color vs tablet

ma38664

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I did a search and haven't really found an answer. I have read the specs but to me they are just words on a page. I am mostly interested in reading, email and internet. I dont play games and don't really think I would use it to watch movies but I might. Anyways which would you recommend? Is the speed difference that noticeable? Is there any thing else that would make buying the tablet the better option?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Mic

mohawkx

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have never used any android device or smart phone before so the experience was very new to me. I bought a Nook Color from Walmart and a Nook Tablet from B&N. I also purchased a Kindle Fire for comparison. Overall I like the NT the best. It is lighter and smoother running than the Color and much better to operate than the Fire by a wide margin, IMO. It also has 1gig of RAM which is a very good thing. I sent the Color back to Walmart and the Fire Back to Amazon after comparing them side by side for 3 days. Now that I've been able to get access to all the Amazon Kindle books and Applications with EZGO loader and ZDBOX toolkit for androd I have access to many many thousands of apps and the whole Amazon catalog. The mod to get these apps is not a root or hardware mod. You just have to know what to enter one time and then all this extra stuff is available.
I highly recommend the Tablet.
Why not get the Nook Color at Walmart and buy the Tablet at B&N? Walmart takes returns, no problem as does B&N. Do what I did and compare them side by side. If you do, you'll probably end up with the Tablet, IMO.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want custom roms go with the tablet. Locked bootloader means I stay far away.

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Koopa: Which are you implying has a locked bootloader? It is my understanding the Color has an unlocked bootloader (reason for popularity) and the tablet was thought by some to be coming out with a locked bootloader, but B&N said not so.

Also, I just purchased a Color (recertified) through B&N via Ebay for $119. My assumption, based on research, was the Colors' bootloader is unlocked, and that is the reason one can load CM 7 through the SD card. If my info is correct, I (and apparently many others) think the B/N\Ebay deal was a steal. Would like your feedback.

Based on MA38s' OP It sounds to me like he/she could do comparison, as you suggested; but would think consideration should be given to the discount prices available on the Color.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The tablet can really only be used with the stock software due to the locked bootloader.
The Nook Color (obviously) has CM7 and will get ICS/CM9 (thus enabling tablet apps)!!!!
The Kindle Fire is also unlocked and slightly faster than the Nook Color - it already has an alpha built for CM7 and will surely get ICS/CM9 (probably with more dev support than the Nook Color, since that device is slowly being abandoned)

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Koopa: Which are you implying has a locked bootloader? It is my understanding the Color has an unlocked bootloader (reason for popularity) and the tablet was thought by some to be coming out with a locked bootloader, but B&N said not so.

Nook Tablets Bootloader is locked up tight. There are devs trying to work around it but it doesn't look to good.

The Nook Colors bootloader is unlocked and easily hackable due to the wonderful inclusion of SD boot that also makes it unbrickable as long as you don't break the SD slot.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I am currently running CM7 on a rooted Color, and I love it. I play games, surf the web, read books on the Nook app, etc. It is a nice little $250 tablet. No Google Video support because it is rooted, so if you want to rent videos, you may need a locked device.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running CM7 on a rooted Color, and I love it. I play games, surf the web, read books on the Nook app, etc. It is a nice little $250 tablet. No Google Video support because it is rooted, so if you want to rent videos, you may need a locked device.
Correction:
$200 new, much cheaper from deals on refurbs.

You can get google video by using an edited .apk.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Nook Tablets Bootloader is locked up tight. There are devs trying to work around it but it doesn't look to good.

Ok, why in the world would B&N go this route? Don't they realize that a majority of the popularity of the original NC was due to the fact that it is hackable. Must be that they feel customers won't spend extra money on their books and apps if they throw something like CM7 on the NT. After reading your statement re: the bootloader, my interest in the NT shriveled up fast.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, why in the world would B&N go this route? Don't they realize that a majority of the popularity of the original NC was due to the fact that it is hackable. Must be that they feel customers won't spend extra money on their books and apps if they throw something like CM7 on the NT. After reading your statement re: the bootloader, my interest in the NT shriveled up fast.

Because their business model is to sell apps, magazines and books, not hardware. That is where they make their money. The unlocked bootloader in the NC was a bonus to folks like us. That was never what B&N intended. I never bought a single app from them, though I buy their books exclusively as a nod of thanks. Many never bought another thing so when the NCs were first being sold and hacked B&N either broke even or lost money. Productions costs have since dropped but so has the price. Same with the Kindle Fire. Amazon is not trying to turn a huge profit on the device, they want to sell apps and books.

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Because their business model is to sell apps, magazines and books, not hardware. That is where they make their money. The unlocked bootloader in the NC was a bonus to folks like us. That was never what B&N intended. I never bought a single app from them, though I buy their books exclusively as a nod of thanks. Many never bought another thing so when the NCs were first being sold and hacked B&N either broke even or lost money. Productions costs have since dropped but so has the price. Same with the Kindle Fire. Amazon is not trying to turn a huge profit on the device, they want to sell apps and books.

This.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez