Rooting the s2 GT-i9100M ?

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
1) Root Checker says I am NOT rooted
2) Titanium backup does not work because it says "could not acquire root privilges This application will not work Please verify that you ROM is ROOTED and try again."

3) Tried to re-root it again using Siyah's kernel. Still NOT ROOTED accord to titanium and root checker!

4) CWM manager says "This version of CWM manager should be used with CF-root v5.0 or newer. It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features have been disabled"

What gives?

Last edited:

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Using Siyah recovery mode (this is the only recovery mode that I have), I go to:
1) Choose zip from SD card
2) Recover-clockword-touch...
3) I select it and press the home button

This is where it gets worrisome - it says "CONFIRM THIS INSTALL? THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE"

How should I proceed?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Using Siyah recovery mode (this is the only recovery mode that I have), I go to:
1) Choose zip from SD card
2) Recover-clockword-touch...
3) I select it and press the home button

This is where it gets worrisome - it says "CONFIRM THIS INSTALL? THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE"

How should I proceed?

Click yes.

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Success! The phone is now rooted! Thank you for the advice, it is working so far.

Ok finally got root access. The system seems to be running fine, Root Checker said it is rooted and superuser is installed. What is my next step so I can get this phone to 4.3?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Success! The phone is now rooted! Thank you for the advice, it is working so far.

Ok finally got root access. The system seems to be running fine, Root Checker said it is rooted and superuser is installed. What is my next step so I can get this phone to 4.3?

Outstanding!
First you want to make a backup of your current system right now. This is called a Nandroid. You do this whenever you want to do something like flashing a custom ROM. That way if anything goes wrong, you have a copy of a working ROM.

What recovery do you have again? If Clockwork, or something similar check this out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...00292-guide-how-use-your-custom-recovery.html

After that, it is as simple as downloading the proper ROM files for your exact device, and flash in recovery.

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
1) do I download Nandroid?

2) Is titanium the same thing? I just finished running a batch backup of all app and systems using it.

3) PROBLEM : Clockword rom gives me this statement : "Confirm Phone Model"

My phone is not listed, so I pick "Device not listed above - click here is your device is not shown in the list above"

GT-i9100M does not have an officially supported ClockWorkMod Recovery yet. Have you installed a CWM based recovery manually?

Not sure how to proceed from here...

Last edited:

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok, using CWM manager, I went into recovery mode and did a backup to both the SD and the external SD card. I also backed up the system and all apps using Titanium backup.
What is next?
1) Slimbean ROM with GAPPS? How To Install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Paranoid Android ROM On Galaxy Note 2 (I9100)

2) Paranoid Android ROM with GAPPS? Update Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 and Other Models with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS! - International Business Times

I want the most recent update. I want to use my Gear Fit with my phone, but need 4.3 to do it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, using CWM manager, I went into recovery mode and did a backup to both the SD and the external SD card. I also backed up the system and all apps using Titanium backup.
What is next?
1) Slimbean ROM with GAPPS? How To Install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Paranoid Android ROM On Galaxy Note 2 (I9100)

2) Paranoid Android ROM with GAPPS? Update Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 and Other Models with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS! - International Business Times

I want the most recent update. I want to use my Gear Fit with my phone, but need 4.3 to do it.

Sorry...not getting any notifications for my subscriptions quickly, and I don't know why.

I am going to be honest, I am not sure how well this will work. Those ROMs are fine, but I don't know if the Gear will like an AOSP ROM as opposed to a TouchWiz (TW).

No matter which ROM you choose, you will have to flash a Gapps file with it. If you go from Say Slim to Paranoid, you have to reflash Gapps.

I am going to combine your other question in this post.

As for a Nandroid, that needs to be done in recovery. If you have ROM manager, you can select to reboot in recovery from that app. You might need to flash TWRP (a different kind of recovery) to flash some ROMs as they support TWRP better than they do CWM. There is an app called Rashr on Play that will flash recoveries for you. Be advised: If you made a Nandroid in CWM and then change to TWRP, the CWM Nandroid is useless as long as you have TWRP, and vice versa.

