06-08-2019 09:05 PM
108 123 ...
tools
    I have a Huawei Mate 10 pro and have been using it for about 9 months.
    I used to have amazing battery life with close to 8-9 hours of SOT ( and still had like 20% remaining never really went too low).

Recently I have been getting a battery drain of over 20% per night even if the phone is in doze mode.
    I tried every method of finding out the battery drain and could not find it, assuming its a system bug i reset the phone but it did not fix anything.

I have wifi scanning and data always on turned off , so it disconnects mobile data and wifi if the phone is not being used.
    I have just factory reset my phone and am posting screenshots of all my battery monitoring.
    https://imgur.com/a/vfa4SGo

Please help me identify what is causing this battery drain.
    05-29-2019 04:46 AM
    Welcome.

The link doesn't open properly. I recommend posting screenshots.
    05-29-2019 04:51 AM
    The basic GSAM stats:
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_023338_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg

The individual app view( this says this list only accounts for 7.8% of battery consumed, it got covered by that notification)
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_023353_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg

the doze stats:
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_023538_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg

GSAM graph: (cannot explain the battery drain during doze)
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_030830_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg

The BBS stats
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_023456_com.asksven.betterbatterystats.jpg
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_023513_com.asksven.betterbatterystats.jpg
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_023521_com.asksven.betterbatterystats.jpg
    05-29-2019 06:37 AM
    Thank you. And to confirm, the WiFi and data settings you mention above are not new settings? You had them switched off in the same way before the high overnight drain started?
    05-29-2019 08:46 AM
    yes, those settings were always off, those aren't recent changes.

what's confusing me the most that gsam can't account for the battery drain.
    05-29-2019 09:31 AM
    It’s telling you that 19% of the battery charge was used overnight, and that the phone radio and WiFi together used 87% of that; but you mean that you can’t see how that can have happened, given Doze and the switched-off Settings you mentioned earlier?
    From the graph, something is obviously repeatedly happening under Active throughout the night, and it’s that that’s baffling you?
    05-29-2019 09:43 AM
    yes exactly, every-time I pick up the phone I can see it connect to wifi/mobile data which clearly turns off when i stop using the phone.

Here is the screenshot of the phone signal :
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_101704_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg

There isn't even a case of a low signal where its needs to be amplified
    05-29-2019 10:20 AM
    The phone radio is using 80% of the battery usage. that tells me that you have a weak signal, and that's causing the drain. (If the received signal is weak, it's assumed that the phone's signal at the tower will be weak, so the phone radio is transmitting at, probably, its highest power.)

Either you put the phone down in a dead spot at night (and a dead spot can be a few inches in diameter), or you're using the wrong carrier. Install LTE Discovery and see what the signal strength is. (The number should be 100 or smaller - it's a negative number, so the smaller the number, the stronger the signal.)
    pkcable likes this.
    05-29-2019 01:01 PM
    Here is the screenshot from LTE discovery
    Attached Thumbnails Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190529_133717_net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery.jpg  
    05-29-2019 01:39 PM
    One of the packages in Android OS may be the cause of the trouble...some app requesting location or trying to sync or something. I once experienced unexplained repeated overnight drain, and after several days eventually tracked it down through the system packages to a security app, which, though not set by me to do so, was performing a scan at the same odd time - 06.12 or similar - every day. Easily fixed once I knew what it was.
    05-29-2019 04:08 PM
    how do I go around tracking android packages? any specific app or process I should follow?

Its a fresh factory reset phone right now, I should do this before installing any more apps.
    05-29-2019 05:32 PM
    how do I go around tracking android packages? any specific app or process I should follow?

Its a fresh factory reset phone right now, I should do this before installing any more apps.
    I would look at anything you recently added , like a app or application . In doze mode to go down 20 percent is a lot.
    05-29-2019 05:37 PM
    I would look at anything you recently added , like a app or application . In doze mode to go down 20 percent is a lot.
    These stats were taken right after a factory reset, the only apps on the phone i added were GSAM and BBS.
    05-29-2019 05:40 PM
    These stats were taken right after a factory reset, the only apps on the phone i added were GSAM and BBS.
    Ok so now you have to go on a fresh start see where things will go on battery life.
    05-29-2019 05:41 PM
    Ok so now you have to go on a fresh start see where things will go on battery life.
    I'm going to keep my phone on airplane mode while I sleep tonight and see what stats I can record.
    Let's see if there could be another issue apart from Wifi or phone signal.

I had done similar experiments in the past and I usually lost 1% on airplane mode in 10 hours.
    05-29-2019 05:44 PM
    I'm going to keep my phone on airplane mode while I sleep tonight and see what stats I can record.
    Let's see if there could be another issue apart from Wifi or phone signal.

I had done similar experiments in the past and I usually lost 1% on airplane mode in 10 hours.
    Keep everything normal no airplane mode to see the whole thing and monitor it
    05-29-2019 06:25 PM
    Keep everything normal no airplane mode to see the whole thing and monitor it
    Keeping everything normal is what's giving me the battery drain in the screenshots. These screenshots were taken after the factory reset.
    I need to pin point the exact cause of the drain.
    05-29-2019 06:28 PM
    Keeping everything normal is what's giving me the battery drain in the screenshots. These screenshots were taken after the factory reset.
    I understand, but u just did factory reset and have only 2 apps let's monitor it like this
    05-29-2019 06:35 PM

I just opened Android OS in the battery stats and judged which were the most likely packages.

I stress, it’s not Android OS which is to blame, but - in my case at least - an app requesting something or other and the OS then granting that, as it’s designed to do.
    05-29-2019 06:45 PM
    One other questions , how long ago you did the factory reset ? You still seeing this kind of drain after factory reset and 2 apps installed ? I just want make sure I'm following what your saying so I can better assist you.
    05-29-2019 06:53 PM
    One other questions , how long ago you did the factory reset ? You still seeing this kind of drain after factory reset and 2 apps installed ? I just want make sure I'm following what your saying so I can better assist you.
    So I was experiencing a battery drain and I couldn't figure out the root cause of it.
    I thought a factory reset would fix it, so I did a factory reset a day ago and then made this post, since the reset did not fix it. The screenshots in the original post are directly after the factory reset.

Last night I left my phone on airplane mode while sleeping and it lost only 1% which is consistent with what I used to get before. I should be getting a similar performance without airplane mode.
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190530_031114_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg
    05-30-2019 07:30 AM
    Yes, you ought not to have to resort to airplane mode. Open a data connection. Let's get this fixed properly.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with either of your battery-monitoring apps, but it may be worth disabling them temporarily to see whether that makes a difference.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    05-30-2019 08:54 AM
    Yes, you ought not to have to resort to airplane mode. Open a data connection. Let's get this fixed properly.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with either of your battery-monitoring apps, but it may be worth disabling them temporarily to see whether that makes a difference.
    yes, the airplane mode was just a control test just to confirm there was nothing else wrong. Now I'm going to further test this.

Going to leave my phone untouched for 3-4 hours with wife on data off and wifi off data on, the battery loss should be 0-1% as I used to get in both scenarios. Let me post back with what results I get
    belodion likes this.
    05-30-2019 09:17 AM
    So I was experiencing a battery drain and I couldn't figure out the root cause of it.
    I thought a factory reset would fix it, so I did a factory reset a day ago and then made this post, since the reset did not fix it. The screenshots in the original post are directly after the factory reset.

Last night I left my phone on airplane mode while sleeping and it lost only 1% which is consistent with what I used to get before. I should be getting a similar performance without airplane mode. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190530_031114_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	303838
    Ok got it now , sorry for the late reply . I'll watch here see what happens with the steps you guys are trying here and will chime in info I can assist.
    05-30-2019 03:01 PM
    This was with WIFI ON , DATA ON , LOCATION OFF (no change still the same battery drain)
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190530_194552_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg

This was with WIFI OFF, DATA ON , LOCATION ON (no change still same battery drain)
    Cannot identify the cause of high battery drain.-screenshot_20190531_070002_com.gsamlabs.bbm.jpg

I'm going to run wifi on and data off now but this seems to be a cell standby/phone radio issue.
    belodion likes this.
    05-31-2019 07:41 AM
108 123 ...