Extended battery causing lock-ups.

hvalergir

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased the extended battery for the droid bionic today. I put it in and immediately went to my wall charger to charge it up. I was having issues during charging where the phone would become unresponsive after a while and a black screen remained. A battery pull would fix it. This happened 4 or 5 times in the 3 or so hours it took to charge to 100%. Additionally, the phone would lockup at random times after use (screen would freeze, power button would shut off screen, but never truly lock the phone). Also, i was having some issues with my network connection, and only getting 4G for a while, and speedtest not working. I tried my original battery, and every single problem stopped, even speedtest was running fine. I have it in my phone now, and things seem to be running smoothly... ok never mind, it just locked up.

i have simi battery widget on my homescreen that points to battery info, and at 100% charge the extended battery is showing about 4.15V, which seems a bit high, since the specs are 3.7 and most bionic batts run at 3.8 nominally.

I am also rooted using psouza4's rooting tool. I used tibackup to freeze several apps on Cory's "safe to freeze" list.

shoot, its actually locked up on standard battery now. If anyone techy enough can drop some knowledge or theories about the effects of switching out batteries on the stability of the operating phone, please drop me a reply.

TY in adv,

P.S. Everything has been withing expected norms until the first battery swap, thus my hypothesis that the battery is the culprit.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased the extended battery for the droid bionic today. I put it in and immediately went to my wall charger to charge it up. I was having issues during charging where the phone would become unresponsive after a while and a black screen remained. A battery pull would fix it. This happened 4 or 5 times in the 3 or so hours it took to charge to 100%. Additionally, the phone would lockup at random times after use (screen would freeze, power button would shut off screen, but never truly lock the phone). Also, i was having some issues with my network connection, and only getting 4G for a while, and speedtest not working. I tried my original battery, and every single problem stopped, even speedtest was running fine. I have it in my phone now, and things seem to be running smoothly... ok never mind, it just locked up.

i have simi battery widget on my homescreen that points to battery info, and at 100% charge the extended battery is showing about 4.15V, which seems a bit high, since the specs are 3.7 and most bionic batts run at 3.8 nominally.

I am also rooted using psouza4's rooting tool. I used tibackup to freeze several apps on Cory's "safe to freeze" list.

shoot, its actually locked up on standard battery now. If anyone techy enough can drop some knowledge or theories about the effects of switching out batteries on the stability of the operating phone, please drop me a reply.

TY in adv,

P.S. Everything has been withing expected norms until the first battery swap, thus my hypothesis that the battery is the culprit.

I actually had to do my first battery pull due to an unresponsive system after using my extended battery for the first time. However, I think it is probably a coincidence.

All Li Ion batteries typically have a nominal voltage around 3.6v or 3.7v, however fresh of the charger they will be at ~ 4.2V and when they are depleted and ready to be recharged they will be in the 2.8V to 3.4V, depending on the minimum voltage required for the phone to run and be stable.

A bad battery could be the culprit, but I think you pretty much ruled that out because you had a similar problem with the standard battery. There would most likely be some other signs if the battery was the problem such as it dying very rapidly.

Anyway, although you could have a bad battery I would be willing to bet it is something else. Are you letting the phone shut down completely before pulling the battery, when possible? Are you having problems when the phone is plugged in and charging? because this also makes it less likely that the battery is causing the problem. A bad battery generally causes problems because it is unable to supply the proper current required by the system and the Voltage begins to "sag". However, if plugged in there should not be as much strain on the battery.

Good luck!

Reactions: hvalergir

hvalergir

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My first hypothesis was that it was the battery, and that was simply due to the fact that none of these battery pulls (and i was doing it A LOT) really ever happened beforehand, except once. Then with the new battery, the frequency jumped to 1-2/hour during use. However, without fail, switching to the old battery would cause this as well, but seemed to be more stable after the first pull. The system would lockup and would not power down normally, so an abrupt pull was required. I have started to back out some of my root apps in an attempt to explore other avenues. I just got rid of SetCpu and SuperManager. The latter actually had a process running in the background, some "memory cleaning" and othger functions, that I could more easily see impacting the stability of my device. After the first reboot, no errors so far (15 mins, lol) I will try this back and forth between the batteries and report back.

ATTN MODERATORS: this thread may have to be moved into some general troubleshooting section, as the scope of the investigation has changed.

Thanks,

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
My first hypothesis was that it was the battery, and that was simply due to the fact that none of these battery pulls (and i was doing it A LOT) really ever happened beforehand, except once. Then with the new battery, the frequency jumped to 1-2/hour during use. However, without fail, switching to the old battery would cause this as well, but seemed to be more stable after the first pull. The system would lockup and would not power down normally, so an abrupt pull was required. I have started to back out some of my root apps in an attempt to explore other avenues. I just got rid of SetCpu and SuperManager. The latter actually had a process running in the background, some "memory cleaning" and othger functions, that I could more easily see impacting the stability of my device. After the first reboot, no errors so far (15 mins, lol) I will try this back and forth between the batteries and report back.

ATTN MODERATORS: this thread may have to be moved into some general troubleshooting section, as the scope of the investigation has changed.

Thanks,
SetCPU will cause serious problems on the Bionic. It is designed to work on single core CPUs not dual-core and I believe it would require a custom kernel anyway. SuperManager also sounds problematic. I think you are on the right track. :)

Reactions: hvalergir

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had the extended battery for a week now, and have not pulled the battery since putting it in. I guess I'm just lucky!

hvalergir

May 3, 2011
Visit site
SetCPU will cause serious problems on the Bionic. It is designed to work on single core CPUs not dual-core and I believe it would require a custom kernel anyway. SuperManager also sounds problematic. I think you are on the right track. :)

Yup, everything seems to be kosher now! Thank you for your replies.

hvalergir

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Follow up for anyone having a similar issue: removal of both Set CPU and SuperModerator seamed to have fixed the issue entirely for the reasons stated by GBH2 above. Cory Streater himself recommended SuperModerator, so i am inclined to believe that SetCPU was entirely at fault.

Thanks again,

kawyatt

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
First couple days I had my Bionic with thet standard battery it was fine. I have not rooted it. I do run the advanced task killer and the battery life is good, all day from 4am to 7 almost 8pm before charging. I just received the extended battery day before yesterdy. Installed it and had no problems until later in the evening yesterday. It shut down on me 3 times and I had to do a battery pull. The battery showed 3/4 + power left. I will give it over the weekend and see how it does. if it happens again i'm switching to the standard battery and see what happens. since I closely manage my apps and power usage I should be ok with the standard battery. Although I do like the idea of not worrying wbout the battery power especially when using any of the Navigation apps.

amalskdfj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I do not have setcpu but yet after installing my extended battery yesterday night, this afternoon I felt the same lock on me. Difference is that when it locked, I could still use power button to lock the screen and unlock later on. Also saw that new mail notification was working but can't do anything else.

Rooted with Liberty ROM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87