Transferring data to Nokia 7 Plus?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Greetings, Just got a Nokia 7 plus (my first 'real' smart phone).

How do I transfer all my data from my old works Samsung Xcover 3?

At the moment I have a laptop coming that is indefinitely in transit and so may have to transfer via wifi.

Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It can be difficult to transfer all data en masse, especially from an older phone from a different manufacturer.

For contacts, it's best to have them saved to your Google account (and not the local Phone account or the Samsung account), because then those contacts get synced automatically to any device logged into your Google account. To see if those contacts are in your Google Contacts, go to contacts.google.com on your computer browser.

For photos, I highly recommend backing them all up to Google Photos in the cloud, which can then be easily accessed by any device logged into your Google account. If you choose High Quality instead of Original Quality, you get unlimited storage: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

For SMS, you can try an app like SMS Backup & Restore.

For documents, the easiest thing would be to upload them to Google Drive.

If you used S Memo or S Notes or whatever proprietary note-taking app that Samsung had on the Xcover, those probably won't be transferable to the Nokia. This is why I always recommend against using the preinstalled note-taking app. Stick with a good cross-platform app like Google Keep Notes.

On the new phone, if you open the Play Store, tap Menu>My Apps>Library, you can see all apps you've ever installed anywhere. You can use that list to install them to your new phone. Keep in mind that some apps might not be compatible with the new phone. App data can often be difficult to transfer over or restore, so you could also try an app like Helium.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress