "recent update" to Marshmallow. But a virus could cause that. Try installing another web browser and making that your default. (Clear defaults on your current one, then choose the newly-installed one and choose Always. Then login-sites should use that browser. [You can sort of force it by enabling wifi, then running the new browser and going to whatever site you're trying to get to - the login page should open.]))
    02-26-2018 03:04 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! This kind of thing happens to me from time to time (usually the free wi-fi at the local Safeway supermarket). I suspect it's an issue with the wi-fi network's security.
    02-26-2018 04:42 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! This kind of thing happens to me from time to time (usually the free wi-fi at the local Safeway supermarket). I suspect it's an issue with the wi-fi network's security.
    Well it happened at two major airports over the weekend (Newark and Seattle) - seems hard to believe that a security screw up like that wouldn't have users screaming bloody murder leading to a quick fix. Plus as I said iOS works fine. Samsung support sent me a bunch of boilerplate suggestions which I will work through, once I find a public network around me that allows me to reproduce the problem.
    02-26-2018 06:16 PM
    Yeah, that has also happened to me at some airports as well. I've learned that just because an airport is big doesn't mean it has good wi-fi. Was just at Logan, and their wi-fi blows chunks.
    02-26-2018 07:07 PM