[HOW-TO] Download/Install Honeycomb to Nook Color (SD card)

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering that as well. Is it possible to include overclocking in the actual build of Honeycomb, for those of us that aren't adb proficient? Or is that not possible?

If it were a bit less laggy, I'd run Honeycomb as my daily setup.

I updated OP with a 1GHz kernel that's probably worth trying if you're having trouble with the 1.1GHz. No adb needed, just drag/drop like the other.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I updated OP with a 1GHz kernel that's probably worth trying if you're having trouble with the 1.1GHz. No adb needed, just drag/drop like the other.

I thought the instructions included using adb..., is that not correct? I don't understand the whole adb process, and am not sure I want to take the chance.

EDIT: never mind, I figured it out. Thanks!

Last edited:

monkeydeus

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So the instructions said if you already booted hc just use adb- but that was just for convenience sake? You can always just pull the chip out to do the drag and drop method? Thanks-

sgrif08

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been able to now.. after a few hours of deep reflection get my NC booting to HC2.... I am now working on the apk and googleservicesframework. I have removed the SD card and have it back in the reader, does it need to be in the NC? I am unable to locate the adb.exe or folder that remotley resembles the instructions... thanks to all that have responded my posts.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The ADB and then quick-pull is to wipe the cache so as to not have any additional information on it. If you install and haven't booted, there is a clear cache already, so no worries there, the system won't be looking for previous information. I would surmise that if you don't wipe the cache, and just do the quick swap, your system may have conflicting information, and cause all sorts of issues... lag, crashes, hang-ups, etc.

avidatta

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, so I connected my nook to windows 7 and two drives show up as external drives. However, both are asking me to insert memory card. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I thought the SD card compatibility was fixed. Someone please help. Thanks

NoNook

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you give better steps for installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb?

I am using Windows 7 32bit on a Netbook.

When I boot the nook up with the SanDisk MicroSDHC (8GB) card it boots Honeycomb just fine. However, when I plug the Nook into my PC I can't access the drives on the Nook to copy the files over to the paths you listed.

So just where do I find "adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)"?

Should this be on the SD card or the Nook after I plug it back into my PC (which I can't see the hard drives on the Nook when I do, Windows can't find the drivers for it)?

Thanks for any help.

avidatta

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you give better steps for installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb?

I am using Windows 7 32bit on a Netbook.

When I boot the nook up with the SanDisk MicroSDHC (8GB) card it boots Honeycomb just fine. However, when I plug the Nook into my PC I can't access the drives on the Nook to copy the files over to the paths you listed.

So just where do I find "adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)"?

Should this be on the SD card or the Nook after I plug it back into my PC (which I can't see the hard drives on the Nook when I do, Windows can't find the drivers for it)?

Thanks for any help.

I am having the same problem, I can't access the drives when the nook running hc is connected to the pc (windows 7). the drives do show up under My Computer

sgrif08

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem, I can't access the drives when the nook running hc is connected to the pc (windows 7). the drives do show up under My Computer

I am having same issue with XP for all the above. No adb.exe, folders or etc... trying to get the final part of the install done.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I asked this question above but I'll lump into my additional questions:

1. How functional is this build with widgets, notification bar, etc
2. When I've used Win32DiskWriter for SDCard images it's wiped out the card completely, is this the same?
3. If question = yes then how can one use the SD card for storage once it's booted?

NoNook

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm onto something. Running test now but this is what I have found.

android - Could not find adb.exe on my tools folder - Stack Overflow

You need the Android and Java SDKs. I think that is where the adb.exe comes in and I think it might fix the problem that Windows can't see the device when it's plugged into the PC.

Again, I'm testing now but wanted you guys to have this now. First one to get results PLEASE post your findings here!

sgrif08

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm onto something. Running test now but this is what I have found.

android - Could not find adb.exe on my tools folder - Stack Overflow

You need the Android and Java SDKs. I think that is where the adb.exe comes in and I think it might fix the problem that Windows can't see the device when it's plugged into the PC.

Again, I'm testing now but wanted you guys to have this now. First one to get results PLEASE post your findings here!

Please let me know, this is driving me crazy... I am not even seeing a tools folder much less anything else. I am still not seeing my drives with the NC when attached to my laptop booted to HC2

artaq

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, new here... Yeah you need to download the Android sdk + Java JDK (in order for the Android SDK to install properly) in order to get adb.exe to work properly. Also I found the ADB Install (do a search, can't remember where I found it) for the Nook Win 7 driver. Everything installed and ran properly when these steps were followed. Now if I could just figure out why my photos app crashes...

ferrels

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Video Problems

I'm running off of an 8GB class 6 card and I have problems with flash video. The first 5 seconds play just fine (audio and video), but then I get an error message saying that the video cannot be played. Downloading and installing apps from the market is also horrendously slow. When I say slow, I mean that it literally takes hours before an app is downloaded and installed. I'm using the nookhoney02a.zip image with the pre-installed market and Google apps. Is anyone else using this image having the same problems?

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I asked this question above but I'll lump into my additional questions:

1. How functional is this build with widgets, notification bar, etc
2. When I've used Win32DiskWriter for SDCard images it's wiped out the card completely, is this the same?
3. If question = yes then how can one use the SD card for storage once it's booted?

It's definitely not a daily driver yet but that's mainly because the devs don't have the full honeycomb source to work with. It's about 75% complete...just enough source to get things working...enough for the demo so to speak. There are still lots of FC's and things that don't work.

The good thing is B&N just released the source code so this will really help getting things working better.

Use winimager instead of win32Diskwriter.

The partitions are set up from the image. I don't think the full storage space is available but other people have had better luck than me.

Reactions: Tarpit_Carnivore

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm running off of an 8GB class 6 card and I have problems with flash video. The first 5 seconds play just fine (audio and video), but then I get an error message saying that the video cannot be played. Downloading and installing apps from the market is also horrendously slow. When I say slow, I mean that it literally takes hours before an app is downloaded and installed. I'm using the nookhoney02a.zip image with the pre-installed market and Google apps. Is anyone else using this image having the same problems?

Yep...i've tried different downloads and I see the same thing. Haven't found a solution yet.

sgrif08

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, new here... Yeah you need to download the Android sdk + Java JDK (in order for the Android SDK to install properly) in order to get adb.exe to work properly. Also I found the ADB Install (do a search, can't remember where I found it) for the Nook Win 7 driver. Everything installed and ran properly when these steps were followed. Now if I could just figure out why my photos app crashes...

Hey Artaq, I am assuimg that you have the NC with HC2 booted up and connected to the PC. Downloading both now and going to try it. You are then able to see the missing pieces of the puzzle?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38