Anyone else having problems with their charger all of the sudden?

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Been using my TF like gangbusters since I got it a few days ago and have been charging it on and off. Realized this morning that I was down to 25% and plugged it in - nothing

Read over at XDA that there has been some issues for some folks who left theirs plugged in overnight waking up to chargers that do not work anymore

Realized that I did this 2 nights ago just out of habit - plugged in phone, laptop, tablet and let it ride overnight

Now I have no charging from my wall charger - I can slow charge with the device off whe plugged into other 5v phone chargers and and it will still link to my PC - so I know the cable is not the issue - I think it is the actually charging "block" that plugs in - BOO

-Anyone else?

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the exact same issue. I plugged in overnight and came back to 14% left. I tried several outlets in the house thinking that maybe the one I used was bad, but no luck. Read the same stuff you did on XDA.

I packed up the device (did not format it) and took back to the store I purchased with the hope of simply swapping out the charger. He plugged it in and it worked like a champ. The worst part of that was he treated me like some kind of idiot explaining how to plug the USB cable in to the block and then in to the wall, making sure that it worked.

Came home and it works in my house as well. VERY frustrating.
I will say that I have not plugged in for a couple days, however, if it does it again, I will be exchanging for sure and printing off copies of all the messages of the folks with the same issue.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, guess I will be calling best buys in the area until I find on that has it in stock. Thanks for the insight, currently able to trickle charge with the device off (extremely slowly) and it seems to charge somewhat off of my wife's Ipad charger

Still love the tf but the charger is a POS

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Had tried that it didn't fix it for me - have since had my LTFD replaced just to get a new charger. Call me immoral but I kept my original sync cable as a thank-you to myself from Asus for dealing with the crap charger.

umitasu

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone else having problems with their charger all of the sud

I came home today to find the end of my charge cable deformed. I had left the cord plugged into the wall overnight without the TF plugged in. The end that plugs into the TF looked melted, well the plastic around the end was and the cord was showing wire where the plug meets the cord. It wont fit into the device anymore either. Anyone else have this problem? I couldnt find anything on it in the forum... Thanks for any help...

umitasu

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Well just called ASUS and they said it was my fault for leaving it plugged in and it would void my warrenty. They were nice enough to give me a website to buy a new cable though.... I have never seen a charge cord overheat/become damaged like this when left plugged in... Am I missing something here??

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

That is BS.

Note to self, say it was under normal use when it failed if I ever have a problem.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Mine gets pretty hot, which worries me, but no failure yet from leaving it plugged in over night.

kktk

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Its happened to me as well.

The charger all of a sudden stopped charging the dock or the tablet.
I tried assembling it again, played around with the pins inside(just in case there was a loose connection)...nothing.

Then yesterday, after 4 days, it started working again just fine.

Weird!

starmonkey

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

My charger has been hit and miss in terms of reliability since I got my Transformer but it does worry me how hot the plug gets when switched on, i'll be reporting this to Asus...:mad:

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

There is definitely something about the fit up of the various parts that is not quite right. I accidentally popped off the plug part of the charger put it back together and couldn't get my tab to charge. Removed and reattached the plug end assembly a couple of times and then fiddled with how the USB cable was plugged into the socket and then it just started working. Not sure what I did to make work again, but I suspect a loose connection somewhere. For a portable device, the charger should not be this fragile. It should hold up to a reasonable level of abuse expected from constant packing and unpacking and it should not be subject to failure just because it was allowed to be plugged in over night. It should be able to handle a constant duty cycle like any other charger where the transformer and dock could be plugged in for several days straight just like a laptop. I would even be willing to go for a more robust, if not bulkier, laptop type charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87