This is a pretty good video to watch (start at about 4:15) for general steps to make a Nandroid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qmTqPY60NY

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Again, thank you for the help. I am checking this post constantly, so you can bet I have replied ASAP!

The lady from Samsung told me that the Gear Fit will work with any phone that has 4.3 installed. I am not sure if she meant modified ROMS or not. You know what you are talking about and I don't so it is touch and go from here.

These are steps from the video, I am transcribing so I don't miss anything.
I am not doing anything until I hear from you.

NANDROID backup.
1) Ok I have completed the part from 4:15-5:00. I did the backup twice, once to the SD and once to the External SD card. This was done today and was successful. I used CWM Rom Manager to boot to recovery and then I back-up the phone. I hope that is correct and considered a Nandroid backup. Nothing says Nandroid so I wasn't sure.

2) The wipe data 5:15-5:45 (three times!? ?!?!) I saw that in both the posts for the paranoid and the slim. It makes sense, but I haven't done it yet.
3) 5:45 - wipe cache partition (3 times again).
4) 5:45- 6:10 - wipe dalvic cache (3 times)
5) 6:10 - 6:45 - install zip from sd card. Find it and install it.
6) 6:45 - reboot
7) 8:22 - restore apps by powering down and this is where I am lost with the Standard upgrade zip. I am not sure where that came from. Is that the GAPPS?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Again, thank you for the help. I am checking this post constantly, so you can bet I have replied ASAP!

The lady from Samsung told me that the Gear Fit will work with any phone that has 4.3 installed. I am not sure if she meant modified ROMS or not. You know what you are talking about and I don't so it is touch and go from here.

These are steps from the video, I am transcribing so I don't miss anything.
I am not doing anything until I hear from you.

NANDROID backup.
1) Ok I have completed the part from 4:15-5:00. I did the backup twice, once to the SD and once to the External SD card. This was done today and was successful. I used CWM Rom Manager to boot to recovery and then I back-up the phone. I hope that is correct and considered a Nandroid backup. Nothing says Nandroid so I wasn't sure.

2) The wipe data 5:15-5:45 (three times!? ?!?!) I saw that in both the posts for the paranoid and the slim. It makes sense, but I haven't done it yet.
3) 5:45 - wipe cache partition (3 times again).
4) 5:45- 6:10 - wipe dalvic cache (3 times)
5) 6:10 - 6:45 - install zip from sd card. Find it and install it.
6) 6:45 - reboot
7) 8:22 - restore apps by powering down and this is where I am lost with the Standard upgrade zip. I am not sure where that came from. Is that the GAPPS?

That is more meant to make sure wipes were actually done. I think recoveries are a little better at that. I do all 3 parts 2 times on the first flash to make sure. For updates, I just wipe cache and dalvik, unless the update is a major bump (4.3.x to 4.4.1), then I do a reset.

As long as you did that (Nandroid) you should be sitting in a very good position. I have run both Slim and Paranoid. Both are very good ROMs.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You know what you are talking about and I don't so it is touch and go from here.

Thanks, but believe it or not, about a year and a half ago, I was in the same position as you. Once you do this a few times, it will almost be second nature.

To simplify the video: Back up, flash ROM, flash Gapps, wipe cahce, dalvik, and reset.

netrate

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
So do you think the Slim or Paranoid will not help with the Gear Fit? Is there a reason? Is there a fix (I know I am getting ahead of myself).

so I install the SlimBean mod and then I install the GAPPS as well. Reboot and test?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So do you think the Slim or Paranoid will not help with the Gear Fit?

I am guessing. Since the Gear probably needs a signed Samsung ROM (basically any TW ROM). I could very well be wrong.

so I install the SlimBean mod and then I install the GAPPS as well. Reboot and test?
Yup. If you miss the Gapps, you will still reboot, you just won't have Google apps (done this before, more than once, accidentally).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87