[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

MAS956

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO][WINDOWS] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to foll

I was using 2GB PNY class 4's and never got either of them wo workk right.

Use the nook OS to unmount and then format the card first, then load everything in windows.

I just tried this and it formatted the sd card with a 1 gb partition and a 3 gb partition. writing the image to the 3 gb part + copying the 2 zip files yields the CM7 boot loop. When I tried the 1 gb part, it booted into Nook OS and said there was a problem with the Nook, contact customer support. I did the factory reset at that point.

Time to try a diff sd card???

biggy238

May 26, 2011
Visit site

There's no need to create your own partitions for this procedure. You only need to drop (write) the image on the freshly formatted card, kick it out of the machine, put it back in, it should label itself as boot at this point, drag and drop the OS zip file and the apps zip file. Once it's in the nook, it will extract and partition the card itself into four sectors. Once that's done, you should have an operable os booting from the card.

There are mentions of people using (eusaus? sp) to increase the partition size of the CM7 partition after the nook had booted CM7 for the first time, allowing storage space on the card.

You shouldn''t need to partition the card yourself for this. :cool: Only took me 3 weekends to get mine working.

jlindner82

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I had a spare 2 gig micro sd card, so I followed the tutorial and everything worked out. I wanted more storage, so I purchased an 8 gig card and followed the same steps. Everything loaded, except the market kept force closing. I started over to see if i did something wrong, but this time it wouldn't load, saying it was missing a file from linuxhacker.ru It still works when I boot from my 2 gig card. Any suggestions to get it running from the 8 gig?

Last edited:

dirt101

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

Not working for me either, using a 4g sandisk card, formatted with SDformatter. When I copy the image it puts a .gz on the end, I have to rename and delete that to get .img so the Win32 will see it, appears to write ok. Pull card, put back in and when I click to open it it says it must be formatted before using. I also reformatted it in my Nook and get same error. When I rooted before on 1.0 using the autonooter, the write seemed to take a long time, this one is done in about 5 seconds, is that normal?

Last edited:

maluskeeter

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I have it running off my SD card right now, how do I get it to run off the internal instead?

dlg47

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

Installed per instructions and CM7 ran OK on first attempt. Now I need to learn how to use this android stuff.

I did use a SanDisk 8GB class 4 chip.

Thank you very much.

Next day..... Booted from the same SD, it starts CM7, displays quite a different home screen (?), then in a few seconds the screen blanks out. Nook home button brings back the home screen but only for a few seconds then blank again. The only change I recall making was unchecking the lockscreen box as suggested in this thread. I'm charging the NC now. When charging done, I'll try again. If screen blanks, I'll check the lockscreen box and see what happens. After charging, same behavior so i decided to start over again. Seen next note section.

Created the CM7 SD chip again, after running SDformatter and wiping it clean, using same SanDisk class 4 chip as yesterday. Started CM7 OK same as yesterday. Home screen looked the same as yesterday, not what I saw earlier today. I did not uncheck the lockscreen box - yet. Not sure why this needs to be unchecked. I'll leave as is for now and see what happens.

Last edited:

gldnbear

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Missing Memory

I was able to CM7 to run on my NC. I cannot find the 5 GB of data storage on my device now. I rooted my device prior to creating the CM7 SD. I looked at the device settings when I booted without the CM7 card. I have 0.96 GB of 1 GB for available storage, and 4.5 GB available for internal phone storage. I found that the 5 GB was in the data folder using Root Explorer.

After I boot CM7, it says my internal storage is .93 GB. This is the data folder. What happened to the remaining memory? I also found under About Tablet, there is 488 MB available under Memory Info. Is this memory available for programs?

I have a 32 GB card, so I am not worried about space. I saw some references to resetting the partition sizes on the Nook. If I can create some more memory space for apps, I would like to do that. Has anyone tried to change the partition sizes? Is there any issues that can be caused doing that?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I formatted my card, put the image on my card with win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.1-r15-win32.zip mentioned by bmsinia. After the write, i unplugged then plugged back in my card. Then I dropped the 2 other zipped files and plugged it in to my nook. It went thru the installs and finally worked! I have it set up but the only thing is i cant figure to download other apps from the market. I can search them but can't seem to find the download button, unless I'm just missing it

reisb

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

So I was able to get this to work. One issue I am having is some apps in market are not showing an install button on top right. First thing after the name is the screenshots and then description.

When I first installed, market was not under apps either. I had to hold screen shortcut, applications, market.

Specific apps i have noticed are Nook, Kindle, Words with Friends, and Facebook.

If I goto books and reference under categories, none of the book readers are showing up. they show up if i search, but then you can't install. That defeats the purpose as my wife will not want to swap back and forth between installing/uninstalling card.

Ideas?

Last edited:

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
So I was able to get this to work. One issue I am having is some apps in market are not showing an install button on top right. First thing after the name is the screenshots and then description.

When I first installed, market was not under apps either. I had to hold screen shortcut, applications, market.

Specific apps i have noticed are Nook, Kindle, Words with Friends, and Facebook.

If I goto books and reference under categories, none of the book readers are showing up. they show up if i search, but then you can't install. That defeats the purpose as my wife will not want to swap back and forth between installing/uninstalling card.

Ideas?

Try searching. Lots of threads. http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=112989

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

muaetsy

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Ideas?
My fix for the reading apps-

I really don't like the Nook or Kindle apps ...I love Alkido
Aldiko - eBook Reader Application for Android

You can put the books directly to the sd card and get them directly into the program. I like the shelves better too . I was playing around the other day and put a few books on dropbox and was able to download to the sd card from there.

Books regardless of being purchased or sideloaded show up in the main shelf and you can make your own shelves as well.

adamcapps08

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

Edit: Ignore the screenshot...

I am now trying to copy the CM7 folder to the hard drive but it automatically partitions the SD card to only 113 megabytes after I do the "Start Win32 Disk Imager" step.

I can't fit the files on to the partition, so how am I to copy the CM7 folder to the SD card?

Last edited:

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

So I've been running the stable version of cm7 for a couple of weeks and want to try the RC (which I had trouble getting to load originally). If I understand correctly, all I need to do is replace the stable rom in my cm7 folder with the RC and then boot the Nook back up. I'm still a little fuzzy on how to get into Recovery mode or if I even need to do that. Appreciate the help.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

So I've been running the stable version of cm7 for a couple of weeks and want to try the RC (which I had trouble getting to load originally). If I understand correctly, all I need to do is replace the stable rom in my cm7 folder with the RC and then boot the Nook back up. I'm still a little fuzzy on how to get into Recovery mode or if I even need to do that. Appreciate the help.

You just have to put the actual SD Card into your computer and put your file on there. Re-insert the SD Card and then boot up your nook and it will flash automatically. You won't need to get into recovery mode.

Reactions: kugumby

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Okay, I was feeling a little full of myself and was going to try the nightly cm_encore_full-175 instead of the 7.1 RC. I copied cm_encore_full-175.zip to my sd card onto the boot partition (because that's the only partition available when you put the sd card in the computer), but the Nook simply booted to the stable version I already had running. No harm, I figured I'd delete the cm_encore_full-175.zip file and just copy the RC file onto the sd card and try that. Well, I can't delete the cm_encore_full-175.zip file from the sd card. I can't rename it either. I put the card back in the Nook, booted up and thought maybe I could delete it from the File Manager in Android, but I can't find it to delete it.

Bottom line, the cm_encore_full-175.zip file is taking up too much space in the boot partition and I can't copy the RC file to the card now. It is still booting to the Stable release I already had on there, so that's good, but does anyone have an idea as to how I can delete the cm_encore_full-175.zip file from the boot partition?

Update: Always check the easiest first things first. Turned out that the card lock slider slid to the locked position when I put the card in the card reader. Slid it back and no issues now.

Last edited:

kugumby

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to partition your card in order to use the extra space.

I have an 8gb card that I'm booting from and it appears that Android is using the remainder of the space that it isn't using for booting. I have almost 6gb of space available on the sd card according to Settings > Storage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45