DVDs to Infinity?

Soul TKR

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered my Infinity, but was wondering how everyone is getting their movies onto the tablet? I've got quite a large movie collection but am a little unsure of how to transfer them to the Infinity?

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Generally speaking, you rip the DVD/Blu-Ray using your computer + a ripping program (such as Handbrake), then copy the resulting file to the MicroSD card in your tablet.

Soul TKR

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, you rip the DVD/Blu-Ray using your computer + a ripping program (such as Handbrake), then copy the resulting file to the MicroSD card in your tablet.

So if I have about 500+ DVDs, your saying this could take some time? Lol

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I would use DVDFab. You can rip your DVD and Bluray movies to video files. I use it for my movies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Soul TKR

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I would use DVDFab. You can rip your DVD and Bluray movies to video files. I use it for my movies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yea I just got dvd fab today, unfortunately it doesn't have any presets for the Infinity tablet. I guess I just use the ipad presets?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I use DVD Catalyst. It has presets for the TF700 and if you have 2 dvd drives you can rip two discs at once. Or better: Sequentially without having to be there to swap. I often load 2 dvds at night and let it do it's thing while I sleep.
Copying the files to a 32gb class 4 microSD is pretty fast on a PC. Tried to transfer the files via Airdroid over WiFi, but that takes forever. Plus, Airdroid does not transfer to external cards and I don't want to clog up my internal card with media files.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Soul TKR

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I use DVD Catalyst. It has presets for the TF700 and if you have 2 dvd drives you can rip two discs at once. Or better: Sequentially without having to be there to swap. I often load 2 dvds at night and let it do it's thing while I sleep.
Copying the files to a 32gb class 4 microSD is pretty fast on a PC. Tried to transfer the files via Airdroid over WiFi, but that takes forever. Plus, Airdroid does not transfer to external cards and I don't want to clog up my internal card with media files.

Can't you plug in the usb and transfer via that? I'd imagine that would be pretty fast...?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Can't you plug in the usb and transfer via that? I'd imagine that would be pretty fast...?

Possibly. My home PC runs WinXP and doesn't "see" the TF700 since the JB update. My laptop runs Windows 7 and would, but since I'm doing much of the heavy lifting, like ripping the DVDs, on my desktop, it's easier for me to just pop out the microSD card from the tablet and transfer the files on the desktop.
I'm also developing an aversion to cables - probably a Dropbox user effect :sly:

I have not tried to transfer large files on the Win7 laptop which is mostly collecting dust these days, since I used it mostly when out of town, and I am now using the TF700 when I'm traveling. But I would expect transfer speeds to be similar - if Win7 recognizes the external card(s). Does it?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T TF700 since th using Tapatalk HD

Soul TKR

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So how's the quality on DVD Catalyst? Also, and this is a stupid question, but can you rip a Bluray on a regular DVD drive? I don't have a Bluray drive but lots of Blurays.

Is there a way to make subtitles available when ripping but have the option to turn them on/off on the Infinity? I like to have subtitles available, but don't always want to use them.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
So how's the quality on DVD Catalyst? Also, and this is a stupid question, but can you rip a Bluray on a regular DVD drive? I don't have a Bluray drive but lots of Blurays.

Is there a way to make subtitles available when ripping but have the option to turn them on/off on the Infinity? I like to have subtitles available, but don't always want to use them.

The quality is just fine for me. The movies look just as they would when playing the disc. DVD catalyst has several presets for the Tf700. Normal, fast, HQ1, HQ1 1080, HQ2, HQ2 1080, HQXT and HQXT 1080. Their website has all the necessary info: www.tools4movies.com
There's a fully functional trial version which rips 25% of each track on the disc. The full version is $10. Pretty reasonable IMHO.
I know that you need an additional piece of software to rip Bluerays - it's in the help files.

I remember reading something about subtitles, I believe that functionality is there. If you can turn them on or off doesn't have anything to do with the Infinity per se. It depends on the app you use to play your movies.

Soul TKR

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The quality is just fine for me. The movies look just as they would when playing the disc. DVD catalyst has several presets for the Tf700. Normal, fast, HQ1, HQ1 1080, HQ2, HQ2 1080, HQXT and HQXT 1080. Their website has all the necessary info: www.tools4movies.com
There's a fully functional trial version which rips 25% of each track on the disc. The full version is $10. Pretty reasonable IMHO.
I know that you need an additional piece of software to rip Bluerays - it's in the help files.

I remember reading something about subtitles, I believe that functionality is there. If you can turn them on or off doesn't have anything to do with the Infinity per se. It depends on the app you use to play your movies.

I see... Yea I've been playing around with dvd catalyst today. Still trying to figure out the best setting. They have them listed as you mentioned above for both TF700T and INFINITY. Which settings do you use? As well as what quality setting (you mentioned above).

Tom Whitmore

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I use DVDFab, choose ipad 1080p and the blu_rays so converted are fabulous. I put them on a 500gb usb drive, plug it in to the tablet and watch from the external hd.

Soul TKR

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I use DVDFab, choose ipad 1080p and the blu_rays so converted are fabulous. I put them on a 500gb usb drive, plug it in to the tablet and watch from the external hd.

Yea I went back to dvd fab. The quality just seemed to be the best on that one with the same settings you mentioned. Unfortunately I will only be able to fit 10 - 15 movies on my tablet, but oh well I can always swap them out.

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
You can always put them on micro-SD cards which are small enough to carry with your tablet, and then just swap the cards. I use DVD fab, rip to mp4 and have a few 32GB class 10 cards so plenty of movies, music concerts etc. for when I travel. Noise-cancelling headphones and it's a great experience on an airplane. Now if only we could get the airlines to treat us better...........would be perfect!

waldo859

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a external hard drive loaded with movies. What would be the best way to transfer some of them to my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a external hard drive loaded with movies. What would be the best way to transfer some of them to my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T?

For a large amount of data there is still nothing faster and easier than copying them to a microSD card (alternatively SDcard or USB stick if you use the dock) and popping that into your Transformer.
The TF700 can handle 64gb cards with no problems. That should last you a while...
And you don't want to clog up your internal card with media anyway,right?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2