Major flaw in this phone

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I put in a picture password, and it did not ask me to input secondary password in case the picture password fails. Now my phone is locked and there is absolutely no way for me to get into it because I don't remember where I put the number!

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
The discussion over at CrackBerry got a bit out of hand, but the bottom line is they'll have to do a factory reset due to the fact there is no Device PIN to fall back on. In BB10, when setting up Picture Password, it forces you to setup a Device PIN as well. I seems the PRIV does not force this, so if you only setup a Picture Password and forget it, you are out of luck.

Maybe an oversight by BlackBerry on this setup, or maybe intentional... but a lesson to be learned for sure.

The user guide linked here recommends this as well:

http://help.blackberry.com/en/priv/5.1/user-guide-pdf/PRIV-5.1-User-Guide-en.pdf

"Picture: A picture password requires you to move a number (that you choose) to a specific location (that you choose) on a picture (that you also choose). A picture password provides a convenient way to unlock your device and is difficult for someone else to figure out. If you set up a picture password, you must also set a backup screen lock in case you forget your picture password combination."

Good to know.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I was going to say that I had to put in a numeric password before setting up picture password. Already been pointed out. On bb10 you set the numeric pw. You then set the picture password if you choose. Either way you get 10 attempts before your phone gets wiped. On attempt 5 it tells you to enter BlackBerry in order to get the next attempt. If I'm not mistaken, on attempt 6 you have to actually put in your numeric pw. I. Surprised that BlackBerry allowed a picture password to be set up without the other.

posted with my bb10 z30

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The discussion over at CrackBerry got a bit out of hand, but the bottom line is they'll have to do a factory reset due to the fact there is no Device PIN to fall back on. In BB10, when setting up Picture Password, it forces you to setup a Device PIN as well. I seems the PRIV does not force this, so if you only setup a Picture Password and forget it, you are out of luck.

Maybe an oversight by BlackBerry on this setup, or maybe intentional... but a lesson to be learned for sure.

The user guide linked here recommends this as well:

http://help.blackberry.com/en/priv/5.1/user-guide-pdf/PRIV-5.1-User-Guide-en.pdf

"Picture: A picture password requires you to move a number (that you choose) to a specific location (that you choose) on a picture (that you also choose). A picture password provides a convenient way to unlock your device and is difficult for someone else to figure out. If you set up a picture password, you must also set a backup screen lock in case you forget your picture password combination."

Good to know.

The people on Crackberry were snarky jerks.

I figured it out. You can factory reset your phone via google play on your web browser, as long as you're logged in with your google username and password on your phone.

BlackBerry needs to fix this issue soon.

tufcustomer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea, some are still pretty sour about the android move over on CrackBerry. As stated above, they usually have you set up a password in addition to the picture password on BB10. Not sure why it hasn't carried over this way to android.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I want to apologize for the behaviour of the Crackberry crowd although I shouldn't have to. There are a few over here that are bitter about seeing a BlackBerry on this forum but it doesn't hold a candle to the treatment you got over there from people who are just unreasonable about BlackBerry and android. I'm glad you got your phone working.

posted with my bb10 z30

lady of the lake

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
There are definitely a few obnoxious CrackBerry members but the majority are very helpful. It's too bad you encountered some jerks. Glad you were able to solve your problem. Please don't base your judgement of all CrackBerry members on a few snarky comments.

My soon to be replaced BlackBerry Z30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress