What is RootPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
RootPA is listed in with my apps. I also have doubles of almost every app with some of them having just a slight variation in the title. My settings are constantly being changed (not by me) and a lot of the apps list Surface flinger in the Battery portion of the apps. Have no idea what that is either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, on this XDA thread (https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/help/strange-rootpa-app-htc-10-potential-t3539615), here's what one of the respondents said:

"RootPA provides service for provisioning secure applications that run on ARM trustzone and t-base OS (formerly mobicore). It is preinstalled in some vendors Android devices (search for this string on the internet: htc-devices-to-incorporate-trustonic-t-base-tee), but mostly unused as far as I know. The source code of some versions is available on the Internet (e.g. on github /Faryaab/android_hardware_samsung_slsi_exynos5410/tree/master/mobicore/rootpa).

It has nothing to to with rooting or unrooting the device.
"

ARM TrustZone is a real thing, and I confirmed that the source code is in fact on Github.

ashleedawg

May 19, 2017
Visit site
There is no way that anyone here would send you to an unsafe site. The site name is irrelevant. Why the paranoia?

That's a pretty ignorant blanket statement. Also condescending, rude, and just plain wrong. :eek:

Does this site have a "bad user scanner", 100% guaranteed to keep malicious users and their bad links away? (obviously not)

Jerks can be anywhere and it's safest to assume they're everywhere online (case in point).

My link advice to @Dconerly4 is, it's unreasonable to think you'll never have to click a link, but better safe than sorry. A good preliminary check before clicking an unknown link is to do a Google search on the domain and read through several pages for site reviews, etc.

That particular domain is indeed a cellphone unlocking service (pretty terrible customer service ratings), with fairly useless generic information about "cellphone stuff" like the uncited single paragraph about RootPA. So, a malicious link? Probably not. Helpful? Probably not.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
The person who posted the link is a trusted member who has been on this site for very many years and would not refer anybody to anything malicious. You are correct, jerks are everywhere as you have proven.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll chime in here:

First, for the most part, @Galactic Zoo is mostly correct: many people here who are established do post links that are helpful. Sure, there are sometimes cases where what I just typed isn't true, but much more often than not, it is.

Second, when links come from someone who is a badged member, like @B. Diddy, they can rest assured be safe. If he gives a link that isn't....him and I are going to have a chat. And I don't see that chat happening anytime soon.

Third, given that B.Diddy also followed up with a link to a more reputable site like XDA, I think that should have put the need for a citation to rest. While this is not academia, the second site agreeing with the first should quell any concerns about that validity of the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.